DC: Solari Bringing Edge Back to Dallas O-line

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Solari ain't bringing no edge to the OL.....that is brought by one or more of the OL themselves. They have to have that nasty in them to be offensive. Take no crap from DL. Be more like Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Gogan, LAllen, etc... that rubs off on the other linemen. Dallas hasn't had one in a long time. Tyron, Martin, Frederick, etc, although they have been very good, they are passive and have no edge or mean streak to them. Hoping some of these new linemen can bring it, maybe Tyler will start this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Solari ain't bringing no edge to the OL.....that is brought by one or more of the OL themselves. They have to have that nasty in them to be offensive. Take no crap from DL. Be more like Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Gogan, LAllen, etc... that rubs off on the other linemen. Dallas hasn't had one in a long time. Tyron, Martin, Frederick, etc, although they have been very good, they are passive and have no edge or mean streak to them. Hoping some of these new linemen can bring it, maybe Tyler will start this.

That said, I could see him bringing something sort of new to them. Bear in mind, he's coached with Landry in the past, along with McCarthy's mentor Schottenheimer, and the 49ers in the 90s. I'd say he's probably got enough experience to bring something new to the table.

quickccc

Reaction score
I know Roy won't respond to me since he has me blocked (due to me proving him wrong so much, especially when it comes to our Oline), but he totally doesn't get it. Cowboys will be fine. The problem in recent years was Joe Philbin as Oline coach. Glad the Cowboys finally got rid of him. Mike Solari looks promising as new Oline coach.

Roy, like so many others, is upset and spreading doom-n-gloom every chance he gets simply because the Cowboys didn't draft an O-Guard early in the draft as he wanted. BooHooHoo...acting out is funny but sad. Like Will McClay said...the Cowboys don't need to be constantly spending 1st round draft picks on Olinemen, especially if they now have a new Oline coach who can train them middle-to-late draft prospects into bonafied good starting material. That's exactly what the Cowboys are doing, and I have full trust they will get the Oline greatly improved (including backups). A little faith and patience is what is needed by everyone at this time.
- Philibin the problem ? Despite coaching up Terrence Steele who went from allowing sacks in every game his rookie year after zero mini camps, very limited training camps,
and zero preseason..?
Now pre - ACL Steele was on his way to paving himself as one of the emerging RTs in the NFL

- Philibin also had a hand in coaching up center Tyler Biadsz who went from below average to solid, imo

- It was likely Philibin who supported Steele taking over as permanent RT starter - while making his influence for the team to cut and move on from Lael Collins.

- Most did not think McGovern could be counted on to be a full time LG (he was previously right side only)

- Tyler Smith under Philibin emerged as a promising LT.

- And i was not the biggest Joe Phibin fan, but to his credit, there's no way i can't take away some things and goals he was able to reach.

quickccc

Reaction score
Coaching does count .... remember the disaster that was ex- OL coach Paul Alexander ? ... who was so bad and disruptive that he was actually " fired at mid season "?

- Alexander replaced another previous OL coach Frank Pollack. who just as he received a great deal of credit for the 2016 OL squad, - but he also received grave criticism for the Chaz Green fiasco in ATL - much of that was the likely reason he was let go here in Dallas.

Philibin was a clear choice of Mike McCarthy who chose not to re-sign Marc Colombo who turned in a great season for the OL under his stint.
(2nd in NFL in least sacks allowed, 5th in NFL in rushing) but Mac was insistent on his own Lt. Sargents leading the parade.

gtb1943

Reaction score
- Philibin the problem ? Despite coaching up Terrence Steele who went from allowing sacks in every game his rookie year after zero mini camps, very limited training camps,
and zero preseason..?
Now pre - ACL Steele was on his way to paving himself as one of the emerging RTs in the NFL

- Philibin also had a hand in coaching up center Tyler Biadsz who went from below average to solid, imo

- It was likely Philibin who supported Steele taking over as permanent RT starter - while making his influence for the team to cut and move on from Lael Collins.

- Most did not think McGovern could be counted on to be a full time LG (he was previously right side only)

- And i was not the biggest Joe Phibin fan, but to his credit, there's no way i can't take away some things and goals he was able to reach.
Steele is not an emerging RT. He is a very good Run Blocker who is adequate at pass blocking and that is all

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
and zero preseason..?

Philbin is also the one who refused to move Connor Williams to Center, instead stubbornly fixated at forcing Connor to become a Guard even though Connor shows signs of athleticism, along with being very smart, to better become a Center. Cowboys listened to Philbin and cut Connor Williams. Miami immediately picked Connor Williams up, trained him during camp and preseason last year at Center for his very first time, and by season's end, Connor Williams ended up ranked as the 3rd best Center in the whole NFL.

This is also the same coach who stubbornly kept Farniok benched while starting Connor McGovern who ended up as average of a Guard at best. McGovern is now gone as well as Williams. How's that for Joe Philbin being such a genius while being fired and the Oline currently with many questions?

quickccc

Reaction score
Steele is not an emerging RT. He is a very good Run Blocker who is adequate at pass blocking and that is all
That's not even close .

