News: DC: Star Evaluation: Can Noah Brown Grow His Game?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star Evaluation: Can Noah Brown Grow His Game?

cx72ctduekhqklpsaabo

Noah Brown played a specific, albeit frustrating role after injuries limited his training camp. How can he grow that role heading into his third season?

Read Full Story

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course he can. Better questions are is Brown willing to put in the work he needs to grow and will the coaches actuslly use him?

Vs the saints you saw Brown shift to different spots in the formation but was nothing more than a decoy. Gotta find ways to get everybody helping.

jsb357

Reaction score
if any player in the league can't get better or adjust his game as he matures he's toast.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I was excited about him when he first arrived, but every single time I see him on the field he looks like the first time riding a unicycle. He just seems unbalanced and because of that he cannot take advantage of any strength he has. You know how Geoff Swaim runs like a handicap horse, Brown is like a 3 legged bull.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was excited about him when he first arrived, but every single time I see him on the field he looks like the first time riding a unicycle. He just seems unbalanced and because of that he cannot take advantage of any strength he has. You know how Geoff Swaim runs like a handicap horse, Brown is like a 3 legged bull.

I blame Linehan. Now we have a real OC to use the players and their strengths. :D

GenoT

Reaction score
The question might be, has Brown shown the coaching staff enough for them to make an effort to get him more consistently involved in the offense? He can’t develop his receiving skills without regularly being targeted.

Seems like a work-in-progress for both player and coaches.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He can improve but often times I seen Dak throw catchable balls to him and he just catches it like it's a hot potato and ends up dropping it. When you look back at the Seattle playoff game, I (personally think) it was his fault for that interception. No reason as to why he didn't catch that ball. There was another pass that game I believe. He is young and he has shown potential I will say.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Question is he TE, WR, H-Back. For this kid they need to decide, he has the size to be split out wide type of TE like a Jimmy Graham he looks slow to be WR. Sometimes a definitive title will help with development.

Brown is 6'2", 225.

Jimmy is 6'7", 265.

Also, Brown ran a 4.55, which is plenty fast for an NFL receiver.

I think the team has decided, as they often do, that his job is to be a blocker, so all they let him do is block.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Has a long way to go.
he does. but doesn't mean we can't utilize him in specific schemes and plays. I wonder if he can play out of the slot, getting him matched up either against a LB or a slot CB (smaller). that would give him some advantages either playing against a LB that is not as fast or good in coverage or against smaller CBs...he will struggle some playing traditional outside WR since he is not as fast and the outside CBs tend to be better, bigger, more athletic, all of the above...

jrumann59

Reaction score
Brown is 6'2", 225.

Jimmy is 6'7", 265.

Also, Brown ran a 4.55, which is plenty fast for an NFL receiver.

I think the team has decided, as they often do, that his job is to be a blocker, so all they let him do is block.
checked on his combine report, crappy route runner that is why he is a blocker.

glimmerman

Reaction score
he does. but doesn't mean we can't utilize him in specific schemes and plays. I wonder if he can play out of the slot, getting him matched up either against a LB or a slot CB (smaller). that would give him some advantages either playing against a LB that is not as fast or good in coverage or against smaller CBs...he will struggle some playing traditional outside WR since he is not as fast and the outside CBs tend to be better, bigger, more athletic, all of the above...
With his size he could actually be a TE. That would be a smart thing though. Lol.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He was raw as a college reciever at Ohio State as he is now in the NFL.

I think his best attribute is blocking. I’d be more apt to keeping him as #5 reciever if he was a stellar special teamed but I don’t think that’s the case.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He was raw as a college reciever at Ohio State as he is now in the NFL.

I think his best attribute is blocking. I’d be more apt to keeping him as #5 reciever if he was a stellar special teamed but I don’t think that’s the case.
Like I said. He would make a good TE in the NFL. He just has to catch the ball. He dropped that pass in the end zone and I hated him for a while. But I bet no one felt worse than him. I get way to emotional during the games. Gonna work on that this year. Maybe.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His injury last year didn't help him any. Let's see him healthy through this TC and a new OC, 2nd year with Lal with the WR's too.
Will get a better evaluation of him with that.
All I know I watched all hi games at OSU, and he made plays. Yes, that was against less talent, but at least he did what he was supposed to do.

It will be interesting to see his progress this season.

Mr_437

Reaction score
3rd year up n coming, time to be a factor. He can block just needs to earn Dak's trust and produce.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He had 1 good game in college and the speculation was that he could be a poor man's Dez Bryant. But to be honest they really should have looked at the rest of his career in college and thought practice quad.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Noah Brown struggles terribly to get any separation versus the NFL CBs.

This renders him a tad doubtful to find success with Dak throwing to him.

Last edited: