Debate: Who are the top 3 defensive players of all time

tyke1doe

Reaction score
LT
Reggie White

Just imagine the two could have been on the Giants, but for some reason, the Giants didn't want Reggie. Can't remember the full story, but Parcells told it on one of those tribute football programs.

After those two I'd put in the third place one of these
Deion Sanders
Dick Butkus
Deacon Jones
Mean Joe Green
Aaron Donald
Ronnie Lott

Mannix

Reaction score
No Top 3 Defensive player of all time should have been owned by anyone. I still remember Michael OWNING Deion in a game in Atlanta....Deion was throwing a tantrum on the sideline and tipped a bench over....and yes, Reggie got OWNED by Erik Williams. Sorry, these two don't make it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Both were outstanding and should be considered. Also Mel Blount.

I think I mentioned before I had a coach who played for Baltimore. He said Lambert was the greatest LB he ever saw and he didn't weigh 200 lbs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I mentioned before I had a coach who played for Baltimore. He said Lambert was the greatest LB he ever saw and he didn't weigh 200 lbs.
My 93 yr old father in law was once the sports information director at Kent State University in Ohio back in the early 70s. He knew Jack Lambert when he played at Kent and he said Lambert was a teddy bear until he put on the pads. Then he became a wild man. He also knew a very small backup safety at Kent that went on to be famous as a coach- his name is Nick Saban.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I can't argue LT or Deion. I wouldn't put Reggie in the top 3 personally.

Been a lot of great players, hard to say who I would put as the third. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy P, Darren Woodson, Darrell Green, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, Deacon Jones, Joe Greene, etc,.

I would probably go with Ray. He was an absolute terror.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Reggie White
Lawrence Taylor
3a - Deion 3b Ray Lewis

That said, Deacon Jones might have been better that Reggie, I just haven't seen enough of his film to truly know.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Yeah I was going to mention what Big E did to Reggie White too.. but he was seemingly a more dominant and well rounded player than Smith .. He just had the misfortune of being drafted into the same division as The Great Wall and then when he became a free agent he didn't have the good sense to go to an AFC team so that he would not see them until the Super Bowl.

Big E was Reggie's Kriptanite along with Larry Allen. That said, Reggie White was 30 years when Erik Williams was drafted and 32/33 when he started to look bad vs Erik / Larry.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I got to go with my ex girlfriend. She was so defensive about everything you couldn't even talk to her. She belongs in some kind of hall of fame for defensiveness.

LOL. I had one who was so passive aggressive that sometimes it was the next day before I realized she was upset. :lmao2:

perrykemp

Reaction score
No Top 3 Defensive player of all time should have been owned by anyone. I still remember Michael OWNING Deion in a game in Atlanta....Deion was throwing a tantrum on the sideline and tipped a bench over....and yes, Reggie got OWNED by Erik Williams. Sorry, these two don't make it.

Reggie was already in his 30s when Erik Williams came around. I give him a pass.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment of your post but LT prayed the QB would hold the ball :lmao: Cause he was looking to kill him.
They didnt NOT pass at all because LT was rushing. They still tried it.

Teams didn't throw to one entire side of the field because Sanders was there. Only the great of the great had a remote shot against him.

Sanders was a legit scoring threat on defense. I've never seen anyone else as that.

LT was never an effective offensive player or best punt returner of all time.

Feel like I'm disrespecting LT which is ridiculous lol, but it's not that.....hey I ranked LT #2.

For me, Sanders did things that I've never seen from anyone else, or even close. Reggie is close to LT as a comparison.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah I was going to mention what Big E did to Reggie White too.. but he was seemingly a more dominant and well rounded player than Smith .. He just had the misfortune of being drafted into the same division as The Great Wall and then when he became a free agent he didn't have the good sense to go to an AFC team so that he would not see them until the Super Bowl.

that’s more a testimony to the greatness of Big E though. That guy was headed toward being arguably the greatest and most dominant OL to play the game. People talk about Larry Allen, but big E before the injury was arguably the best OL in football when he was on the field.

Also, Larry Allen never played with a prime Big E. Another what could have been. A health K Smith with Deion on defense, Allen and Williams on OL…