DC: Solari Bringing Edge Back to Dallas O-line

Verdict

Reaction score
The week 1 starting OL should be Tyron, Tyler, Biadasz, Martin, Steele.

The other linemen are depth. This is probably not even all the players on the roster. Once teams cut to 53 there will be other options.

Dallas is not in a bad spot with four months before the season starts.
This is not going to be popular, but Tyler Smith should be your LT. He is better than Tyron at this point.

I doubt that Tyron is currently one of the top 5, but if he plays it would probably be best to have him inside a phone booth at LG. Tyron’s mobility is poor at this point.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is the biggest positive of change for the offense

Brooksey

Reaction score
It didnt perform at a high level last year and we are worse this year. McGovern who sucked replaced by Chung who sucks even more. So Im curious as how its going to perform at a high level.
How many sacks did Nick Bosa have in the playoffs? ZERO and two pressures, Tyron never even played RT before :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
The Dallas Cowboys O-line with Tyron healthy at LT and Tyler Smith inside at Guard is Top 10 maybe 5. 3 pro bowlers, probably 4 when Tyler gets in this year and two future hall of famers.

You only say this to protect your GF

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is not going to be popular, but Tyler Smith should be your LT. He is better than Tyron at this point.

I doubt that Tyron is currently one of the top 5, but if he plays it would probably be best to have him inside a phone booth at LG. Tyron’s mobility is poor at this point.
Tyron is done as a dependable pro bowler. At this point he is either playing dinged up, at 80% or completely hurt. Hes nothing more than a great swing tackle for a stretch in the season.

Hopefully it would be at RG the first 4 or 5 games until Steele is 100%. By the 5th game he will either be hurt or dinged up and can go back to resting on the bench.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How many sacks did Nick Bosa have in the playoffs? ZERO and two pressures, Tyron never even played RT before :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
The Dallas Cowboys O-line with Tyron healthy at LT and Tyler Smith inside at Guard is Top 10 maybe 5. 3 pro bowlers, probably 4 when Tyler gets in this year and two future hall of famers.

"tyron healthy"

When has he been healthy? He missed the first 13 games? How many?

Chances are that he will get hurt during the season and will miss the playoffs.

So forget about Tyron healthy when you need him. Chances are that wont happen.

How many games will Steele miss until he is 100%. And will he even be as good as he was? Which was good, but not great. Will he be a Gallup?

This line is in big trouble right now. Its teetering on disaster. We are one Tyron dinged up practice away from no Steele and no Tryon to begin the season.

So your talking Walenzko and Chung as two starters? LOL

Thats called game over.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

And buddy..............The Cowboys oline against the Niners was a horror show. Couldnt run and couldnt pass protect.

Thats like saying Zeke was a pro bowler and HOFer. LOL

Not anymore. How did ZEke do in the Niners game? 30 yards?

Brooksey

Reaction score
"tyron healthy"

When has he been healthy? He missed the first 13 games? How many?

Chances are that he will get hurt during the season and will miss the playoffs.

So forget about Tyron healthy when you need him. Chances are that wont happen.

How many games will Steele miss until he is 100%. And will he even be as good as he was? Which was good, but not great. Will he be a Gallup?

This line is in big trouble right now. Its teetering on disaster. We are one Tyron dinged up practice away from no Steele and no Tryon to begin the season.

So your talking Walenzko and Chung as two starters? LOL

Thats called game over.
He's healthy right now and he's 32 years old, he totally handled Bosa in playoffs...he may miss 3-4 games but the big news for him is his back has been good for two years since surgery.

Do you need 5 pro-bowlers?..You're gonna get 3-4

Brooksey

Reaction score
And buddy..............The Cowboys oline against the Niners was a horror show. Couldnt run and couldnt pass protect.

Thats like saying Zeke was a pro bowler and HOFer. LOL

Not anymore. How did ZEke do in the Niners game? 30 yards?
Zeke was a horror show, Dak was even worse. The o-line was fine and so was the d-line.

Big tough SF was being handled in the trenches, too bad Pollard broke his leg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke was a horror show, Dak was even worse. The o-line was fine and so was the d-line.

Big tough SF was being handled in the trenches, too bad Pollard broke his legs

So Dak sucked and Zeke sucked but the line played great? That doesnt even make sense.

What makes more sense is what really happened. The Oline was completely outclassed and had a bad day against the #1 defense in the NFL which is why Zeke and Pollard couldnt go anywhere and why Dak couldnt do anything.

Defense did great until the 4th quarter when they got steamrolled. Cant say I much blame them, but they folded in the 4th. SF D outplayed them and hung tough for 4 quarters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's healthy right now and he's 32 years old, he totally handled Bosa in playoffs...he may miss 3-4 games but the big news for him is his back has been good for two years since surgery.

