Dear bland men, staunch Cowboy fans: bare your painful game moment

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Seattle muff was a spike of *hope* for me.

Once they lined up for a FG, I thought we were doomed. The Seahawks would throw straight at The Biscuit, march down the field , and kick the winning FG. They even had a great long range kicker.
We needed a TD to have a hope of winning. Would have gotten one too if Grammatica had managed more than a whiff on the guy who tackled Tony from behind.

I duuna know, esteemed lad, but to me Seattle doesn't quite have the dagger shock of Jackie dropping it, Clark catching it, Jethro being pushed away or time expiring on the 24 with Dak looking confused, mouth agape.
What you said about Automatica was interesting.

Again, I would not minimize your and many other fans' pain about Romo and Seattle, but thank you for sharing that snippet of painful memories.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Me good lad, I am NOT trying to minimize tha game and your angst, but there must be more to losing to the lowly Texans than I realized.
Dear @fivetwos and fans out there in the desolate prairies and urban cooktops o' Texas, hep me understand the significance of this game.
I will try to look it up on ruetube.
It had nothing to do with Texas.

It's was simply HUMILIATING to listen to Texans fans give me crap on the way out.

You don't lose to an expansion team in their first game EVER.

I posted this once before and got crap for it over it not being a big deal. Try being there in the moment and let me know. It was a mess.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Seattle muff was a spike of *hope* for me.

Once they lined up for a FG, I thought we were doomed. The Seahawks would throw straight at The Biscuit, march down the field , and kick the winning FG. They even had a great long range kicker.
We needed a TD to have a hope of winning. Would have gotten one too if Grammatica had managed more than a whiff on the guy who tackled Tony from behind.

I reviewed the video and you are correct.

On the muff in Seattle, had Automatica thrown his body into No. 27 and slowed the defender even 1/2 a step, Romo had clear sailing to the end zone!
That Gramatica weak move is sickening.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It had nothing to do with Texas.

It's was simply HUMILIATING to listen to Texans fans give me crap on the way out.

You don't lose to an expansion team in their first game EVER.

I posted this once before and got crap for it over it not being a big deal. Try being there in the moment and let me know. It was a mess.

I feel your pain.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I duuna know, esteemed lad, but to me Seattle doesn't quite have the dagger shock of Jackie dropping it, Clark catching it, Jethro being pushed away or time expiring on the 24 with Dak looking confused, mouth agape.
What you said about Automatica was interesting.

Again, I would not minimize your and many other fans' pain about Romo and Seattle, but thank you for sharing that snippet of painful memories.

We got a failure to communicate. I don't really bemoan Seattle.

Seattle was not a horrible one for me. We were up and coming, but not a team I expected to do much yet. Grammatica did blow it, but there's always somebody, or somebodies, who screw up when you lose. When it's a bit player doing bit things, meh. He is a fg kicker after all. He just confirmed he's not a real football player.

How about blaming the defense for failing to hold with the ball left on the 2 yard line? Get the ball back to the offense, and it's 20 yards of offense until the winning fg. I think we gave up a 10 yard run instead. That's a real failure.

Or Witten failing to break a tackle?

A QB failing to hold a snap of a mysteriously shiny ball that causes the league to institute new rules about rotating and inspecting balls? Meh. Grammatica whiffs? Meh.

Guys failing in their core function? That hurts. Jackie Smith drop? Probably the worst the biggest heartbreaker on the merits. Giving it to the Steelers in the Big Game. Sad. But I'm sticking with The Immaculate Reception as my personal 70s heart breaker, as I was more of a Raiders fan back then.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
recently?

calling a timeout vs AZ to freeze our kicker

ill accecpt bad play, mistakes, mental lapses

i wont tolerate a buffonary call

Just curious, stout chap, how would you rate the Dak run with 14 seconds remaining and giving the ball to his center and not the ump?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yes, dear fans, this question is cyclical but it needs an update.

Why? Two words:
Romo. Dak.

There are the highs of the aftermath of 5 Super Bowls. But our haul could have been 8 Super Bowls if boneheaded and unfortunate plays had not occurred.

Me painful moment through the ages?

