DC Metro incident

Phoenix

Reaction score
Holy smokes! I headed over to L'Enfant Plaza metro at 4:30 PM yesterday, after work, to take the same Yellow line that had the problem an hour earlier, which I didn't know about. The entire metro station was locked & shut down and it seemed as if the entire fleet of DC fire trucks and ambulances were there. I'm glad I wasn't on that Yellow line when the smoke happened, and condolences to the lady who died and the 80 or so taken to hospital. Wow. I sometimes take that 3:30 line too.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/13/smoke-at-lenfant-plaza-station/

The National Transportation Safety Board was investigating what caused one of Washington's busiest subway stations to fill with smoke Monday afternoon, resulting in the death of 1 person and injuries to 84 others.

Officials said the woman who died and many of the injured were riders aboard a Virginia-bound Yellow Line train that had just departed the L'Enfant Plaza station shortly before 3:30 p.m. local time when it suddenly came to a halt 800 yards beyond the platform and began to fill with smoke.

At a news conference late Monday night, NTSB officials said a so-called "electrical arcing event" occurred approximately 1,100 feet in front of the train. The term refers to what happens when water hits an electrified third rail and sometimes generates smoke. Officials added that there was between half an inch and an inch of water on the ground next to the third rail, but it was not clear why the train came to a sudden stop.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I take the Green Line from L'Enfant regularly as well. I ended up catching a ride, but it was pretty chaotic yesterday esp. considering so many federal agencies are located near that stop. There were initial rumors it was terrorism, etc. until they clarified what specifically happened. Surprising it resulted from something relatively "simple" after everything calmed down. DC Metro also had some employees die last year while working on wet train tracks on the Red line out near Rockville.