News: DE Kony Ealy?

Sydla

Reaction score
•Defensive end Charles Tapper said he’s dealing with some tightness in his hip, unrelated to the back injury that sidelined him last year. The hip began bothering him after the long trip back from Ohio on Hall of Fame weekend.

And given the fact he's had some injury issues, it's probably not wise to just assume he's fine. Plus, as much as I like the guy, he's proven zero on the NFL level.

Ealy would be a cheap depth move if cut, nothing else. He's not a solution to our pass rush problems. He's not a stud in waiting. He's not a guy we can now start at DE for the next 5 years. He's a depth signing with a bit of upside at a position that frankly has a ton of question marks from a pure production aspect AND more importantly, has some depth concerns to start the year with suspensions and possible injury issues.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And in bringing in a guy like Ealy to help depth concerns at DE, especially at the start of the year, somehow destroys that model? Why do some of you act like people are saying "Gee, if we sign Ealy, that solves all our problems!!!! We will be set at DE!!!! Don't need to draft another DE for years!!!!!"

Holy hell, people.
It really is frustrating

We won't sign expensive FAs and we rarely draft high enough to get an impact DE

We have to explore all other options........ like DMoore and a guy like Kony(who was a draft pet cat around here)

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hit on Trey Flowers and now talking up Wise Jr.

Have the Pats found another pass rusher off the Razorbacks right under Jerry's nose....

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
We liked Ealy in the 2014 draft. Stephen Jones admitted he would have been the pick in the 2nd round had the team not moved up to draft Demarcus Lawrence.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hit on Trey Flowers and now talking up Wise Jr.

Have the Pats found another pass rusher off the Razorbacks right under Jerry's nose....

Whoever handles scouting DEs and edge players for the Pats, let's sign him. Or clone him.

Sydla

Reaction score
It really is frustrating

We won't sign expensive FAs and we rarely draft high enough to get an impact DE

We have to explore all other options........ like DMoore and a guy like Kony(who was a draft pet cat around here)

It's a bizarre reaction IMO.

And funny, it sometimes involves the same people who have been defending Carroll and Moore, even though it is pretty much the same situation.

robjay04

Reaction score
Of course he's not better than what we have. The problem is we are in a position where to start the year we might not have enough of "what we have". It very well could be the case that we might have only 3 truly healthy DEs to start the season that can play in those first few games. I'd rather have a guy like Ealy on the team that has upside than some UDFA that people think looked ********* awesome against the 5th stringers in the last preseason game.

I'm all for it if we don't have to give up a pick...because then you feel obligated to give him a roster spot.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm all for it if we don't have to give up a pick...because then you feel obligated to give him a roster spot.

Would we have to give up a pick? If he's cut, I don't think there is any compensation issues signing a guy off the waiver wire. Now if he were a free agent, that's a different story.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
We are sorry at drafting DEs. Just sorry. The best two pass rushers we had were Haley in free agency and Ware who was drafted as an OLB for the 3-4. I think Haley started out as an OLB as well.

DE wise we kinda suck

cowboys1985

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see how much he has fallen, was really solid in his first few years in the league with the Panthers. Also, who could forget how he dominated the Broncos' offensive line in the Superbowl. He had like 3 sacks a FF and an INT. But I don't know about him, Carolina giving up on him after 2 years and now him almost losing his spot in NE raises big concerns, however, I don't see Dallas having anything better. Would be worth pursing if he's available.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
We are sorry at drafting DEs. Just sorry. The best two pass rushers we had were Haley in free agency and Ware who was drafted as an OLB for the 3-4. I think Haley started out as an OLB as well.

DE wise we kinda suck

Yeah the same was said years ago about the OL, cause we were trying to do like the 90s and draft them later, with no success.

I figure we will have to spend some more draft resources there like we did with the OL or get awful lucky.

robjay04

Reaction score
Would we have to give up a pick? If he's cut, I don't think there is any compensation issues signing a guy off the waiver wire. Now if he were a free agent, that's a different story.

Problem is---we are low on the waiver wire. High chance you don't get him without a pick.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Would absolutely kick the tires on this guy if he's cut free. With the suspensions and then lingering healthy issues that could be there with Tapper and Crawford, it would be a no brainer to me.
FWIW the Cowboys really like Ealy when he came out