Deadskins are apparently not in "Cap Hell"

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised to read soon that the CBA has been extended and that the % of shared revenue going to the players via the cap will increase. Unfortunately for Cowboy fans this give the Skins additional cap dollars to leverage.

Yeah, but it'll give us equal additional cap dollars... I'll take my chances with that... the Boys will still be in the more enviable cap situation...

david_jackson

Reaction score
I like our chances too. Unfortunately that would keep them out of cap hell for awhile though. That would be very unfortunate as I was really looking forward to watchng them struggle with the cap this year!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
clayman said:
and have been taking a quieter approach to free agency by looking for blue collar type additions (rabach, patten) that aren't way costly stars

It's funny. All skins fans are saying this same thing.

However, the Commanders didn't take a quieter approach by design... they simply didn't have the cap room to do anything more than sign a couple of role players.

They couldn't even keep Smoot/Pierce who they needed. Had they been able to keep Smoot, they could've used last years 9th overall draft pick on Merriman or Ware instead of Rogers. That would've given them the edge rusher they so desperately need and given them a better combo at CB than they had last year (Harris/Rogers and Springs).

It's a pretty transparent attempt to make themselves feel better when Skins fans start saying they took a low-key approach. The team just didn't have the cap dollars to do any more than they did.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
dstew60105 said:
What success on the field? The Commanders have been doormats for as long as I can remember. This year was a fluke.

Doormats before Joe Gibbs came back, yes. If we bomb in 2006, and the year after I'll concede this year was a fluke. But we are on an upswing as far as I'm concerned.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
preacher238 said:
???:lmao2:

Are you high?? A winning record, this year only, qualifies as success on the field?? You, moron, are high!

Denver has had success for many years...and Joe Gibbs taking a 6-10 team that went 1-5 in the NFC East to a 10-6 team that went 5-1 in the division in my mind, with a win in the playoffs, qualifies as success.

All I have to say is that we are now a legitimate contender, a threat in the NFL. You can't expect your two freebie wins when you play us anymore, not anymore.

The rivalry is back and fiercer then ever.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:

However, the Commanders didn't take a quieter approach by design... they simply didn't have the cap room to do anything more than sign a couple of role players.

They couldn't even keep Smoot/Pierce who they needed. Had they been able to keep Smoot, they could've used last years 9th overall draft pick on Merriman or Ware instead of Rogers. That would've given them the edge rusher they so desperately need and given them a better combo at CB than they had last year (Harris/Rogers and Springs).

It's a pretty transparent attempt to make themselves feel better when Skins fans start saying they took a low-key approach. The team just didn't have the cap dollars to do any more than they did.

Can't argue with the results of the moves we have made in the past 2 years, and the major trades Coles for Moss and Bailey for Portis...have made a pathetic offense respectable again.

clayman

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:

Considering I am not a Skins fan that is funny...I am just a realist yet loyal to my Boyz. Put it this way, would you have paid Smoot or Pierce MORE money than their Pro Bowl counterparts Springs or Marcus Washington???? I don't think any sane person would have done that...its fiscally irresponsible and would set a tone and bad taste over the two probowl players and the roster in general. If you look at the offers given to both players they weren't insults just not as gawdy as what the received elsewhere so Kudos to them as this is a league that the career span isn't too long so players have to get their money when they can. But continue to paint anyone as not blindly loyal to the Boyz as a Skins fan if you must. Carry on.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Can't argue with the results of the moves we have made in the past 2 years, and the major trades Coles for Moss and Bailey for Portis...have made a pathetic offense respectable again.

Getting Portis and Moss has helped the offense get better. The last couple of games this year showed that you still have a long way to go on offense though.

Now, should the skins have made the Bailey - Portis trade? I don't think so, because running back is probably the easiest position to find a good player at, IMO. Good backs can be found all the way to the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Take Marion Barber III for example. I think Gibbs would love to have him and I think he'd be very good in Gibbs system. He's tough and had plenty of speed and power. Parcells picked him up in the 4th round... and the fact is, you can find guys like him all day long. I know that many Commanders fans have questioned if Betts might not be a better fit in Gibbs system. Do I think that? No, but the difference would be small enough as to probably not matter. Throw in Portis' quirky, gansta nature, and his incredibly high salary and I think it was foolish to trade for Portis. He's just not that much better than most NFL backs.

Bailey would've been fine staying in DC if you guys would've paid him and to me, CB is one position that you should pony up the $$ for... whereas RB just isn't. You'll see that teams agree this year when S. Alexander and E. James are cut loose from their respective teams. RB's are just too easy to come by to break the bank for one.

Had the skins played it smart, here's what they would've done. And this really isn't hindsight because it's all things that are just common sense with how it should be done in the NFL.

First, they would've paid the big money to Bailey instead of Arrington. It's common sense and pretty much convention around the NFL that real good corners are pretty had to come by and is a position that you pay at. On the other hand, 4-3 LB's are a dime a dozen. Just get an instinctive, fast athlete and plug him in and you're good to go. In the 4-3, the sacks come primarily from the DL while the LB's simply cover the backs and TE's and make tackles in the run game. Dexter Coakley, Antonio Pierce, Randall Godfrey and Johnathan Vilma are all good examples of this. You can find good one's from round 1 all the way to round 4 or 5. They're usually available in free agency too. They're just too easy to come by to spend big dollars on one. That's not just my opinon either... it's pretty much convention in the NFL.

