Dear Stephen Jones, Free agency works

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
None of those guys were impact players, and I'll guarantee the Rams will be able to pay Goff. They already extended Cooks.

Now get off this site and get to work, Stephen.
Duh. Where have you been? The Cowboys for the last few years aren’t big FA spenders. They use it for depth only. Wake up.

Sydla

Reaction score
Duh. Where have you been? The Cowboys for the last few years aren’t big FA spenders. They use it for depth only. Wake up.

Maybe they should tweak that a bit then and try to bring in a starter at a key spot and then use the draft for other needs?

Almost all SB champions in recent times have used FA better than we have.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Free agency works.

SEE: The Rams

Thanks, a Cowboy fan tired of not contending for championships.

P.S. Maybe don't schedule the Jones' familia's vacation in March this year. The Bahamas will still be there in May.

100% agree. No one is saying break the bank, but fill some needs with solid vets. All these names come to mind, pick a few:

Tyler Davidson
Gerald McCoy (fingers crossed)
KJ Wright
Marcus Gilchrist
Jared Cook
Pierre Desir
Golden Tate

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how many times Stephen has to say this but let me say it for him here. We don't have to use FA because we draft so well. Other teams do because they're not run with such expertise.

What other front office can boast about rendering free agency irrelevant? Only this one.

And if that doesn't make you want to scream Go Cowboys! then you're dead inside.

Wood

Reaction score
Free agency works.

SEE: The Rams

Thanks, a Cowboy fan tired of not contending for championships.

P.S. Maybe don't schedule the Jones' familia's vacation in March this year. The Bahamas will still be there in May.

This bring up much bigger philosophical question. Dallas has punted on FA because they just are not very good at it. But I have never felt quitting is the correct response, rather I would seek out people out who are good at it. The Jones are so caught up in bring in people who make them feel comfortable that they miss out on those who could actually make FA an opportunity to fill in gaps where the draft has failed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chiefs spent big on free agency.

We'll have to see if they win the SB.

Birdgang

Reaction score
you need to find a balance .... because its impossible to just to through the draft . ITs great having one of the youngest teams .... but with age comes experience. Experience can be passed on to the younger guys .... keep them in check as well. Also what good is building through draft all the time when so many players get lost in FA once done rookie contract .... You have to replace the guys you had and basically start over .

You dont need to bring in the best , but make sure its not worst either. It allows you to fill a hole for a season or two until you draft right person. 50 million does not go far as some think. Dallas has a ton of FAs as well as key players to get paid. Dak , Zeke , Amari all want to get paid hell that could be almost 50 right there. Then you have Irvin , Drew and a couple others. You need to leave some for the draft picks , then the guys you say Screw it we dont need him ... they need to be replaced. Its scary to think how much better Dallas could of been this year if the 30 million dead cap was put to a couple players or even a bunch of average guys for depth. Remember how much of an advantage people said Dak was because he was cheap? Well that's pretty much gone now , and window missed ... This was year to have that extra 30 mil

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Broncos are a cautionary tale not really an example you want to use.

They spent 6 years under 10 wins to build up a young, talented team.
Went all out to win and reduced that team to 4 winning seasons before returning to below .500 football.
Now they've won 20 games in 3 years and are on a 4th coach in 6 seasons.
They have no direction at all.
But they appears in two SB’s winning one.
After 23+ years of what we’ve been through, I’ll take that.