de tyrone crawford

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4534791 said:
So that's 54 with them, 65 with the Cowboys scouting department, 73 or thereabouts with Mayock. So we did well.

And I think Wes Bunting had him at 85... so his average draft rating was a hair over 69... we picked him at 81...

Nope, value is not an issue with this pick... production and fit are...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I like the prospect, just not sure how he'll fit on a D that needs guys now.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;4535289 said:
You're saying we "need" a 3-4 DE right now? This was a luxury pick in my opinion. We don't need a pass rushing 3-4 DE. Not now. But you have to think about it this way -- in this guy's prime, we won't have Ware, or at least not the guy we know today.

jjktkk

Reaction score
TheCount;4535289 said:

The D-line needs depth. Crawford provides it. I see Lissemore and to a lesser degree, Brent, being impact players on the D-line, with Lissemore competing for a starting job. So I'm alittle confused with your comment here.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
jjktkk;4534557 said:
What were you expecting for a 3rd rounder? A pro bowler in his rookie year? :rolleyes:

Murray could have been had he stayed healthy and started day 1.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;4535295 said:
You're saying we "need" a 3-4 DE right now? This was a luxury pick in my opinion. We don't need a pass rushing 3-4 DE. Not now. But you have to think about it this way -- in this guy's prime, we won't have Ware, or at least not the guy we know today.

Ugh, that's like telling me my puppy is gonna die someday.

jjktkk;4535299 said:
The D-line needs depth. Crawford provides it. I see Lissemore and to a lesser degree, Brent, being impact players on the D-line, with Lissemore competing for a starting job. So I'm alittle confused with your comment here.

We've actually got some depth but we took a step back when we lost Bowen for sure. What I really mean though is that I was hoping for an every down, can't take him off the field, DE. Crawford seems more like a project guy, and we already bring our DE's along slowly.

If we already had that every down DE, I'd be doing cartwheels with this pick. As it is, I'm happy, but feeling greedy. I wish he was ready to start now.

Woods

Reaction score
We can put Crawford in our 4 man fronts, nickel defense, and rotate him a bit in our base defense as well pretty quickly I'd imagine.

Woods

Reaction score
Bigdog;4535114 said:
His combine numbers are very similar to Fletcher Cox:

Cox:
Height: 6-4 Wieght:295
40 yd dash: 4.79
10 yd split: 1.63
Bench: 30 reps
vertical: 26
Broad jump: 8-7
Arm length: 34 1/2

Crawford:
Height: 6-4 Weight: 280
40 yd dash: 4.81
10 yd split: 1.62
Bench: 28 reps
vertical: 33
broad jump: 9-5
Arm length: 33 3/4

When you watch his highlights, you can tell Crawford is athletic as well. He moves really well for a guy his size, imo.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great pick.

Happy to see the Cowboys going away from the plodding 300lb at DE who has no burst.

This guy may actually threaten an offensive tackle a little with his pass rush ability.

I think the guy could see a lot of snaps in passing situations this coming season.

Add another 10lbs, build up his strength a little more, get use to the Cowboy defense and he could be a starter in 2013.

Bluestang

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4535433 said:
Great pick.

Happy to see the Cowboys going away from the plodding 300lb at DE who has no burst.

This guy may actually threaten an offensive tackle a little with his pass rush ability.

I think the guy could see a lot of snaps in passing situations this coming season.

Add another 10lbs, build up his strength a little more, get use to the Cowboy defense and he could be a starter in 2013.

More importantly we can run more base 4-3 and help the rush or coverage depending on the play call.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Bigdog;4535114 said:
His combine numbers are very similar to Fletcher Cox:

Cox:
Height: 6-4 Wieght:295
40 yd dash: 4.79
10 yd split: 1.63
Bench: 30 reps
vertical: 26
Broad jump: 8-7
Arm length: 34 1/2

Crawford:
Height: 6-4 Weight: 280
40 yd dash: 4.81
10 yd split: 1.62
Bench: 28 reps
vertical: 33
broad jump: 9-5
Arm length: 33 3/4

Actually, their weights at the combine were 298 and 275, respectively, so these numbers should take into account that Cox is 20 pounds heavier and also Crawford ran a 4.89 there.

I do believe alot here overrated Cox, he could turn out to be a good player with all those players around him on the line in Philly, but Cox and Crawford do have similar production numbers though. Cox also has problems anchoring against the run, which is supposed to be less of a problem with Crawford although he is at a lighter weight.

Cox is more ready right now, but in 2 years I would like to revisit it although Cox will have more opportunities playing as a 3 tech than Crawford will have as a 5 tech.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bluestang;4535451 said:
More importantly we can run more base 4-3 and help the rush or coverage depending on the play call.

True.

The kid can be a 4-3 DE.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4535112 said:
I knew he had a reputation for being a great athlete, but I didn't know he was running a 7.09 3 cone at 280 lbs. Man, that's impressive.

Dude's 3 cone drill is almost as good Claiborne's.

The potential is there. All reports point to Crawford having a strong work ethic and being a good kid, so that eliminates a little bit of the risk involved. If he fails, it won't be because he didn't work hard enough.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;4534582 said:
All I know is that he was not in Kiper's top 10 available

He is 71st overall on Kiper's board. He thinks a lot of Crawford.

McShay likes him too. Said he wouldn't have a problem with a team using a late 2nd on him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's 80th overall on Scouts Inc.'s board.

When you read the reviews after the draft, I doubt anyone is going to knock this pick.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Risen Star;4535487 said:
He's 80th overall on Scouts Inc.'s board.

When you read the reviews after the draft, I doubt anyone is going to knock this pick.

The Cowboys said he was the top rated 3rd rounder on their board. Much like Butler he should get pass rush snaps on a steady rotation.

Woods

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4535433 said:
Great pick.

I like the Crawford pick better than drafting Brockers from a pass rushing perspective.

Woods

Reaction score
xwalker;4534682 said:
Here is Crawford's measureables. For reference, I included the data from some 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE types that had slower agility times than the 5-tech Crawford.

That's a very good cone time.

Nice vertical and 10 yard split as well.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
numnuts23;4534604 said:
We heard the same on Hatcher and we are still waiting....

While Jason Hatcher hasn't played to his upside yet. If you look at all the players drafted after Hatchers, till the Cowboys picked again in the 4th round, only 14 players are still in the NFL, and of those 14, only 8 of them are regular starters.
Stephen Tulloch
Stephen Gostkowski
Brandon Marshall
Domata Peko
Barry Cofield
Owen Daniels
Jahri Evans
Eric Smith

While Hatcher has not turned out to be a great pick, he certainly has not been near as bad of a pick as many want to pretend that he has been.