News: DC: Spagnola: Defensive End Once Again Is Holding This Franchise Hostage

NewsBot

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas – This draft could have been so, so simple for the Dallas Cowboys, owners of the fourth pick, potentially a real catbird seat in two weeks with the potential of a qua

Continue reading...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
gregory_hero_5.jpg

Spagnola: Defensive End Once Again Is Holding This Franchise Hostage
Friday, April 15, 2016 5:13 PM CDT
spagnola_50.jpg

By Mickey Spagnola DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – This draft could have been so, so simple for the Dallas Cowboys, owners of the fourth pick, potentially a real catbird seat in two weeks with the potential of a quarterback now going off the board on each of the first two picks.

No position would have taken them hostage, not one making them grimace when the time comes to match need with availability.

Want to take a quarterback? Fine.

Want to take a cornerback? Go for it.

Linebacker? No problem.

Running back? You bet.

Could do so with a clear conscience, without having one position continually nagging in the back of their mind; without feeling a tad guilty if ignoring this need; without being tempted to commit the biggest no-no in the draft – reach for need.

If … if only … last year’s roll-of-the-dice in the second round on pick No. 60 had not come up snake eyes – so far.

Darn it, Randy Gregory. Your suspension for violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy has mucked up this entire situation. Yeah, it’s only four games, certainly not an eternity, but a quarter of an NFL season. Worse, the suspension presents this dilemma gnawing at the Cowboys’ inner soul:

Can we ever trust him again?

See, it’s not as if he’s had just one minor slip-up in a program he was entered into once selected with the 60th pick of last year’s NFL Draft since he tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine. He’s screwed up multiple times to earn this season-opening four-game suspension, leaving him in the perilous position of being banned for 10 games if violating the policy another time.

***large snip***

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...sive-end-once-again-holding-franchise-hostage

conner01

Reaction score
Last I check Dallas had 9 picks in this draft? There are selections outside the 1st round.

Don't know that you can get s starting quality de outside the first rnd. But wouldn't matter to me. Sure we have a need but I'm not using the 4th pick to fill a need. I'm taking the best player with maybe the exception of oline which then I trade down a few spots and take the best player availible there. Drafting for need never works well. If you can get a great player AND fill a need then go for it. But drafting just for need ends up biting you almost every time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know that you can get s starting quality de outside the first rnd. But wouldn't matter to me. Sure we have a need but I'm not using the 4th pick to fill a need. I'm taking the best player with maybe the exception of oline which then I trade down a few spots and take the best player availible there. Drafting for need never works well. If you can get a great player AND fill a need then go for it. But drafting just for need ends up biting you almost every time.

Dodd the kid from Clemson could be a quality DE who's drafted with the Cowboys' 2nd round pick.

conner01

Reaction score
Dodd the kid from Clemson could be a quality DE who's drafted with the Cowboys' 2nd round pick.

I like Dodd but as time gets closer I suspect he slides up. Pass rushers always do and I actually like Dodd more than Lawson.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Gregory pick was a one that should of never been made you cant trust him now ever.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Players like Bosa and Buckner wont be big pass rush factors so I dont see the point in drafting either one if the goal is to fix the pass rush. At this point the cowboys would be better off continuing to throw numbers at the position. And hey there is still Hardy and Jones, I would think either is capable of producing atleast as many sacks this season as bosa or buckner.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this front office is going to have to stop drafting troubled players thinking that they can fix them.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Mickey just coming out and stating we basically have to draft for need.

Stupid.

If the DE isn't the BPA available or really close to it, you don't take him period.

Build around him if you have to, with your BPA picks. It's still a team game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Spence and others may be available outside the first.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Players like Bosa and Buckner wont be big pass rush factors so I dont see the point in drafting either one if the goal is to fix the pass rush. At this point the cowboys would be better off continuing to throw numbers at the position. And hey there is still Hardy and Jones, I would think either is capable of producing atleast as many sacks this season as bosa or buckner.

Hardy needs to take a bended knee and have Garrett accept it. That may be too much for either though. There are projects outside the first who could help but it is always unlikely for a first year DE to come in and light it up although you can get a very good contributor on occasion.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Why does testing positive at the scouting combine count in punishing him? He wasn't an employee, hadn't signed a contract.

Just wondering.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mickey just coming out and stating we basically have to draft for need.

Stupid.

If the DE isn't the BPA available or really close to it, you don't take him period.

Build around him if you have to, with your BPA picks. It's still a team game.

Hey. That darn Randy Gregory.

If it wasn't for him, the possibilities would be endless.