Dear Stephen Jones, Free agency works

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
2018 Free agency signings. The only disappointment was Thompson. He just plain out sucked. Martin got injured early so the jury is still out. The rest made solid contributions. I like the way Stephen approaches free agency. They are always overpriced and you end up regretting it in the long run. The Rams may win a championship but they have not money to sign Goff and keep their young guns.

Jamize Olawale, FB

Joe Thomas, LB

Deonte Thompson, WR

Allen Hurns, WR\

Cameron Fleming, OT

Marcus Martin, OG

ICP

Reaction score
Stephen Isn't listening, he's busy shopping in the free agent bargain bin. In fact I think he just heard about a blue light special so he's totally focused

Reactions: BAT

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Free agency works.

SEE: The Rams

Thanks, a Cowboy fan tired of not contending for championships.

P.S. Maybe don't schedule the Jones' familia's vacation in March this year. The Bahamas will still be there in May.
So since you have no faith in the Cowboys at least for this year, please spare us your misery and get the hell out of here.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
It’s should be about 80-85% draft and 15-20% free agency
Don’t ask me where I came up with those numbers cause I just totally made them up in the fly but they kinda look good

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
So since you have no faith in the Cowboys at least for this year, please spare us your misery and get the hell out of here.
No.

You leave. The Cowboys already have paid employees who cheer no matter what the score.
DCCPMGPage2.jpg

or maybe you don't tell other fans how or when to root for their team.

Reactions: BAT

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I'm guessing since Stephen has already said we're not too interested in FA, it'll be bargain bin players as usual. No reason to think Jerry is any more serious about winning than any other season.
I get the FA chatter, BUT look at what NE does year in and out with the same type players we consider bin players. What is SO different in NE that a team who hasn't had a low # 1 draft pick in forever, can take bin players and turn them into not just contenders, but SB runs, year in and out. I think we ALL know the answer to this one.,...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I get the FA chatter, BUT look at what NE does year in and out with the same type players we consider bin players. What is SO different in NE that a team who hasn't had a low # 1 draft pick in forever, can take bin players and turn them into not just contenders, but SB runs, year in and out. I think we ALL know the answer to this one.,...

The Patriots also go after and sign marquee free agents when and if it improves the team.

On March 9, 2017, the New England Patriots signed Gilmore to a five-year, $65 million contract that includes $31 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $18 million

Gilmore was the premier free agent cornerback that off-season.

Bill Belichick doesn't box himself into singular, close-minded strategies. He just finds ways to improve the roster.

And yes, there is a distinct difference in coaching.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free agency works.

P.S. Maybe don't schedule the Jones' familia's vacation in March this year. The Bahamas will still be there in May.

Most of the Rams changes were from trades. Both trading for players and trading away players.

Talent acquisition (players) has NOT been the Cowboys problems the past few years.

The difference between the Rams and the Cowboys in 2018 was coaching, not players.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Isn't listening, he's busy shopping in the free agent bargain bin. In fact I think he just heard about a blue light special so he's totally focused

You give him way too much credit. Stephen is actually waiting for McLay to tell him what to do.

Reactions: ICP

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Rams signed one outside free agent of note: Suh

They traded a bucket of beans for Talib who is a Dallasite that is sure-fire crazy.
And a bit more for Marcus Peters who is a dumpster fire of a human being.

The Rams went all in on winning for sure but will eat a lot of cap space in the process.
Maybe it all works swimmingly but it will be interesting to see the Rams THIS OFF-SEASON.

dfense

Reaction score
Exactly. The Rams were a playoff team last year and didn’t sit on their hands in the off season. They went for it. Dallas has the cap space to sign some free agents and their own. Let’s see how committed the Jones’s are to winning this off season. Talk is cheap
Well, I dont think you can invest in poor officiating.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, again if fans hate the way this org is run they are simply not paying attention.
This was the youngest playoff winning team.

It is built the right way.

They needed a WR and went and got one.
But this wasn't a championship roster and it wasn't a championship staff.
Would I have wanted to pay Suh 14M for the improvement at NT? Probably not.
Woods was good and was 13.5M less.

Had they shelled out a 2nd plus big money for Earl Thomas we'd all be killing the front office right now.

DAL is in a different position now having advance in the playoffs.
More guys with experience and perhaps time to be more aggressive now.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Free agency works.

Don’t forget the Broncos!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
2018 Free agency signings. The only disappointment was Thompson. He just plain out sucked. Martin got injured early so the jury is still out. The rest made solid contributions. I like the way Stephen approaches free agency. They are always overpriced and you end up regretting it in the long run. The Rams may win a championship but they have not money to sign Goff and keep their young guns.

Jamize Olawale, FB

Joe Thomas, LB

Deonte Thompson, WR

Allen Hurns, WR\

Cameron Fleming, OT

Marcus Martin, OG

None of those guys were impact players, and I'll guarantee the Rams will be able to pay Goff. They already extended Cooks.

Now get off this site and get to work, Stephen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
FA only works if you do it wisely and even then, there is no guarantee. Let me just remind everybody here, we went down this path in the late 90s. We spent the better part of a Decade and more, getting ourselves out of that situation. Remember years of Quincy Carter's and Chad Hutchenson's and Ryan Leafs and Clint Stoerner's. Remember Barry Switzer and Chan Gailey and poor, poor Dave Campo.

Advocating the course that the Rams have taken might or might not be wise. Remember, the Rams are pretty much a win this year or go home type team. They are built to win now. In a year or two, this team will be cutting salaries to get under the cap big time. They will be starting over, so to speak. And they have won nothing as yet. They may have spent all that money to be the Super Bowl loser.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Well, I dont think you can invest in poor officiating.

I guess you have to get to an NFC championship game to see what happens right? Sitting at home doesn’t put you in a situation to get break like they did.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don’t forget the Broncos!
Broncos are a cautionary tale not really an example you want to use.

They spent 6 years under 10 wins to build up a young, talented team.
Went all out to win and reduced that team to 4 winning seasons before returning to below .500 football.
Now they've won 20 games in 3 years and are on a 4th coach in 6 seasons.
They have no direction at all.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
None of those guys were impact players, and I'll guarantee the Rams will be able to pay Goff. They already extended Cooks.

Now get off this site and get to work, Stephen.
Goff will absolutely be signed.

But look at all these guys they gotta figure out:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/los-angeles-rams/

Rams are in a tough way versus the cap w 6 starters hitting FA and the need to pay Goff 30m per.

Code:
Ndamukong Suh     DT     32     LA     TBD     $14,000,000     UFA     Market Value
LaMarcus Joyner     FS     28     LA     TBD     $11,287,000     UFA     Market Value
Rodger Saffold     G     31     LA     TBD     $6,269,447     UFA     -
Dante Fowler Jr.     DE     25     LA     TBD     $5,872,563     UFA     -
Dominique Easley     DT     26     LA     TBD     $1,850,000     UFA     -
Matt Longacre     OLB     27     LA     TBD     $1,698,438     UFA     -
Ethan Westbrooks     DE     28     LA     TBD     $1,500,000     UFA     -
Sam Shields     CB     31     LA     TBD     $1,004,999     UFA     -
Sean Mannion     QB     27     LA     TBD     $812,724     UFA     -
C.J. Anderson     RB     28     LA     TBD     $790,000     UFA     -
Ramik Wilson     ILB     27     LA     TBD     $750,000     UFA     -
Troy Hill     CB     28     LA     TBD     $705,000     UFA     -
Malcolm Brown     RB     26     LA     TBD     $630,000     RFA     -
Bryce Hager     ILB     27     LA     TBD     $588,035     UFA     -