Deal to trade Culpepper in place

montgod

Reaction score
VIKINGS
Deal to trade Culpepper in place
THE NEWS
It looks like Daunte Culpepper is getting his wish. Last season the Vikings traded away their franchise receiver; this season they're shipping away their franchise quarterback. Team officials confirmed to NFL.com on Thursday that they have a deal in place to trade their disgruntled signal caller. The trade is expected to go through on Friday, just before the start of free agency, but Culpepper's destination is still unknown.

Our View
It is not every day you see a trade confirmed without anyone knowing which team the player is going to. Any place Culpepper ends up obviously plans to use him as their starting quarterback once he fully recovers from the serious knee injury he suffered last season. Once Daunte's destination is known, we'll pass it along and break down all the fantasy implications of the first major trade of the offseason. Stay tuned.

Fanball.com

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I can see the Chicago Cubs with helmets, Cardinals dumb enough to give the Vike's a high draft pick.

Reaction score
Actually it's pretty much a gimme he's going to either Oakland or Miami. If I were him I'd join Moss in Oakland and play for a great coach like Hall Of Fame tackle Art Shell.

montgod

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Actually it's pretty much a gimme he's going to either Oakland or Miami. If I were him I'd join Moss in Oakland and play for a great coach like Hall Of Fame tackle Art Shell.

Great coach? Haha....I sense the sarcasm...

Honestly, I don't think Culpepper has any say in where he goes. The Vikings are just ready to dump him.

I still realistically see him going to the Cardinals, because, like the previous poster stated, they are dumb enough to give up a high draft pick for him. Hopefully, not dumb enough for their #1 this year.

Then again, they did just resign Warner to a semi-hefty deal...so I see Miami being the next option since they are searching hard for a QB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Personally I'd rather see him go to Oakland. Since he still has MVP potential, Minny should get him the heck out of the NFC.

montgod

Reaction score
How did I know that at least one person would vote for Dallas? Goodness....

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I keep reading that Oakland is the frontrunner, which is pretty funny IMO. If Arizona pulled this off then cutting McCown and keeping Warner makes more sense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bobtheflob said:
I keep reading that Oakland is the frontrunner, which is pretty funny IMO. If Arizona pulled this off then cutting McCown and keeping Warner makes more sense.
If Collins gets cut and Cutler's not there, they're left with their you know whats in their hands. Oakland is clearly a logical suitor.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
who cares where he goes as long as it isnt here, and it wont be

David

alancdc

Reaction score
How could Oakland afford his contract? The NFL isn't like the NBA where they have to trade like salaries, is it? Arizona just gave Warner a 3 year extension, but not sure the money? Miami is the only spot I can see, but I thought they had cap problems as well?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
who cares where he goes as long as it isnt here, and it wont be
Yikes, woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning???

I voted Arizona, though I have read that Saban covets Culpepper. I'm not sure he'll be ready for the start of the season though.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Why would he go to Arizona when the just resigned Warner for a 18$ million.

montgod

Reaction score
BAZ said:
Why would he go to Arizona when the just resigned Warner for a 18$ million.

I am sorry....was that a "logical" question for Arizona? You know those don't apply to the Cardinals. :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
alancdc said:
How could Oakland afford his contract? The NFL isn't like the NBA where they have to trade like salaries, is it? Arizona just gave Warner a 3 year extension, but not sure the money? Miami is the only spot I can see, but I thought they had cap problems as well?
I'm not too certain about Oakland's cap situation, but I'd imagine that if they plan on cutting Collins (and apparently they do), they must be able to fill the QB position with SOMEBODY. If they don't have the cap room to sign a QB, why release Collins?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vikings not passing up Culpepper trade

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(March 9, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings have a deal in place to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper, team officials confirmed Thursday. The trade is imminent, with the deal expected to go through Friday, just before the start of free agency.

Where Culpepper is going is the biggest mystery in the league. As of now, it is not Oakland. The Raiders and Vikings spoke Thursday, but Oakland is trying to gauge whether or not it wants to try to match, or beat, the other teams' offer. It will spend Thursday night mulling its decision.

But the Vikings have made it clear that they have found a suitable trade partner, with suitable compensation, and now Culpepper and the Vikings each will get their wish. They will part ways, leaving on more bitter terms than wide receiver Randy Moss left Minnesota last season.

Culpepper could not get along with new Vikings coach Brad Childress, and the quarterback has upset various members of the organization with what they feel is his immature behavior. Their relationship, by all accounts, will end Friday. But the only ones who knows where Culpepper's next relationship will resume are the Vikings and their trading partner.

Teams in need of quarterbacks include Miami, New Orleans, Detroit, the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens and the Oakland Raiders, who still have not released Kerry Collins, even if it has been reported that they have.

Chances are, one of those places will be Culpepper's home this season.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9295762

montgod

Reaction score
theogt said:
I'm not too certain about Oakland's cap situation, but I'd imagine that if they plan on cutting Collins (and apparently they do), they must be able to fill the QB position with SOMEBODY. If they don't have the cap room to sign a QB, why release Collins?

Because they don't like Collins.

Not only that, but don't forget that Woodson is coming off the books too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
montgod said:
Because they don't like Collins.

Not only that, but don't forget that Woodson is coming off the books too.
Whatever the reason for releasing him, they can't possibly do so without the ability to sign another QB.