News: DC: Tolbert's 2023 Goal: "Show Why I Got Drafted"

JonesBoys

Reaction score
What the heck is this all about? That's not why Tolbert was drafted. Good grief.
Jerry stated he thought Tolbert would have a bigger impact, Jerry Jones stated it, making it sound like Cooper was a little bit expendable.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think this kid is going to go nuts this season in Mike’s offense. He has all the intangibles he just needs to do it. I think coming from such a small program literally the stars were in his eyes.

plasticman

Reaction score
Recently, drafted WR's that became eventual staters have proved themselves in their rookie seasons.

Dez, CeeDee, Gallup, Terrance Williams, they all had at least 30 receptions for at least 500 yards. It's not like the Cowboys were so deep at the position that Tolbert never got an opportunity. If you are a healthy scratch for a regular season game in 2022 then you are not ready for the NFL and a 3rd round pick should be.

Aven8

Reaction score
Recently, drafted WR's that became eventual staters have proved themselves in their rookie seasons.

Dez, CeeDee, Gallup, Terrance Williams, they all had at least 30 receptions for at least 500 yards. It's not like the Cowboys were so deep at the position that Tolbert never got an opportunity. If you are a healthy scratch for a regular season game in 2022 then you are not ready for the NFL and a 3rd round pick should be.
I get all that but this dude was playing against Alcorn St and Troy. We don’t know what it was like for him behind the scenes. Coming to Big D and the glitz and glamour of a big city and everything that comes with being an adult.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think this kid is going to go nuts this season in Mike’s offense. He has all the intangibles he just needs to do it. I think coming from such a small program literally the stars were in his eyes.
By most accounts, and I even agreed, many thought he was a good pick in the 3rd. Most had him projected to be a 2nd round pick. And the Cowboys said they were thinking of selecting him in the 2nd. For whatever reason, probably because Sam Williams has a higher ceiling, they went with him in the 2nd, and 32 other teams passed for another round.

We shall see. But it goes to show you how the rankings can be wrong, even though I agreed with the mock rankings. Obviously, the Cowboys know a little bit more than I do, so that's good. :)

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I get all that but this dude was playing against Alcorn St and Troy. We don’t know what it was like for him behind the scenes. Coming to Big D and the glitz and glamour of a big city and everything that comes with being an adult.
That's the thing, though. He seems to be stuck in his adolescent years, from when I see him in his interview. He's not accustomed to being around the big city lights, like you're saying.

I hate to say it, but the same thing with Sam Williams. Parsons acts like he's still young, but he has a certain way of being a man, like a young man, which is different. It's a mentality that I'm not sure Williams or Tolbert are ready for.

plasticman

Reaction score
You got a point. I don't see any productive Cowboys rookie WR that didn't come from a big school.

Then again.....

I don't see any productive rookie Cowboys WR that came from a real small college. The best I could find was Butch Johnson from UC Riverside. He had 4 receptions his rookie season. His best season was 25 receptions. He did make that SB catch and he was a great return guy.

You are saying that I shouldn't judge a player by their rookie season because every person has a different ability to adapt to a new environment, a different speed to adjust. You got a point.

Aven8

Reaction score
You got a point. I don't see any productive Cowboys rookie WR that didn't come from a big school.

Then again.....

I don't see any productive rookie Cowboys WR that came from a real small college. The best I could find was Butch Johnson from UC Riverside. He had 4 receptions his rookie season. His best season was 25 receptions. He did make that SB catch and he was a great return guy.

You are saying that I shouldn't judge a player by their rookie season because every person has a different ability to adapt to a new environment, a different speed to adjust. You got a point.
Our hope he becomes Jerry Rice out of another tiny school Mississippi Valley St and the rest is history..;)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tolbert's future is likely to be determined in 2023, his second season. He's justifiably regarded as a slow bloomer. I hope for his improvement.