Dean Blandino, Asst VP of Officiating, explains what a catch is if you're a Bengals WR

Staubacher

Reaction score
Please watch this everyone and mods with respect please allow. I referenced this in another thread but this bears watching and attention.

It is blatant hypocrisy from Blandino and the league and absolute proof the NY and Steratore overturn of the Dez catch call on the field was selective and bogus.

The Natural

Reaction score
2vS7iO2.jpg

"Completed the catch process and did not have to hold on to the ball"

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think -- and it's not completely clear -- but I think what he is saying is that he was only falling to the ground after the catch because of the contact. If you're not falling to the ground and you have two feet in bounds with control, it's a complete pass. But if you're falling to the ground while securing control of the ball, control has to be maintained throughout the process.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Pretty sickening if you ask me. Obviously Dez starts to fall to the ground after contact or should I say tripping. Even with that he attempts a football move reaching the ball out. There's not enough evidence to over turn Dez Bryant's catch either. Especially to determine a playoff game.

The Natural

Reaction score
I think -- and it's not completely clear -- but I think what he is saying is that he was only falling to the ground after the catch because of the contact. If you're not falling to the ground and you have two feet in bounds with control, it's a complete pass. But if you're falling to the ground while securing control of the ball, control has to be maintained throughout the process.

How is "contact" defined with respect to this rule. Is it hand to the body, incidental, legs wrapping, etc.? Or is it defined at all?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wow!!!!! What a find.....If I'm Jerry....On the phone w/ a lawyer. Al Davis sued the league (And won). Just sayingo_O

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
How is "contact" defined with respect to this rule. Is it hand to the body, incidental, legs wrapping, etc.? Or is it defined at all?
I'm not sure it really matters. In that instance, if the defender had not contacted him, he would not have fallen to the ground. But obviously Dez was going to the ground regardless of contact.

sb220

Reaction score
"....and that means forward progress was stopped in the field of play....."

Do you guys just overlook reality to make it apply to your argument?

Forward progress is called...nothing after that whistle matters. Is there inconsistency with forward progress? yep...does it have anything to do with what you are trying to imply it does? no

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Unbelievable...

January 2014 he made that statement.

The announcer says "we have learned this season, that is the key".......

These guys have way to much room to "judge".....its a joke, they cant even be consistent within a year of the two plays....

"Not enough evidence to over turn the play".....Ya think Dean??? Ya think?

I've heard grumbles and comments ..(from golden NFL boy Aaron Rodgers too), etc etc. That the rule has been in place for years. Implying that DEZ should have known that.

Who can make heads or tails out of anything their SAYING?? Out of anything that is being called on the field!!!!

Absolute JOKE!! Some body needs to be FIRED,.

The Natural

Reaction score
I'm not sure it really matters. In that instance, if the defender had not contacted him, he would not have fallen to the ground. But obviously Dez was going to the ground regardless of contact.

dez-bryant-catch-against-green-bay-replay.gif

There's certainly contact there on the legs. Whether it was enough to impede his progress I dont think anyone can say without a doubt.