DCFanatic First Round Mock Draft, V2.0

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Link or Link

--------------------------------

I do think there will be some trades, but where and when is always a mystery.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
2008mockv2-apr6.gif

Woods

Reaction score
Very nicely done.

I actually agree with many of your picks, barring trades of course. That said, I'm torn on the Lions pick.

I'm thinking that they could go Defense this time around (DL possibly, with Rogers being traded), and they can pick up a RB in Round 2 as this is a deep group for RBs. They could possibly get R Rice in Round 2, for example.

Also, with the Bears, I wonder what they think of Brohm? R Grossman has a 1 year contract. He's not their QB of the future, IMO. They need a QB badly. Now interestingly, I could see the Bears possibly trading for our 28th pick if a QB is available at that spot (i.e., Brohm). Or, the Bears take a QB with their original pick, and they hope to pick up a decent OL in Round 2. But I think a lot depends on what they think of Brohm, and what they think of another QB who they would want to move up to take possibly end of Round 1.

Great job though, I really enjoyed it.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
That Broehm scenario is playing out for a lot of teams right now.

I think more than 5 teams are hoping he is there for them so they can pounce in the second round.

The Bears, Dolphins, Vikings, Ravens and Chiefs could all take shot at him there.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
2 Things....

i am not a fan of Talib....hopefully, neither is Jones

Sweed won't make it past the Titans. Vince, the franchise QB, will make sure Sweed wears a Tennessee uniform, if he falls that far.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Cool mock. I do wonder about that Raider pick though, they have money tied up in there 2 DTs right now, Tommy Kelly and Terdell Sands, so I could see them taking a shot at McFadden more than Ellis.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy;2026964 said:
Small thing DC, but Thomas is from Michigan State not Michigan.

Thanks. I edited it and it should show soon.

For the haters, I knew he was from state as you can see & hear in the video.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2026973 said:
Cool mock. I do wonder about that Raider pick though, they have money tied up in there 2 DTs right now, Tommy Kelly and Terdell Sands, so I could see them taking a shot at McFadden more than Ellis.

I think Kelly is more of a DE. As for McFadden and the Raiders I just don't think they want to take a chance that high with a RB after giving Jordan than big contract.

The main reason I went with Ellis is because Kiffin saw him up close at the Senior Bowl and he knows, Sapp at TB with his dad, that a DT who can wreak havoc can really create a dominating defense. This would be a great thing for them because he's gonna need that with a young inexperienced QB.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2026966 said:
2 Things....

i am not a fan of Talib....hopefully, neither is Jones

Sweed won't make it past the Titans. Vince, the franchise QB, will make sure Sweed wears a Tennessee uniform, if he falls that far.

I did initially think Sweed too.

But Vince can't throw the internediate routes well and Sweed isn't a buner so he won't be catching too many 60+ yard passes. Thomas is a burner and Vince can throw it long.

Even in 2005 when they were together Vince threw it to the TE in the middle more than he threw it to Sweed. VY just isn't a prototypical QB so I think the Titans have to have a strange offense for him to successful. Sweed would be great in a West Coast system like T.O. was for the Eagles.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2026989 said:
I think Kelly is more of a DE. As for McFadden and the Raiders I just don't think they want to take a chance that high with a RB after giving Jordan than big contract.

The main reason I went with Ellis is because Kiffin saw him up close at the Senior Bowl and he knows, Sapp at TB with his dad, that a DT who can wreak havoc can really create a dominating defense. This would be a great thing for them because he's gonna need that with a young inexperienced QB.

Yeah, supposedly they are also making the switch to the 3-4 eventually, and Ellis is more of a 4-3 guy. But its Al Davis, so who knows.

Question though, do you mean Lamont Jordan or Justin Fargas got a big contract? I knew Justin got one, but I didn't know if Lamont got a contract also or not.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2026998 said:
Yeah, supposedly they are also making the switch to the 3-4 eventually, and Ellis is more of a 4-3 guy. But its Al Davis, so who knows.

Question though, do you mean Lamont Jordan or Justin Fargas got a big contract? I knew Justin got one, but I didn't know if Lamont got a contract also or not.

I am referring to the big money Jordan got a few years ago which didn't really pay off for them. They would have to pay D-Mac big money at that #4 spot and like you mentioned they just resigned Fargas.

With the Ryan boys running the defense I don't know that you could ever categorize them under anything traditional like a 3-4 or a 4-3. They are always running some hybrid thing anyway.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No big change, but I think the Cowboys would probably take Stewart at 22 and Talib at 28. Although, if the Cowboys get Pacman, look for that 28th pick to be traded either for 1)a 1st rd pick next year plus a late second rd pick or early 3rd rd pick or 2)someones 2nd and 3rd rd pick this year.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I'd take that draft in a second!

No WR is worthy of a 1st round pick by us. Not one. Sweed's tactics won't work in the NFL.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2026992 said:
I did initially think Sweed too.

But Vince can't throw the internediate routes well and Sweed isn't a buner so he won't be catching too many 60+ yard passes. Thomas is a burner and Vince can throw it long.

Even in 2005 when they were together Vince threw it to the TE in the middle more than he threw it to Sweed. VY just isn't a prototypical QB so I think the Titans have to have a strange offense for him to successful. Sweed would be great in a West Coast system like T.O. was for the Eagles.

if we go WR in the 1st it's a trade for williams or bolden. if we can't swing that i thikn we trade down.

1st pick will depend on who's there cb or rb wise. i think we can safely say mendenhall and mcfadden will be gone. stewart is the only other back i'd take at 22.

at 22 i'd take talib, cromartie if either are there. if not, and say stewart, talib and crom are all gone, we could trade that for bolden or williams.

so i think we go BPA within certain parameters. rb/cb/wr a focus. if for whatever reason kelly phillips is there at 28 and we can't trade for bolden/williams, i'd take him regardless of who we took at 22.

would talib and phillips be a bad 1st round? it does setup the roy williams departure so many long for post after post.

after post.

we could address RB in the 2nd with ray rice, jamaal charles or the like and drift back into a BPA period mode.

i don't see us going only secondary in the 1st but depending on who is there would not cry if we did.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Although not an immediate need, if Branden Albert's there at 22, I'd take him and let him compete w/ Kosier for a starting job this year and see if he can transition to LT when we part ways w/ Flozell in a couple of years. I don't think he'll be there for us however.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, I don't think Sweed makes it past Tennessee because Young will snag him even if he has to clamp someone's nutsack to do it.

I don't like Talib at 22 because Cason could be a 2nd round steal if the 'Boys use #28 to snag another 2nd rounder. Perhaps the pick the Falcons got from the Raiders for Hall. I don't like the idea of taking Stewart at #28 either because of an apparent lack of need of a homerun threat at RB. The general consensus is that we need a complement instead of a replacement. Using a first rounder on a back-up instead of a starter just seems like a waste.

Personally, I'd take Devin Thomas and Kentwan Balmer/Gosder Cherlius.