Do you need 5 pro-bowlers?..You're gonna get 3-4
So how did Tyron handle Bosa when there was no running room for our backs and Dak was under pressure all day long?

No chance Tyron is healthy all year. At this point all we have is an aging pro bowler in Martin and Biadasz who is a borderline pro bowler.

Steele is hurt, Tyron wont be playing and Tyler I like, but he will be moving from LG to LT. No continuity and Chuma sucks.

plasticman

Reaction score
Really? He's bringing back the "edge".

He was a Cowboys assistant O-line coach in 1986? Wasn't he one of the guys responsible for training Phil Pozderac, the guy who single handedly destroyed that 1986 season?

The Cowboys were 6-2 midway through the season. They were tearing it up with a lethal combination of Hershcel Walker and Tony Dorsett.

That's when Pozderac went on a total penalty binge. His penalies weren't the real problem. The real problem was they happened during some of the biggest plays of the season for the Cowboys. White would complete a 3rd and 20 in the 4th quarter during a potential winning drive and then we would see the yellow flag and instantly know who to blame.

"Holding, number 75"

Danny White went down in game #9 after constantly getting hammered trying to pass the ball.

After 20 (and a half) consecutive winning seasons, a few plays in a few games initiated the Cowboys collapse and the offensive line, especially Pozderac, It was uncanny how they simply self destructed despite looking strong in the first half of the season.

And Solari was a O-line coach back then? How was he even allowed back into the building? That one entry on his resume should have banished him for life.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Are you confident Tyron can contribute at any position the team deems fit other than his left tackle?
And, for how long?

How confident are you the team thinks they will get quality production out of Steele after having a knee injury which takes more than one season to heel completely and get back to form?

Since the rumbling is Steele may have to man left guard, what do you believe the results will be?
And if Steele is the swing offensive lineman, which has been suggested, what production do you believe he will offer?

If Tyler Smith has to play left tackle because the brain trust thinks Tyron is a right tackle, how confident are you with Asim Richards or Chuma Edoga at left guard?
Do either of those men cause you to believe they are better than McGovern, who was not all that to begin with?

And from your comments, you believe this new coach will elevate lesser players to a point Dallas once again has a top flight offensive line? Or, as you said bonafide good starting material.

Last year the line was eroding as time wore on. Bringing in the old guy from Philly as an option, then moving Tyron to the right tackle spot was questionable at best. The results were on the field when they faced tougher competition.

Edoga is 25 and comes from the Jets. Why would they release him if he could be coached up? I understand different franchises offer different opportunities. But to my way of thinking, the mix and match line last year was an abject failure at times. Other times they played well but not great. How is one year older on this line going to be better?

Either Tyron plays left tackle and you move Tyler to right tackle and then cross your fingers you can find a guard out of the rest of the non starters.

Or you move Tyler inside and Tyron to left tackle and who plays right tackle. I do not believe anyone who looks at the injury Steele had and thinks he will come back at 100% isn't fooling himself. Especially if you wish to move him around.

I was very vocal at getting Torrence. And he was there in the second. They went with a blocking TE, but I was assured when people rallied to chase Schultz out of town with pitchforks and torches that the TE's still here were enough. I guess the brain trust thinks the best guard in the draft - so says most of the pros - is not as good as drafting a TE who is an okay blocker.

Dallas is rolling the dice on this line. It seems to me they cannot actually work on both sides of the ball in assembling a team in the same year. I have stated Dak needs better protection to bring to the table the best he can be. I do not share the opinion he is crapola like so many here do. But for him to rise up and deliver the ball, he needs more time in a clean pocket.

Dallas seems to have ignored that opinion.

I am holding out for a June 1st cut of an offensive lineman who can come in and play left guard, which leave better options than uprooting Tyron to the other side, or one of your best tackles in Tyler to guard, and leave a tackle hole.

Just my opinion.
I whole heartly agree with your sentiments. I was very surprised no offensive linemen picked in draft. However, UDFA:

OL T.J. Bass
OT Earl Bostick Jr. (200K guaranteed money)

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are abandoning the zone blocking scheme for a old time tested run blocking scheme. It's a more aggressive system, but can have problems with pass blocking.

It's effective if you've got dominant personal, but if you fall behind and are forced to throw, there might be problems.

Of course all systems are predicated on balance, if defenses don't respect your running game, it's difficult to throw, if they don't respect your passing game, good blocking won't save you.

Hope for the best

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? He's bringing back the "edge".

He was a Cowboys assistant O-line coach in 1986? Wasn't he one of the guys responsible for training Phil Pozderac, the guy who single handedly destroyed that 1986 season?

The Cowboys were 6-2 midway through the season. They were tearing it up with a lethal combination of Hershcel Walker and Tony Dorsett.

