News: DE Kony Ealy?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he's released, certainly worth a look.......was a solid starter for the Panthers just a couple years ago

Kony Ealy - DL - Patriots
ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss believes DE Kony Ealy is "in a legitimate fight" for a roster spot.

Acquired via trade from the Panthers in March, the former second-round pick was expected to help replace Rob Ninkovich, but fourth-rounder Deatrich Wise Jr. has been getting most of the snaps with the starters. Reiss reports Ealy, on the other hand, has been "working mostly with the backups and end-of-roster players." Despite a dominating performance in Super Bowl 50, Ealy's career has never taken off, and it looks like his stay in New England could be a short one.

9389.jpg

Kony Ealy | Defensive Lineman | #94
Team: New England Patriots
Age / DOB: (25) / 12/21/1991
Ht / Wt: 6'4' / 275
College: Missouri
Drafted: 2014 / Rd. 2 (60) / CAR
Contract:

NE.png

LATEST NEWS

Year Tackles Sacks Interceptions Fumb Misc KO Ret Punt Ret
Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack Yds Yd/Sk Int Yds IntTD Rec TD Frcd Pass D Sfty Yds TD Yds TD
2014 CAR 15 8 4 12 4.0 33 8.3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
2015 CAR 16 15 17 32 5.0 30 6.0 0 0 0 2 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 0
2016 CAR 16 19 13 32 5.0 23 4.6 1 7 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 0 0 0

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Would absolutely kick the tires on this guy if he's cut free. With the suspensions and then lingering healthy issues that could be there with Tapper and Crawford, it would be a no brainer to me.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Would absolutely kick the tires on this guy if he's cut free. With the suspensions and then lingering healthy issues that could be there with Tapper and Crawford, it would be a no brainer to me.

Agree 100% .......................

Sydla

Reaction score
And for the record, I also agree that the chances Ealy ever turns into a big time DE are remote and small. But if we have a need for a body at DE because of our suspensions and injuries, a youngish guy with what some believe is still a relative high ceiling is a guy I'll take a chance on all day long.

FaSho

Reaction score
I know they like TE's, so maybe we could trade Swaim for him lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Just what we need another 4-5 sack guy. Rather see more of Tapper and Taco

You might not see a whole lot of Tapper if he keeps getting hurt.

Which is why it makes sense to look at Ealy if he's cut free. Irving and Moore are suspended to start the season. Crawford has an ankle issue. Tapper has been having issues with his hip. That leaves Taco, Lawrence and Mayowa as the only really healthy DEs at this point (and let's note that Charlton is being monitored for a sore back too now).

Sydla

Reaction score
Ealy is another strong side DE. Cowboys need a legit weak side speed rusher.

Of course.

But at this point, with injuries and suspensions, they might need any DE they can get. You aren't finding a dominant pass rushing end on the waiver wire, now are you?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You might not see a whole lot of Tapper if he keeps getting hurt.

Which is why it makes sense to look at Ealy if he's cut free. Irving and Moore are suspended to start the season. Crawford has an ankle issue. Tapper has been having issues with his hip. That leaves Taco, Lawrence and Mayowa as the only really healthy DEs at this point (and let's note that Charlton is being monitored for a sore back too now).
Keeps getting hurt? Everybody gets dinged up and tweaks things. Our coaching and training staff are always on the side of precaution in the preseason with guys who will be contributing.

Sydla

Reaction score
Keeps getting hurt? Everybody gets dinged up and tweaks things. Our coaching and training staff are always on the side of precaution in the preseason with guys who will be contributing.

Tapper has a fairly significant injury history, especially in the back/hip area. So yeah, at this point, one would be wise to not assume he's just fine at this point.

I always chuckle at you guys who have this bizarre negative reaction to signing guys for depth. And that's what you would be doing with a guy ike Ealy if he's cut free and we bring him in.

robjay04

Reaction score
Tapper has a fairly significant injury history, especially in the back/hip area. So yeah, at this point, one would be wise to not assume he's just fine at this point.

I always chuckle at you guys who have this bizarre negative reaction to signing guys for depth. And that's what you would be doing with a guy ike Ealy if he's cut free and we bring him in.

Because he is not really better than what we already have and we will be wasting a draft pick to get him.

We are low on waivers so if he is cut free...we probably won't get him but if he is? I'm for it but I am not sure if I want him on the team when guys get back from suspensions.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
As others have said, we need an edge rusher not another SDE or even a WDE. Bring Ware out of retirement as a spot rusher. I was against that until recently. He would be good with limited snaps on just rushing downs.

Hardline

Reaction score

This team is building through the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because he is not really better than what we already have and we will be wasting a draft pick to get him.

We are low on waivers so if he is cut free...we probably won't get him but if he is? I'm for it but I am not sure if I want him on the team when guys get back from suspensions.

Of course he's not better than what we have. The problem is we are in a position where to start the year we might not have enough of "what we have". It very well could be the case that we might have only 3 truly healthy DEs to start the season that can play in those first few games. I'd rather have a guy like Ealy on the team that has upside than some UDFA that people think looked ********* awesome against the 5th stringers in the last preseason game.

Sydla

Reaction score
This team is building through the draft.

And in bringing in a guy like Ealy to help depth concerns at DE, especially at the start of the year, somehow destroys that model? Why do some of you act like people are saying "Gee, if we sign Ealy, that solves all our problems!!!! We will be set at DE!!!! Don't need to draft another DE for years!!!!!"

Holy hell, people.

bodi

Reaction score

•Defensive end Charles Tapper said he’s dealing with some tightness in his hip, unrelated to the back injury that sidelined him last year. The hip began bothering him after the long trip back from Ohio on Hall of Fame weekend.