DCFanatic First Round Mock Draft, V2.0

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2027158 said:
if we go WR in the 1st it's a trade for williams or bolden. if we can't swing that i thikn we trade down.

1st pick will depend on who's there cb or rb wise. i think we can safely say mendenhall and mcfadden will be gone. stewart is the only other back i'd take at 22.

at 22 i'd take talib, cromartie if either are there. if not, and say stewart, talib and crom are all gone, we could trade that for bolden or williams.

so i think we go BPA within certain parameters. rb/cb/wr a focus. if for whatever reason kelly phillips is there at 28 and we can't trade for bolden/williams, i'd take him regardless of who we took at 22.

would talib and phillips be a bad 1st round? it does setup the roy williams departure so many long for post after post.

after post.

we could address RB in the 2nd with ray rice, jamaal charles or the like and drift back into a BPA period mode.

i don't see us going only secondary in the 1st but depending on who is there would not cry if we did.

I completely agree that the Cowoys will be looking for someone to come in and push Roy Williams.

I think they let Keith Davis go for that reason. He could never outplay Roy and that led to Roy never feeling threatened that he would be replaced. If guys like Phillips, Zibby, Adams, Barrett come aboard then Roy knows his job is not assured anymore.

I could even see them looking for a true Free Safety because they know Hamlin can switch to SS in 2009 if needed. For some reason I don't think Wade is too high on Watkins because he doesn't have great instincts.

sago1

Reaction score
We better draft a CB early whether we get Pacman or not. Henry is 32/33 & believe 09 is last year of his contract; doubt we resign him if we have another option. Inevitably Henry gets hurt some time this year leaving Newman/Pacman as starters & 7th rounder Alan Ball as #3 CB (shades of Jacques Reeves). Believe a high CB should be able contribute by mid season with T/C & preseason games under his belt.

Too many want to wait to draft a CB if we get Pacman. I just think many take it for granted he'll work out but his history doesn't support that belief. We can't rely on Pacman & better be prepared for worst case scenario.

Also have concerns about drafting Stewart due to his toe injury. Heard he should be ready to go by TC but other reports say maybe not. Stewart will need all the time he can get in TC/preseason games learning the offense including blocking in blitz pickup. If Stewart's recovery slowed or he reinjuries something else as a result of being off his feet so long (remember what happened to Stanbach), we'd be in serious trouble unless we have a viable #3 RB on hand. We better add a vet RB (unless we got a good guy on our PS) who can handle Stewart's role until Stewart is ready. Hopefully there still a good RB out there who fits the bill & comes relatively cheap because of the opportunity he will be getting.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
quincyyyyy;2027097 said:
Aqib Talib sucks and if Stewart is there at 22 we take him.

He sucks? You've got no idea what you're talking about.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Hailmary;2027162 said:
Although not an immediate need, if Branden Albert's there at 22, I'd take him and let him compete w/ Kosier for a starting job this year and see if he can transition to LT when we part ways w/ Flozell in a couple of years. I don't think he'll be there for us however.

The more I hear that, the more I'm beginning to love taking Albert at #22 if he somehow lasts that long, cause he could take over for Kosier and take over at L.T. when Flo leaves, so you're getting your FUTURE L.T. who will be playing L.G. in the meantime till Flo retires so we don't need to go out and find a franchise L.T. in the future.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;2027313 said:
Too many want to wait to draft a CB if we get Pacman. I just think many take it for granted he'll work out but his history doesn't support that belief. We can't rely on Pacman & better be prepared for worst case scenario.

I don't think anyone wants to WAIT to draft a C.B., just that if we get pacman, we already have BOTH STARTERS (withouith pacman) set in place and Pacman gives us a great #3 C.B. and possibly a future #1 C.B. opposite Newman, so why use a 1st rounder on another C.B. is all, if we get Pacman, I still think we need to cover ourselves and draft a C.B. in round 2 and wouldn't even mind again in round 3 or 4, but no sense in wasting a 1st rounder on a C.B. with both starters set in stone and Pacman on top is all.