It remains Jackie Smith dropping tha ball in tha end zone in Super Bowl XIII Jan. 1979.
Crushed I was. Had I been old enough I would have gotten drunk with me mum.
YC4U7Z264DULROYS634JZHRFQQ.jpg

In recent history, good lads all, there was the Romo extra point muff and the agonizing Dak run to football ridicule in the last seconds for not sharing the ball with the ump.

So, me fellow furry friends of fierce fandom, what are your painful memories of Cowboy Lore?
What bad memory would you care toshare/ unload as you look ahead?
Holla
I hate this pic as much as I hate the Dwight Clark pic.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Don't care - I still despise him as much as I did at that moment.

Interesting. Tha is a lot o' angst to carry all these years, mate.
Then let us look forward to the post-Dak years when we take the next step in the playoffs!

Flamma

Reaction score
1994 Deion Sanders missed interference call on Michael Irvin in the end zone. I will go to my grave believing we win 4 consecutive Super Bowls if the refs don’t miss that call.

Remind me again what the situation was at the time. I was so seething with rage right from the get go that I didn't see clearly. I am no longer that person. But that game is an absolute blur to me. I remember very little of it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Remind me again what the situation was at the time. I was so seething with rage right from the get go that I didn't see clearly. I am no longer that person. But that game is an absolute blur to me. I remember very little of it.
I was at a SoCal bar watching tha game surrounded by 49er-garbed punks. That was one terrible day.
Me rage was assuaged, for the moment, by possible violence from the unruly mob.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, dear fans, this question is cyclical but it needs an update.

Why? Two words:
Romo. Dak.

There are the highs of the aftermath of 5 Super Bowls. But our haul could have been 8 Super Bowls if boneheaded and unfortunate plays had not occurred.

Me painful moment through the ages?

It remains Jackie Smith dropping tha ball in tha end zone in Super Bowl XIII Jan. 1979.
Crushed I was. Had I been old enough I would have gotten drunk with me mum.
YC4U7Z264DULROYS634JZHRFQQ.jpg

In recent history, good lads all, there was the Romo extra point muff and the agonizing Dak run to football ridicule in the last seconds for not sharing the ball with the ump.

So, me fellow furry friends of fierce fandom, what are your painful memories of Cowboy Lore?
What bad memory would you care toshare/ unload as you look ahead?
Holla
That’s the one that hurt the most for me

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Cowboys were coming off back to back SB wins and met the 49ers in the NFC Championship game. Terrible turnover filled first quarter and the Cowboys were down 21-0 before the game even got going. They scratched and clawed all game long against a very good 49ers team and got within 11 with about 6 minutes to go. Aikman hit a streaking Irvin down the left side for about a would be 40 yard touchdown to bring the Cowboys within 4 with 6 minutes to go. All momentum was with the Cowboys the entire 2nd half. HOWEVER, Deion Sanders clearly beat and trailing Michael Irvin on the play, a moment before the ball arrived, reached out and grabbed Irvin’s right arm, pulling it down and preventing the catch. It was clearly pass interference that was not called. The Cowboys ended up losing the game, but won the SB the following year completing the 3 of 4 Dynasty. To this day, Aikman states that even though they lost, this was the game that he was most proud of because after a terrible start, they fought to the end…..and I will take this game to my grave…..

EGTuna

Reaction score
1. The Catch
2. The following year losing to the skins in the NFC Championship Game when White was knocked out of the game (living in the dmv made it worse)
3. Regular season 44-0 losss to the Bears in 85, and knowing it might be over for the Danny White Era (my favorite player as a kid). They started out great in 86, then White broke his weist and that was that.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Danny White breaking his wrist in the Meadowlands… We were equipped to win the NFC until that happened, then we crashed and burned.

Flamma

Reaction score
Danny White breaking his wrist in the Meadowlands… We were equipped to win the NFC until that happened, then we crashed and burned.

Was that the 17-14 loss? The one thing I remember most about that game was at the end. When Dallas kept getting big plays called back on false starts you could barely notice. Plays that got us into the red zone. We should have won that game.

The '86 Giants hadn't peaked yet, the Cowboys had at the time. That Giants team got way better by season's end.