Dear Cowboys fans: Talent alone will never overcome dysfunction

Swanny

Reaction score
My friends- my fellow suffering Cowboys fans- Here’s some truth we all need to accept right now: All the talent in the pro football world is not enough to overcome this dysfunctional, putrid, non-accountable culture.

Let us count the ways:
  • For those of you hoping for the #1 pick next year, aka the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. Sorry, but that won’t fix fix this mess.
  • We could acquire Pat Mahomes tonight, and it wouldn’t fix this mess.
  • We could add All Pro talent at every position, on both sides of the ball, and it won’t fix this mess.
  • We could draft the best pass rusher and run stuffer in the draft next year. It’s not enough to fix this.
  • We could trade the entire defending champion KC chiefs roster for this roster of quitters, and it wouldn’t make us much better.
Accept it- this mess, this stink is a 25 year rotten egg that is the responsibility and result of the 78 year old fool that still believes if you buy an NFL team, you are qualified to run that team’s football operations. Well, the truth is, our owner can’t. And his stubborn arrogance is the real culprit here.

Here is the cancer that eats this organization:
  • No accountability. If the guy playing GM never, ever has to pay a price for his mistakes, then there is truly no accountability anywhere else. That’s organizational health 101. If you don’t hold the people at the top accountable, you can’t anywhere else.
  • Because the front office is “soft”, so is its team.
  • What this team needs is a HC that has an “asthma field” again.
  • Truth bomb- there is no recovery with a guy named Jones leading football operations. Period. It’s over. They have crapped the bed for too long.
  • Hate to say it, but if there is no humilty shown by Jerry to take any responsibility to change his ways, all the talent in the world won’t matter.
Those 90's teams were the definition of dysfunction and won 3 super bowls. And if you want to say there was no dysfunction with Jimmy J fine I am fine with you thinking that. But under Barry Switzer this team was the definition of dysfunction and won a Superbowl with TALENT.

ArtClink

Reaction score
For those saying “That will never happen- Jerry will never step aside”- it already has happened at the beginning of the Jones era. That’s actually how things started with Jerry. He hired a great HC and was not calling all the shots like he’s been doing since. It’s the only hope.
BTW, Jimmy was smart enough AND knew the fuhrer well enough to have in his contract that he had the LAST WORD in all football decisions, so Jimmy was really our GM too. Jerry has never won without leveraging the talent and team that Jimmy built.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What get me about Jaylon is he reminds me of a very passive guy on and off the field. His play supports this. He seems to be all about his side ventures,projects, PLATFORMS and football is low man on the totem pole. Whats worse, he doesn't get pissed off after a bad play...in fact, he's be bopping around and laughing like he won on that play. DUDE IS RIDICULOUS. Needs traded or benched.He thinks he will never be benched and told the truth.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the Dave Campo team that went 5-11 for 3 straight years. The only way out of this mess is for Jerry to step back and let a Belechek or Pete Carrol come in here and clean house/ rebuild.

But I already suspect what Jerry is thinking. Its too predictable. He will blame this on injuries. He will point to the decimation on the OL and Daks injury. Get ready for a reboot of the 2020 team in 2021.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those 90's teams were the definition of dysfunction and won 3 super bowls. And if you want to say there was no dysfunction with Jimmy J fine I am fine with you thinking that. But under Barry Switzer this team was the definition of dysfunction and won a Superbowl with TALENT.
The only time in Jerry’s “Reign of Error” that his team has ever been the best in the league was when he allowed a top notch coach to rule the locker room and the draft process. If you want to call HOF HC Jimmy Johnson “dysfunctional”, I say give me more of that dysfunction and zero of the 25 year dysfunction we have suffered through since.

ArtClink

Reaction score
No, the 90s teams had off the field issues but everyone answered to Jimmy who had the power to hire and fire. Jimmy had absolute control over every facet of football operations and had the last word in all football matters and had that in his contract. The 90s teams have no resemblance whatsoever to the past 25 years of Jerry running things under the haze of call girls and JW Blue. Hazey speaks of organizational dysfunction, not players who have drug issues and off the field issue - Huge difference. The foundation of everything that is done in Dallas is built on the dysfunction of the Jones boys model and the results speak for themselves.

Rayman70

Reaction score
lastly...here is the main issue. WE SUCK TALENTWISE ON DEFENSE. We been way overvalued. I cannot think of 1 guy I wanna keep on defense. MAYBE LVE...MAYBE Donny Wilson...MAYBE Gallimore and Hamilton. MAYBE ANAE. With Anae, I can assure you that guy is better than Griffin. Why he isnt starting is puzzling. Wilson has flashed and has potential.Gallimore is still learning how to play the dt position as this level. Hamilton should be startng. He is a big ole strong fatty. Tyrone Crawford needs gone. HE IS TRASH.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My friends- my fellow suffering Cowboys fans- Here’s some truth we all need to accept right now: All the talent in the pro football world is not enough to overcome this dysfunctional, putrid, non-accountable culture.