So I'm not sure why the skins decided to pay the huge contract to Arrington and let Bailey go.

Had they paid Bailey and not Lavar, they wouldn't have traded for Portis, but that wouldn't be a big deal since good backs are pretty easy to find. They could've then taken the money they spent on Shawn Springs and instead spent it on a free agent RB, or taken the 2nd round pick they used for Portis and find a running back like say Tatum Bell or with a little manuevering Steven Jackson (who would be dynamite in Gibbs sytem).

Without Portis' huge contract, the would've then had money to spend on Pierce and Smoot this season and so would've had a very good pair of CB's and a very good MLB instead of going with whoever at MLB and Harris at CB.

Then, with no need to draft Rogers last year, they could've gone with Merriman or Ware at DE at pick #9... maybe even Mike Williams who would be a great complement to Moss at the other WR spot.

So, by paying Champ istead of Lavar, they could've ended up with:

Bailey and Smoot at CB.
Pierce at MLB.
Steven Jackson or Tatum Bell at RB.
Shawne Merriman at DE next to Griffin.
or
Mike Williams at the 2nd WR spot.
and
More cap space.

Instead they have:
Springs and Rogers at CB.
Marshall at MLB
Portis at RB
Nobody at DE.
or
Nobody at the 2nd WR spot.
Very little cap space.

Still, that isn't what I was talking about. I was saying that so many skins fans say they got smart and didn't go on a spending spree this year when in reality, they simply didn't have the money to do much. In other words... the skins may not be in cap hell... but they're at least in cap purgatory.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
clayman said:
Put it this way, would you have paid Smoot or Pierce MORE money than their Pro Bowl counterparts Springs or Marcus Washington???? I don't think any sane person would have done that...its fiscally irresponsible and would set a tone and bad taste over the two probowl players and the roster in general. If you look at the offers given to both players they weren't insults just not as gawdy as what the received elsewhere so Kudos to them as this is a league that the career span isn't too long so players have to get their money when they can. But continue to paint anyone as not blindly loyal to the Boyz as a Skins fan if you must. Carry on.

That's BS. Every year salaries go up and if they had to pay a little more to Smoot than to Springs to keep him then that's what they should've done. Look at what Dallas paid for Henry. Look what Lucas got... look what Baxter got. That was just the going rate for good corners in last years free agent market. Springs apparently was happy with what he signed for... Smoot's contract would've been exclusive of Springs' contract. If players got upset over that, the whole league would always be mad.

Gibbs and the skins were saying they didn't want to pay Smoot more that Springs when the truth is, they just didn't have the money and they were spinning to the media... which I can tell you bought hook, line and sinker. What were they supposed to say? We spent irresposibly over the past few years and now we can't afford to pay Smoot and Pierce? No, they're not going to say that.

Those two guys would've helped, and if they didn't have to go CB with the 9th pick they could've either gotten the 2nd WR they so desperately needed or they could've gotten the edge rusher they lack.

clayman said:
Considering I am not a Skins fan that is funny...I am just a realist yet loyal to my Boyz. But continue to paint anyone as not blindly loyal to the Boyz as a Skins fan if you must. Carry on.

I never called you a skins fan... I simply used your quote to show how skins fans are always saying they were frugal when they were cheap because they had no money to spend. By your line of thinking, the homeless people who are sleeping in the streets must be financially brilliant.

How am I being blindly loyal to the Cowboys when I'm not even talking about them? I'm talking about the Commanders and their cap situation.

And thanks for letting me know that I could carry on... I've been waiting to get your OK on that all day.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
clayman said:
have been taking a quieter approach to free agency by looking for blue collar type additions (rabach, patten)

you lost all credibility when you brought up Patten :laugh2:

that's all the Skins are able to do, it wasn't planned, it came about because of circumstance...Daniel Snyder

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
For the most part, I could care less what team is or isn't in cap hell. I'm more concerned about Dallas being a good team and from there, I'll let the cards fall where they may. You're not going to make the Super Bowl by having every team roll over for you.

Even still, PCinOz's plan is rather preposterous and I don't know why they still have his article up on scout.com Web site. And even with that, I'd say that that in the past 10 years the Super Bowl teams were made by their quality drafting and development of young, and rather cheaply priced free agents.

Rich..................

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:

:hammer:

losing Smoot and Pierce, isn't exactly what I call, "keeping the core together"

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
clayman said:
would you have paid Smoot or Pierce MORE money than their Pro Bowl counterparts Springs or Marcus Washington????

well, isn't that trying to keep the core together? see, Gibbs saying he wants to keep the core together is just what Silverbear said, a euphanism, a euphanism for, "we have no money to spend"

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Getting Portis and Moss has helped the offense get better. The last couple of games this year showed that you still have a long way to go on offense though.

