Deep Dive into the Dallas Cowboys 2020 Salary Cap

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Dallas is still the favorite in the nfce , but if we start losing our talent just to pay the QB, its gonna get difficult real fast .

Our QB says he was under-payed and wants a bunch of this cap now .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That article is from this past season. It details how it had popped up during the off-season and finally required surgery. That doesn't fit your narrative but it does of mine given that was all last year.

And you're going to try to lie to me and eveeuone else and leave out how it clearly mention it happening the year before?

What's sad is I have already pointed this out to you before. You had no refutation then yet here you are spewing the same falsehoods. You narrative e of Crawford's hip being a chronic time bomb are baseless and you should stop it like you should stop call signing bonus operations dead money.

What's truly sad is your attempt to ignore the fact that you've been proven clearly wrong. Once again.

Crawford injured the hip in 2018. Aggravated it and missed most of the offseason work leading up to last season. And this team did nothing given the warning signs. Are you seriously going to continue to try to lie about that?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And get locked in even further witha guy who didn't come close to earning his keep in year one of that deal? No thanks. I'm already looking at the 'out year' on the Lawrence deal, not looking to get locked in even deeper.

Do you forget that's how we ended up wasting tens of millions of dollars with Crawford?

And all of these offensive linemen have now become questionable bets. Smith and Martin with back and various other injuries, and Ferederick with the unknown of his Guillain-Barre.

I'm not comfortable reworking any of their contracts and getting further locked in with a team that ultimately went 8-8 last year.

Actions like that are based on being comfortable with players you know and fear of change. And they've never worked out in the past.

I'm encouraged about Tyron's improved health last year, but he's 29 with recurring back problems. Martin is 29 too. Frederick 28. They all have health issues now.

It's sad to think it, but even without the health issues, by age alone you don't want to extend them. GB took two years out of what should have been Frederick's prime. He may still peak, but he'll join Martin and Frederick on their glide paths to retirement soon enough. They may all play well a lot more years, but improvements will be from getting healthy, not fundamentally better.

Lawrence, Zeke, and Jaylon are all young enough but underperforming. I wouldn't extend any of them.

Jaylon in particular looks like a disaster. If you haven't seen him get stonewalled by a heavy bag at the Pro Bowl, you missed seeing a guy who's left leg just can't push. And his contract is guaranteed *for injury* through *2022*, while he looks plenty injured to me right now.

The guys we could push money out on - Collins.

Cooper and Dak will get minimum contracts for 2020 and huge signing bonuses. They're young enough and healthy enough to do it with. They're the big contract coming, but we don't really need to make space for them out of the current contracts. They're the guys we'll be carrying lots of new dead cap on.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if we start losing our talent just to pay the QB, its gonna get difficult real fast
Oh good grief.

Did you read the article?

Even with four players heading to free agency deserving of big-time contracts in Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper, Byron Jones, and Robert Quinn, the Dallas Cowboys are in the best shape they’ve been in with the salary cap in as long as I can remember. Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and Will McClay have done an excellent job setting the Cowboys up to have enough space to sign their guys and still be players in free agency if they choose to do so.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And you're going to try to lie to me and eveeuone else and leave out how it clearly mention it happening the year before?

What's truly sad is your attempt to ignore the fact that you've been proven clearly wrong. Once again.

Crawford injured the hip in 2018. Aggravated it and missed most of the offseason work leading up to last season. And this team did nothing given the warning signs. Are you seriously going to continue to try to lie about that?

It cropped up in 2018. They elected to keep him out of the training program trying to use rest to allow the inflammation to go away. It didn't. They went the surgical route last season.

There is no setback there. There is no indication that it is a chronic issue. They simply tried the less invasive route first.

You have no idea what bursitis is. That is obvious from your narrative.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It cropped up in 2018. They elected to keep him out of the training program trying to use rest to allow the inflammation to go away. It didn't. They went the surgical route last season.

There is no setback there. There is no indication that it is a chronic issue.

You have no idea what bursitis is. That is obvious from your narrative.

Unlike you, and the rest of the Cowboys dummies, I knew enough to know it was time to move on. I knew the risk wasn't worth keeping him under his current contract. I was right, and you - and they - were wrong.

You go ahead and continue to make your lame excuses for keeping that turd and wasting $10 million. Keep embarrassing yourself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to laugh at your meltdown when Crawford takes a salary reduction and comes back next season.

Go ahead. I'll continue to "laugh" at them wasting even more money, and you continuing to play the fool in trying to defend it. Again, I'm right, and you and they are wrong.

It's hilarious that you could somehow think that wasting millions on a bad player and terrible risk is something to "laugh" at me about.

Here's a quarter, go buy a clue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Unlike you, and the rest of the Cowboys dummies, I knew enough to know it was time to move on. I knew the risk wasn't worth keeping him under his current contract. I was right, and you - and they - were wrong.

You go ahead and continue to make your lame excuses for keeping that turd and wasting $10 million. Keep embarrassing yourself.

You really like crying over spilled milk to try the bait and switch.

Again, the bursitis was a single case and there is no indication that is a chronic condition.