Let us count the ways:
  • For those of you hoping for the #1 pick next year, aka the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. Sorry, but that won’t fix fix this mess.
  • We could add All Pro talent at every position, on both sides of the ball, and it won’t fix this mess.
  • We could draft the best pass rusher and run stuffer in the draft next year. It’s not enough to fix this.
  • We could trade the entire defending champion KC chiefs roster for this roster of quitters, and it wouldn’t make us much better.
Accept it- this mess, this stink is a 25 year rotten egg that is the responsibility and result of the 78 year old fool that still believes if you buy an NFL team, you are qualified to run that team’s football operations. Well, the truth is, our owner can’t. And his stubborn arrogance is the real culprit here.

• No accountability. If the guy playing GM never, ever has to pay a price for his mistakes, then there is truly no accountability anywhere else. That’s organizational health 101. If you don’t hold the people at the top accountable, you can’t anywhere else.
  • Truth bomb- there is no recovery with a guy named Jones leading football operations. Period. It’s over. They have crapped the bed for too long.
  • Hate to say it, but if there is no humilty shown by Jerry to take any responsibility to change his ways, all the talent in the world won’t matter.
so you are saying that trotting out our 3rd string OL has zero to do with the losses? are you serious its the largest problem we have and you are correct even if Dak didnt get hurt no one can coach or play with all the injuries' we have. Blaming jerry or somehow 30 years of dysfunction is ignorant to whats going on this season. who cares about last year, last 24 years, or preseason..

right now we have no way to utilize our offensive talent with no OL..no time to throw, no holes to run through, teams only need 3-4 Dl to pass rush and cause havoc..

take that add no Dak, and bad defense also some injuries' have to do with it as well and this season failed more so because of a grocery list of injuries'..

at new staff no offseason to get it implemented and some players just dont have Talent..

sure Mahomes couldn't play with this but its the Ol not all that short story stuff you like to write weekly..

very easy to see what the immediate right now issues are and art with the injuries to the Ol, Dak , and a defense that just never came together..

ArtClink

Reaction score
so you are saying that trotting out our 3rd string OL has zero to do with the losses? are you serious its the largest problem we have and you are correct even if Dak didnt get hurt no one can coach or play with all the injuries' we have. Blaming jerry or somehow 30 years of dysfunction is ignorant to whats going on this season. who cares about last year, last 24 years, or preseason..

right now we have no way to utilize our offensive talent with no OL..no time to throw, no holes to run through, teams only need 3-4 Dl to pass rush and cause havoc..

take that add no Dak, and bad defense also some injuries' have to do with it as well and this season failed more so because of a grocery list of injuries'..

at new staff no offseason to get it implemented and some players just dont have Talent..

sure Mahomes couldn't play with this but its the Ol not all that short story stuff you like to write weekly..

very easy to see what the immediate right now issues are and art with the injuries to the Ol, Dak , and a defense that just never came together..

So are you saying you are happy with the past 25 seasons (zero div playoff wins, zero NFC Championship appearances)? Yes we had injuries but pull the plane up 10,000 feet and you might see the same view Hazey is referencing.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wrong. Jerry didn't take over player personnel control until Jimmy left. That Switzer team that won was basically the team Jimmy built with the core player leadership in tact. Jerry added Dieon Sanders.....life was easier with no cap.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m saying that the fundamental problem with the Cowboys starts at the very top.it’s the biggest problem we have. Until that is fixed, all the other issues are secondary.

And I promise you are preaching exactly what Jerry will be preaching very soon- “The injuries are the reason we’re losing”. Sure they’ve played a role, but this team hasn’t done squat even when everyone was healthy. This is a soft, excuse laden culture. And it shows.

There’s no excuse for quitting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Let us count the ways:

Where is the talent you are talking about?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For those saying “That will never happen- Jerry will never step aside”- it already has happened at the beginning of the Jones era. That’s actually how things started with Jerry. He hired a great HC and was not calling all the shots like he’s been doing since. It’s the only hope.
Yea, but the Cowboys were losing money and needed instant credibility and success.

And as soon as the success came and Jerry wasn’t recognized as the face of the franchise a change was made.

I’m sorry Cowboy fans . The change we all want isn’t coming without fans putting the financial pressure or threat on Jethro.

We are totally talent dependent like we’ve seen throughout this era which produced some fairly competitive teams which probably is as much as we can hope for.

Shane612

Reaction score
Do they even have NFL talent?
I've always said these players are overrated.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Give your "star" player(s) inflated contract, and they become fat and lazy.

Zeke was fat and lazy before he got a contract. Jaylon sucks. Lawrence?...............I honestly didnt see that coming, but he needs to go.

slick325

Reaction score
Organizational culture matters. A country club atmosphere where every player acts as if THEY have won the 5 SBs the franchise holds or they have accomplished historic or HOF feats...will never work.

Last edited:

bigE79

Reaction score

Let us count the ways:

The only way anything will change is if the jones family sells the team and I don't believe that'll ever happen. And those of us in the 50+ age bracket will probably never see another sb again.