That's when Pozderac went on a total penalty binge. His penalies weren't the real problem. The real problem was they happened during some of the biggest plays of the season for the Cowboys. White would complete a 3rd and 20 in the 4th quarter during a potential winning drive and then we would see the yellow flag and instantly know who to blame.

"Holding, number 75"

Danny White went down in game #9 after constantly getting hammered trying to pass the ball.

After 20 (and a half) consecutive winning seasons, a few plays in a few games initiated the Cowboys collapse and the offensive line, especially Pozderac, It was uncanny how they simply self destructed despite looking strong in the first half of the season.

And Solari was a O-line coach back then? How was he even allowed back into the building? That one entry on his resume should have banished him for life.
Pozderac, what a blast from the past.
My brain hurts.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Once again, Jerry is doing what I said needed to be done a year ago. Philbin needed to go. I guess better late than never.

Brooksey

Reaction score
So how did Tyron handle Bosa when there was no running room for our backs and Dak was under pressure all day long?

No chance Tyron is healthy all year. At this point all we have is an aging pro bowler in Martin and Biadasz who is a borderline pro bowler.

Steele is hurt, Tyron wont be playing and Tyler I like, but he will be moving from LG to LT. No continuity and Chuma sucks.
Bosa was a ghost in the game, Tyron is a beast. Dak holding the ball past 4 seconds in this league is on Dak and on the Wr's (weak) and on K.Moore (fired) and the dumb Jason Garrett Offense, running everyone for a 20 yard curls, long developing plays.

In summary Blame the Wr's, Kellen Moore and Dak's turnovers, it wasn't the Offensive line, they played as well as you can against a front like that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Bosa was a ghost in the game, Tyron is a beast. Dak holding the ball past 4 seconds in this league is on Dak and on the Wr's (weak) and on K.Moore (fired) and the dumb Jason Garrett Offense, running everyone for a 20 yard curls, long developing plays.

In summary Blame the Wr's, Kellen Moore and Dak's turnovers, it wasn't the Offensive line, they played as well as you can against a front like that.
Say what you want about mistakes and whos at fault. I forgot you were a Dak hater.

Bottom line is the game was tied 9-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter. This game came down to the 4th quarter. For all intense an purposes it was 0-0 with 15 minutes to go.

Cowboys defense got steamrolled in the 4th. Niners began the 4th quarter with a 10 play, 91 yard drive over 6 minutes and scored a TD on a 2 yard McCaffrey run.

Cowboys then drove the ball for 4 minutes and kicked a FG

Niners got back the ball and then drove 13 plays and 64 yards taking up 8 minutes and kicked a FG.

Niners held the ball for most of the 4th and it was game over. Dallas defense caved in the 4th.

This loss was another team loss on both sides of the ball. Defense also dropped 2 easy picks in the 2nd half. One an easy pick 6 by Diggs he dropped in his hands.

Defense played good enough to win this game, but they were outplayed by the SF defense and they caved in the 4th when it mattered most.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Say what you want about mistakes and whos at fault. I forgot you were a Dak hater.

Bottom line is the game was tied 9-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter. This game came down to the 4th quarter. For all intense an purposes it was 0-0 with 15 minutes to go.

Cowboys defense got steamrolled in the 4th. Niners began the 4th quarter with a 10 play, 91 yard drive over 6 minutes and scored a TD on a 2 yard McCaffrey run.

Cowboys then drove the ball for 4 minutes and kicked a FG

Niners got back the ball and then drove 13 plays and 64 yards taking up 8 minutes and kicked a FG.

Niners held the ball for most of the 4th and it was game over. Dallas defense caved in the 4th.

This loss was another team loss on both sides of the ball. Defense also dropped 2 easy picks in the 2nd half. One an easy pick 6 by Diggs he dropped in his hands.

Defense played good enough to win this game, but they were outplayed by the SF defense and they caved in the 4th when it mattered most.
I saw a tired defense when McCaffery got his first 1st down with 10 minutes left in the game. Pollard was starting to gash them before he went down, Zeke was shot.

I don't hate Dak, I root for Dak every week. He has some limitations but so do 27 other starting QB's in the league. I call it like I see it, some weeks he's lights out, some weeks he's lost.

In the end I say Dak blew the game with the INT's, especially the one inside on own 20 yard line but there were some other plays, dropped pick by Diggs, blown play against Kittle etc.

Dude we were on the road and punched them in the mouth for 50 minutes, if Pollard doesn't go out we beat them by a TD on the road, IMO.

Our trenches on both sides handled SF until the D got tired, our skilled players sucked. Dak, Zeke, Gallup, Pollard (out), Diggs, Maher (nightmare)

Don't be blaming Tyron Smith, dude balled out, whole line played their a** off. Tyler Smith, Zack Martin, Biadasz all played well.