Now, should the skins have made the Bailey - Portis trade? I don't think so, because running back is probably the easiest position to find a good player at, IMO. Good backs can be found all the way to the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Take Marion Barber III for example. I think Gibbs would love to have him and I think he'd be very good in Gibbs system. He's tough and had plenty of speed and power. Parcells picked him up in the 4th round... and the fact is, you can find guys like him all day long. I know that many Commanders fans have questioned if Betts might not be a better fit in Gibbs system. Do I think that? No, but the difference would be small enough as to probably not matter. Throw in Portis' quirky, gansta nature, and his incredibly high salary and I think it was foolish to trade for Portis. He's just not that much better than most NFL backs.

Bailey would've been fine staying in DC if you guys would've paid him and to me, CB is one position that you should pony up the $$ for... whereas RB just isn't. You'll see that teams agree this year when S. Alexander and E. James are cut loose from their respective teams. RB's are just too easy to come by to break the bank for one.

Had the skins played it smart, here's what they would've done. And this really isn't hindsight because it's all things that are just common sense with how it should be done in the NFL.

First, they would've paid the big money to Bailey instead of Arrington. It's common sense and pretty much convention around the NFL that real good corners are pretty had to come by and is a position that you pay at. On the other hand, 4-3 LB's are a dime a dozen. Just get an instinctive, fast athlete and plug him in and you're good to go. In the 4-3, the sacks come primarily from the DL while the LB's simply cover the backs and TE's and make tackles in the run game. Dexter Coakley, Antonio Pierce, Randall Godfrey and Johnathan Vilma are all good examples of this. You can find good one's from round 1 all the way to round 4 or 5. They're usually available in free agency too. They're just too easy to come by to spend big dollars on one. That's not just my opinon either... it's pretty much convention in the NFL.

So I'm not sure why the skins decided to pay the huge contract to Arrington and let Bailey go.

Had they paid Bailey and not Lavar, they wouldn't have traded for Portis, but that wouldn't be a big deal since good backs are pretty easy to find. They could've then taken the money they spent on Shawn Springs and instead spent it on a free agent RB, or taken the 2nd round pick they used for Portis and find a running back like say Tatum Bell or with a little manuevering Steven Jackson (who would be dynamite in Gibbs sytem).

Without Portis' huge contract, the would've then had money to spend on Pierce and Smoot this season and so would've had a very good pair of CB's and a very good MLB instead of going with whoever at MLB and Harris at CB.

Then, with no need to draft Rogers last year, they could've gone with Merriman or Ware at DE at pick #9... maybe even Mike Williams who would be a great complement to Moss at the other WR spot.

So, by paying Champ istead of Lavar, they could've ended up with:

Bailey and Smoot at CB.
Pierce at MLB.
Steven Jackson or Tatum Bell at RB.
Shawne Merriman at DE next to Griffin.
or
Mike Williams at the 2nd WR spot.
and
More cap space.

Instead they have:
Springs and Rogers at CB.
Marshall at MLB
Portis at RB
Nobody at DE.
or
Nobody at the 2nd WR spot.
Very little cap space.

Still, that isn't what I was talking about. I was saying that so many skins fans say they got smart and didn't go on a spending spree this year when in reality, they simply didn't have the money to do much. In other words... the skins may not be in cap hell... but they're at least in cap purgatory.

Are you Bobby Beathard?

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
we saw your "respectable" offense in the playoffs...

I just knew you were gonna say that. Our offense was ranked #11 in the NFL which is alot better then #24 in the 2004 season. To me, losing to the #1 seed, at their place, coming off a tough physical game and battling injury, isn't an embarrassment.

I can't wait for next season to begin...would love to discuss games with you guys as the season goes along.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well, isn't that trying to keep the core together? see, Gibbs saying he wants to keep the core together is just what Silverbear said, a euphanism, a euphanism for, "we have no money to spend"

Isn't keeping the core together tantamount to success? After all its what all the great dynasties have done.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I have to agree with YR....I really don't care about how other teams measure up against the cap. All I care about is us having a good team again.

I think we're darn close. Actually, I think we're a Flo knee injury away from a birth in the NFC Championship game.

About Cap-Hell. I just don't think it exists anymore....at least not how we went through it. The cap was new when we won our last SB. It's sad, but we were just too good. There was no way to keep all of our good players. JJ did his best, but even though we could keep our core of superstars, we couldn't keep quality supporting players. Teams hadn't figured out how to massage the cap.

Now teams do.......I don't see why we're on pins and needles waiting for the Skins to fall into the abyss. They won't. I think Snyder and Co. have it figured out. Whether their system is legit or not, I can't tell. There may be some "under-the-table" dealings.

But it works.....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RiggoForever said:
Isn't keeping the core together tantamount to success? After all its what all the great dynasties have done.

I suppose it depends on the core. To answer your question, yes, we kept our cores together for our great dynasties.

clayman

Reaction score
You got me on David Patten....I site corrected. :) but it wasn't like Brunell would look past Moss, Cooley and a RB....but good point...Patten was not the player they envisioned as #2 and that was great for us.