Dealing With Depression

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4779368 said:
What is the best way to deal with depression in your opinion?

...whatever you do don't lose your grip with people.

It may not be with your present peer group or someone you know right now, but you need a connection with someone to keep you in perspective and allow you to work through your feelings. Preferably you want someone well grounded and where you feel safe and comfortable to express your situation.

It may be a professional, just a friend or just an acquantaince.

You don't want people in your face, but you can't shut everyone out. Good luck and keep your hopes up.

Reaction score
davidyee;4779378 said:
...whatever you do don't lose your grip with people.

It may not be with your present peer group or someone you know right now, but you need a connection with someone to keep you in perspective and allow you to work through your feelings. Preferably you want someone well grounded and where you feel safe and comfortable to express your situation.

It may be a professional, just a friend or just an acquantaince.

You don't want people in your face, but you can't shut everyone out. Good luck and keep your hopes up.

Well next week I'm going to talk to someone. He's a preacher and also a therapist. Not sure it'll help much, but hopefully it does. I hate feeling like this. My friends have been texting and saying they wanna chill/hang out with me, but right now I'm just not in the mood.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If you're depressed over the loss of your aunt then that is normal. If you are or think you might become dysfunctional over it then you should talk with someone. If you are very agitated or lethargic or can't sleep then you should see a doctor to help that until you are better. If you've been depressed in the past then you should see a doctor now.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that

From my experience whenever i feel down I get up and do something. Run, work out, do something in the yard, etc. Whenever your moving you don't have time to think about anything like that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Depression is the dwelling on something that makes you unhappy. You must free your mind from dwelling on it. That doesn't mean you have to forget what is happening, you just must not allow your mind to dwell on it.

This same thing can be applied to things that make you angry or agitated also.

The best way to learn to do this is usually through some form of meditation. Basic meditation requires you to free your mind of thought and allow yourself to become relaxed and calm. Meditation takes practice as it can be difficult to keep your mind from wondering at first. Though, if you start with short sessions like 5 minutes, you will see notice a definite difference in how you feel.

Soon, you may become depressed about something and you won't even have to actually meditate to help relieve the stress. You will already know how to free your mind of it.

There are several articles on the Internet about learning meditation. I would look at several different ones. Not all are the same. It can be very beneficial in many ways beyond just your current depression.

Mash

Reaction score
If you ever need to chat.....please PM me...

I have battled depression for a very long time.....lost a son that if it wasnt for help I received from doctors....my priest....and especially my family ....I dont know if I would be here.

Try to keep away from being alone too much.....its easy to get caught up in that dark place. I know....it happened to me alot and you dont even realize it that you are doing it.

Depression shouldnt be taken lightly.......mourning a loss is tough....but time will heal......

If you have had depression issues throughout your life.....then I would seek out medical help. I would lean on my family and friends....

CxC1993

Reaction score
I'm sorry you're battling depression.It's normal after you lose a family member, however don't let it get out of control. Stay close to those you love & talk to someone you can trust.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Grief can be incapacitating. While you need to allow yourself time to grieve, you also have to allow yourself to move on with your life.

If you need to, set aside time to grieve for a short period every day. Tell yourself you are going to focus on those feelings and give in to them for a half hour or an hour each day, at a time that works for you. Then, the rest of the day, focus on the daily living of your life.

This way, you are allowing yourself the time you need while not letting it absorb all aspects of your life.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4779380 said:
Well next week I'm going to talk to someone. He's a preacher and also a therapist. Not sure it'll help much, but hopefully it does. I hate feeling like this. My friends have been texting and saying they wanna chill/hang out with me, but right now I'm just not in the mood.

Talking with someone who knows about this sort of thing is good.

I don't know about this, but I would say to try and go with your friends some. Even if you don't really feel like it.

Plus, try to do things for others, it may help not to dwell on your grief.

Maybe volunteering at a mission or the salvation army, or volunteering at a hospital.

Good luck, keep your prayers going.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4779368 said:
What is the best way to deal with depression in your opinion?

Exercise, lift heavy weights and strive to eat as good as you can (lots of fibrous veg and lean protein). I was on lexipro and it didn't have any effect on me, but working out did wonders. It increases testosterone and improves hormones, posture, etc.

It's amazing how quickly I feel like crap when I don't exercise

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is talk to someone. Even if you don't feel like being physically around other people, pick up the phone and call someone. Don't leave your thoughts to yourself, otherwise, you can fall deeper into depression. I've been there before and it was by talking to my friends and family that I was able to come out of it.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
It depends on severity of one's depression. My ex-wife was pretty bad and it took a long time to find the right mix of medications to help her, even with few weeks of being inpatient at a mental facility, it still is a touch and go at times.