SSoup

Reaction score
And get locked in even further witha guy who didn't come close to earning his keep in year one of that deal? No thanks. I'm already looking at the 'out year' on the Lawrence deal, not looking to get locked in even deeper.
Agreed. If the idea is that you should only re-work contracts with the players you're sure will still be playing well by the end of their deals, count Lawrence out of that group.

We paid him a massive contract and he gave us a 5-sack performance this season. We should be looking for a trap door to shove him out of, not finding ways to have his hooks even deeper into us later on when he's gonna be even older and worse.

BHendri5

Reaction score
LOL this writer is an idiot. We have more than that in salary cap. Earlier reports have stated that we have anywhere from 88-100 million in cap space. Writers like this should be banned from writing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So you're proven to have been completely wrong and the best retort you have is "crying over spilled milk"? That's pathetic. And any "bait and switch" comes from you, the guy that mistakenly claimed that "the hip was new" and now once to try to rewrite history some more.

Again, the bursitis was a single case and there is no indication that is a chronic condition.

Of course, turn a blind eye to it again. Be just like the same dummies who thought everything would be fine last year and threw $10 million down the drain. They thought the same thing since it happened during the 2018 season. "He's fine. A little rest and rehab and he'll be as good as new, ready to go!" Willful ignorance on full display.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. If the idea is that you should only re-work contracts with the players you're sure will still be playing well by the end of their deals, count Lawrence out of that group.

We paid him a massive contract and he gave us a 5-sack performance this season. We should be looking for a trap door to shove him out of, not finding ways to have his hooks even deeper into us later on when he's gonna be even older and worse.

It's refreshing to see that some people still get it, thanks!
:thumbup:

glimmerman

Reaction score
It's refreshing to see that some people still get it, thanks!
:thumbup:
D-Law dont care because he gets that guaranteed money. That huge signing bonus. He is set. He does a great job but didn’t see him going after it the way he did when looking for a contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D-Law dont care because he gets that guaranteed money. That huge signing bonus. He is set. He does a great job but didn’t see him going after it the way he did when looking for a contract.

First and foremost, Lawrence is about Lawrence. There's no doubt about that whatsoever. All about getting his. And once he got it, his attitude clearly changed. He's got some money and some security and he acts like it. He was in the right place at the right time, he played well and the Cowboys had no other options. Greg Hardy was having a meletdown, Gregory and Irving were choosing weed over football, and Marinelli was choosing Taco Charlton over TJ Watt. Who was the beneficiary? Lawrence.

And now that he's gotten paid, what's he all about? Social media, bragging about what he bought, and the embarrassing Hot Boyz crap. Oh, and chasing after sacks on the field he doesn't get, while opposing quarterbacks run around his side for first down after first down after first down.

I sincerely hope that these new coaches can help him remove his head from his posterior. Otherwise, this team will be counting down the days until they can dump him and that contract.

glimmerman

Reaction score
First and foremost, Lawrence is about Lawrence. There's no doubt about that whatsoever. All about getting his. And once he got it, his attitude clearly changed. He's got some money and some security and he acts like it. He was in the right place at the right time, he played well and the Cowboys had no other options. Greg Hardy was having a meletdown, Gregory and Irving were choosing weed over football, and Marinelli was choosing Taco Charlton over TJ Watt. Who was the beneficiary? Lawrence.

And now that he's gotten paid, what's he all about? Social media, bragging about what he bought, and the embarrassing Hot Boyz crap. Oh, and chasing after sacks on the field he doesn't get, while opposing quarterbacks run around his side for first down after first down after first down.

I sincerely hope that these new coaches can help him remove his head from his posterior. Otherwise, this team will be counting down the days until they can dump him and that contract.
I agree. He is a monster against the run or the rest of our line sucks so bad at it that it makes him look that way. But the sacks have disappeared. We released taco and he went to the dolphins and had as many sacks as D-Law. One was against Dak. Not sure when the first opportunity to cut him is on his contract but guessing we will and end up paying him for a few years after he is gone. I didn’t mind him on social media showing off his new car but it was at a bad time. The hot boys crap needs to go. Hoping that the new staff come in and change this whole culture. It’s time to get strict and go to work. You can horse play and push your product on your own time. Get to work.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Your 'hero" at work:

I'll "laugh" at him getting owned all over the field - again - while I laugh at you continuing to try to defend him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. He is a monster against the run or the rest of our line sucks so bad at it that it makes him look that way. But the sacks have disappeared. We released taco and he went to the dolphins and had as many sacks as D-Law. One was against Dak. Not sure when the first opportunity to cut him is on his contract but guessing we will and end up paying him for a few years after he is gone. I didn’t mind him on social media showing off his new car but it was at a bad time. The hot boys crap needs to go. Hoping that the new staff come in and change this whole culture. It’s time to get strict and go to work. You can horse play and push your product on your own time. Get to work.

Yes, there are some guys on this team who have their priorities out of whack and hopefully the new coaching staff and culture can get them right. It happens with young guys, I understand that. Everyone has to be educated at some point as to what's important and what isn't. We've all been there.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes, there are some guys on this team who have their priorities out of whack and hopefully the new coaching staff and culture can get them right. It happens with young guys, I understand that. Everyone has to be educated at some point as to what's important and what isn't. We've all been there.
I think there will be some kicking and screaming and players trying to bypass this staff and go to JJ. It’s on him to put them back to the HC and not coddle these guys anymore.