Death By Firing Squad...

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
I had no idea these things even happened as recent as 1996, let alone is about to happen again... Wow.

A long article so I won't post the entire thing here...

Link

Salt Lake City, Utah (CNN) -- The executioner says he was eager to join the firing squad. Not because he was familiar with the 1996 case, or felt the need to deliver justice for a raped and murdered little girl. It wasn't even because his high school classmate was raped and killed just before graduation. So why did he do it? Why choose to join four other men in executing a convicted murderer?

"How often does this come along?" he says, "... 100 percent justice."
It's been more than 14 years since guns were last fired in Utah's execution chamber. But later this month, they may sound again, reviving a debate about the death penalty and the methods used to carry it out.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
....before this turns into a political mess....

Hell yeah!

I think that's how I'd want to go out if I had a choice in execution.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Just read the portion posted in the thread, but I wonder if some of the men on the firing squad will be given fake bullets? I think I read that they do this, so no one on the firing squad ever truly knows who shot the fatal bullet.

Anywho, it is pretty shocking that these types of situations exist.

I would rather die by lethal injection if I had my choice.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
tomson75;3429027 said:
....before this turns into a political mess....

Hell yeah!

I think that's how I'd want to go out if I had a choice in execution.

Maikeru-sama;3429028 said:
Just read the portion posted in the thread, but I wonder if some of the men on the firing squad will be given fake bullets? I think I read that they do this, so no one on the firing squad ever truly knows who shot the fatal bullet.

:laugh2:

Interesting to see the two choices already considered (pondered I mean). Yeah, I'd rather die calmly too, but being on this side of the equation, I'd say a child rapist/killer deserves to be shot, which is who the subject of this is. {Edit: I'm wrong, this guy killed an attorney, the 96 one was a child killer}.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score

5 guys. 4 are given live rounds and they all fire at once.

I do have a big problem with this though. I just think its too easy of a death for these scumbags. I'd like to see it take a little longer myself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't believe that this can still happen. This guy must have been convicted prior to the changing of the Laws.

However, I do know that even when this Law was still on the books, the convicted person had the choice of how they wanted to be executed. This person must have chosen to be shot.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3429049 said:
I don't believe that this can still happen. This guy must have been convicted prior to the changing of the Laws.

However, I do know that even when this Law was still on the books, the convicted person had the choice of how they wanted to be executed. This person must have chosen to be shot.

From the article:
Utah was given permission to use the firing squad as a method of execution by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1879, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a non-profit organization. Although one other state -- Oklahoma -- currently allows firing squad as a secondary method of execution, it can be used only if lethal injection and electrocution are ruled unconstitutional.

Utah lawmakers outlawed the firing squad in 2004, but a handful of death-row inmates who had already chosen it as their execution method were grandfathered in after family members of murder victims begged the state Legislature not to open another door for appeals, lengthening what in many cases has become at least a 20-year wait for justice.
Texas has the firing squad too, it's just administered a little differently.

It's called "Castle Law".

;)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3429049 said:

In Utah you can choose how you wish to be executed. He chose to have a firing squad.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Being shot is one of the last options I would consider.

Actually, I don't know what is worse, the gas chamber or the firing squad.

It's kind of that danged if you do, danged if you don't kind of situations :laugh2: .

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3429060 said:
Being shot is one of the last options I would consider.

Actually, I don't know what is worse, the gas chamber or the firing squad.

I'll take being shot through the heart by 4 marksmen over inhaling a gas that essentialy suffocates you.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3429066 said:
I'll take being shot through the heart by 4 marksmen over inhaling a gas that essentialy suffocates you.

No doubt about it. They are getting off light by getting shot.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score

I would too, but they say that there is actually a euphoric feeling to suffocation/drowning. FWIW. Doesn't sound so bad.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score

Sign me up.

I might not take a heart shot if I were on that squad. It would be hard for me to hold over center mass when you know the whole time you would want to double-tap the sickos head. ;)

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
tomson75;3429077 said:
I would too, but they say that there is actually a euphoric feeling to suffocation/drowning. FWIW. Doesn't sound so bad.

I've come about as close to drowning as I'd ever want to experience, and it really wasn't that bad other than the lung-burn from holding my breath.

I vividly recall being lucid right up to the point of exhaling what little air there was left in my lungs and inhaling that 1st gulp of water as I went unconscious. I was pulled up about 10-15 seconds after that, and almost as soon as my head broke water, I went into that involuntary gasping mode.

I'm thinking a gas doing the same thing to your lungs, wouldn't be so painless.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;3429077 said:

I've never heard that.

I know your brain has no pain nerves in it so you don't feel much pain if shot in the head. I've heard it's a lot of pressure.

This thread is getting very morbid.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
What bodily organ does Gas attack if you are executed via Gas Chamber? Lungs, Heart?

Or does is it contain a type of poison that competes with oxygen in the bloodstream?

I still don't think I would choose to be shot. I would be too scared that they would miss the heart the first few times. To me, that is like someone beheading you and not getting it right on the first swing.

No thanks!!

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
if I had my choice.

My choice? 5 bikini models in a hot tub. First one to give me a heart attack wins.

CowboyWay;3429046 said:
I do have a big problem with this though. I just think its too easy of a death for these scumbags. I'd like to see it take a little longer myself.

Shoot him in the gut. Let him bleed out.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3429098 said:
This may be an odd question but what bodily organ does Gas attack if you are executed via Gas Chamber? Lungs, Heart?

Or does is it contain a type of poison that competes with oxygen in the bloodstream?

It probably shuts down your lungs and then your heart.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If they gave me the choice I would choose death by old age. :laugh2:

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Jon88;3429101 said:
It probably shuts down your lungs and then your heart.

Probably attacks the nervous system blocking the brain's ability to send signals to the heart and lungs.

Pine Sol supposedly is what the gas chamber smells like. The movie Training Day mentioned it, but couldn't use "PineSol" in the dialogue for obvious marketing objections by SC Johnson Wax. "Pine Oil Heaven" is what Denzel calls it.