Reaction score
jobberone;4779400 said:
If you're depressed over the loss of your aunt then that is normal. If you are or think you might become dysfunctional over it then you should talk with someone. If you are very agitated or lethargic or can't sleep then you should see a doctor to help that until you are better. If you've been depressed in the past then you should see a doctor now.

I've been depressed several times in the past. This is nothing new unfortunately. It's not just my aunts death although that is the main cause for it. It's a combination of things. I went to her house yesterday to go visit with her and see my family and it was just so weird not seeing her there. I basically lived at her house and watched a bunch of Cowboys games there. I'm not sure the games will ever be the same again. I still can't believe she's gone. That's really gonna be the toughest part for me just realizing that she is gone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
yimyammer;4779567 said:
Exercise, lift heavy weights and strive to eat as good as you can (lots of fibrous veg and lean protein). I was on lexipro and it didn't have any effect on me, but working out did wonders. It increases testosterone and improves hormones, posture, etc.

It's amazing how quickly I feel like crap when I don't exercise
BINGO! Get your body right, get your mind right.

Also, cleaning helps. Clutter is a serious cause of anxiety. Sounds dumb, but I think it works a bit.

Also, just be awesome
[youtube]7gqYAuFvtXM[/youtube]

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4779449 said:
Depression is the dwelling on something that makes you unhappy. You must free your mind from dwelling on it. That doesn't mean you have to forget what is happening, you just must not allow your mind to dwell on it.

This same thing can be applied to things that make you angry or agitated also.

The best way to learn to do this is usually through some form of meditation. Basic meditation requires you to free your mind of thought and allow yourself to become relaxed and calm. Meditation takes practice as it can be difficult to keep your mind from wondering at first. Though, if you start with short sessions like 5 minutes, you will see notice a definite difference in how you feel.

Soon, you may become depressed about something and you won't even have to actually meditate to help relieve the stress. You will already know how to free your mind of it.

There are several articles on the Internet about learning meditation. I would look at several different ones. Not all are the same. It can be very beneficial in many ways beyond just your current depression.

This is NOT the definition of depression.

Clinical depression is characterized by the depletion of one or more neurotransmitters (such as serotonin) that lead to a loss of control and/or regulation of mood, coping skills, and rationale.
These are serious biochemical changes which one cannot simply wish away or ignore. A continuous week of this loss of regulation should prompt a visit with a licensed councellor or physician.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doc50;4779773 said:

Clinical depression is characterized by the depletion of one or more neurotransmitters (such as serotonin) that lead to a loss of control and/or regulation of mood, coping skills, and rationale.
These are serious biochemical changes which one cannot simply wish away or ignore. A continuous week of this loss of regulation should prompt a visit with a licensed councellor or physician.

Stop trying to Kevorkianize him Doc!

I'm well aware that depression is a bio chemical issue. I also know that mental state can affect the bodies bio chemical make up. I also know that I didn't just say wish away this problem. I also know drugs aren't always required and sometimes fail to work at all. ;)

So, I "also know" you should apologize to me. :D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
As some have said here... exercise is vital...

Also, there is a supplement called Sam-E that you can get anywhere that helps cope with depression...

I have a family member that uses it and swears by it...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doc50;4779773 said:

Thank you.

It's a real shame that in our language the same word is used for both a serious medical issue and transient feelings of sadness that we all go through.

C&L, it sounds like you're dealing with grief. Everyone goes through it and it does pass. Death is part of life and we all feel its effects when it happens to a loved one, but you will be okay. As the others said, talk to people, be social, and take care of yourself physically -- work out hard, eat well, go outside and get some sun, and try to sleep on a normal schedule.

If your feelings last for many weeks, along with feeling unable to function or accomplish the most basic task, contact a mental health professional.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4779792 said:
Stop trying to Kevorkianize him Doc!

I'm well aware that depression is a bio chemical issue. I also know that mental state can affect the bodies bio chemical make up. I also know that I didn't just say wish away this problem. I also know drugs aren't always required and sometimes fail to work at all. ;)

So, I "also know" you should apologize to me. :D

Does "Kevorkianize" mean euthanize to you?

I post here in regard to healthcare as an advocate in this field since 1971.
My intention is to provide proper advice and information, with an emphasis on safety, and I take all questions seriously.