Debate: Who are the top 3 defensive players of all time

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Tough one but I'm going with,
  • LT
  • Deion
  • Late Reggie White
As good as Donald is, he's not even top 10 IMO

My list is same as yours. IM not sure there is any debate that LT is the greatest pass rushing disrupting LB ever play the game. Reggie was so big, strong and fast on the end....I cant think of anyone Id rather have at that position. I think it is also universally accepted that Deion is the greatest corner to ever play. Not only did he shut down his side of the field, when he picked it, he was always a threat to take it the other way.

Is there any defensive player with more TDs than Prime? Granted, he did score on punts and offense.

quickccc

Reaction score
* Lawrence Taylor - Clubs were forced to go more 2 TE offenses, to double team and chip help. to have a better chance to deal with LT.

* Deion Sanders was not only the premiere shutdown coverage CB, but he was also a threat to go the distance for a TD, because he was so
incredibly adept in baiting the QB into thinking his WR was open than what he was, ..boom INT, headed the other way for a TD

- Unfortunately Philly and GB did not move White around and he basically was Left DE most of his life, hard for me to distinquish White vs Strahan,
or an Aaron Donald vs Warren Sapp, and then what about guys like JT Watt,.. Randy White ..and Bob Lilly was just way too much before my time, and i like
commenting and ranking guys i've seen play

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Erik beat Reggie so bad they had to change the rules to not allow that hand on Reggies head play after play....lol

Really one of the most dominating games I have seen. Eric Williams on that night pounded Reggie and white was losing his temper and Eric just kept pounding on him.

Mannix

Reaction score
I can't argue LT or Deion. I wouldn't put Reggie in the top 3 personally.
Been a lot of great players, hard to say who I would put as the third. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy P, Darren Woodson, Darrell Green, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, Deacon Jones, Joe Greene, etc,.
I would probably go with Ray. He was an absolute terror.

In a limo. :muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Of guys I actually saw play:
LT
AD
Reggie White

Those guys wrecked game plans and were unavoidable.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Let's say you have LT as #1.

There are others that are reasonably similar players, like White.

Who is the second best corner ever, and how much less of a player is that guy than Sanders? Quite a bit. I can't even think of who it might be.

Thats why Prime takes #1.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Who is the second best corner ever, and how much less of a player is that guy than Sanders? Quite a bit. I can't even think of who it might be.

Herb Adderley maybe? Rod Woodson was great, but he spent a good bit of his career at safety. Same for Charles Woodson as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Herb Adderley maybe? Rod Woodson was great, but he spent a good bit of his career at safety. Same for Charles Woodson as well.
Never saw Adderley but nice call on Rod.

He is probably #2 behind Sanders. From the players I've seen anyway. Think of how much more of a threat Sanders was than him. Much bigger gap than say LT vs Reggie.

I mean, im splitting hairs here. They are all way above great....but thats the difference for me when it comes to Sanders....the gap between him and anyone else.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
these lists are possible to agree pon they are too short for a league been around since 1960..

i say needs to eb top 3 AT EACH position. Much easier than top 3 all time..far too many ties IMO..

that makes about a top 20, far better to compile can fit many great players from each position.