Until he went down with an ACL in Week 14, Steele had allowed only one sack all year,.. and only allowed 20 quarterback pressures in 439 pass blocking snaps.
that's usually Pro Bowl type numbers

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know Roy won't respond to me since he has me blocked (due to me proving him wrong so much, especially when it comes to our Oline), but he totally doesn't get it. Cowboys will be fine. The problem in recent years was Joe Philbin as Oline coach. Glad the Cowboys finally got rid of him. Mike Solari looks promising as new Oline coach.

Roy, like so many others, is upset and spreading doom-n-gloom every chance he gets simply because the Cowboys didn't draft an O-Guard early in the draft as he wanted. BooHooHoo...acting out is funny but sad. Like Will McClay said...the Cowboys don't need to be constantly spending 1st round draft picks on Olinemen, especially if they now have a new Oline coach who can train them middle-to-late draft prospects into bonafied good starting material. That's exactly what the Cowboys are doing, and I have full trust they will get the Oline greatly improved (including backups). A little faith and patience is what is needed by everyone at this time.
I have him blocked LOL he didn't even get the name correct Chuma Odoga? called him Chung.. doesn't also realize they will start with best 5 means Tyler's the LG, hes better then CM or CW..if here are injuries im sure CM isn't better then Chuma most likely in similar skillset. also got the draft pick and UDFA OL to check out..he left out Farniok i mean its not lie the cupboards are bare, will CM be that hard to replace? i doubt it.

he is correct that that OL was a bigger issue last year then dak or the wrs(#2 issue) when they went up against the better DL/F7s they got stood up, pushed back and didn't open holes.. note the 2 niners games.. thats why we lost, not the qb..

blueblood70

Reaction score
and zero preseason..?

there is some middle ground for blame for sure BUT bottom 10 in qb pressures ie win rate and obvious issues creating push or holes for the run game against the better DLs.. was it players, scheme, or the OLC who knows but it was an issue and easier to start over if you change the OC and play caller might as well go for an OLC who fits that new philosophy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would a coach bring an edge to the line? The edge should come from the players not a coach.

He should motivate them, put them in the best position to be successful, etc., but if a player says he needs to get his edge from a coach, that's weak sauce.
When I read it, it says ‘physicality’ to me. Overall, I think Philbin did a nice job, but between his coaching and Moore’s playcalling, the line became more finesse.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and zero preseason..?

He absolutely did a lot of good things.

quickccc

Reaction score
He absolutely did a lot of good things.
It wasn't as bad as some want to make him out to be.

i didn't care for the run design scheme under Philibin, and Kellen certainly did not help matters with his incompetence with the lack of RB screens,
and i did not like moving on from power oriented Columbo did a great OL job - but McCarthy had his rights to go with a more familiar face, so long as it worked out

But i still do wonder if Philibin and management were on two different pages and process - reportedly Philibin was not on board with the drafting of Tyler Smith
as McClay & scouts were.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Glad Philbin is gone.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have him blocked LOL he didn't even get the name correct Chuma Odoga? called him Chung.. doesn't also realize they will start with best 5 means Tyler's the LG, hes better then CM or CW..if here are injuries im sure CM isn't better then Chuma most likely in similar skillset. also got the draft pick and UDFA OL to check out..he left out Farniok i mean its not lie the cupboards are bare, will CM be that hard to replace? i doubt it.

he is correct that that OL was a bigger issue last year then dak or the wrs(#2 issue) when they went up against the better DL/F7s they got stood up, pushed back and didn't open holes.. note the 2 niners games.. thats why we lost, not the qb..
You nailed it! Spot on. :thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
"aint" lol Martin says he is, ill trust that true over fanzone experts,, same is said with teams mimicking the HC etc like say in Detroit the attitude of Cambell or Dallas with Jimmy etc

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Agreed on needing some nastiness on the Oline. Farniok has some nastiness to him. Funny how no one notices or mentions that. I guess the nastiness has to come from one of their faves.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Coaching does count .... remember the disaster that was ex- OL coach Paul Alexander ? ... who was so bad and disruptive that he was actually " fired at mid season "?

- Alexander replaced another previous OL coach Frank Pollack. who just as he received a great deal of credit for the 2016 OL squad, - but he also received grave criticism for the Chaz Green fiasco in ATL - much of that was the likely reason he was let go here in Dallas.

Philibin was a clear choice of Mike McCarthy who chose not to re-sign Marc Colombo who turned in a great season for the OL under his stint.
(2nd in NFL in least sacks allowed, 5th in NFL in rushing) but Mac was insistent on his own Lt. Sargents leading the parade.
Strange side note but I saw Colombo last night. He coaches flag football in Southlake and is still a really intense guy for 5th/6th Grade flag

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

OLINE POST OF THE YEAR!!!

No truer words could have been said. Well said, @quickccc !
:clap: