Deep Dive into the Dallas Cowboys 2020 Salary Cap

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there will be some kicking and screaming and players trying to bypass this staff and go to JJ. It’s on him to put them back to the HC and not coddle these guys anymore.

Jerry can certainly undermine the entire thing if he allows something like that to happen. He needs to have a closed door policy with the players and let them know that without question, the head coach is in charge of discipline. I think that what contributed to the problem was the last head coach's aversion to conflict and difficult situations. He'd rather talk to a third party behind closed doors than to actually handle difficult situations personally. That approach spread throughout the team.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jerry can certainly undermine the entire thing if he allows something like that to happen. He needs to have a closed door policy with the players and let them know that without question, the head coach is in charge of discipline. I think that what contributed to the problem was the last head coach's aversion to conflict and difficult situations. He'd rather talk to a third party behind closed doors than to actually handle difficult situations personally. That approach spread throughout the team.
The JJ and JG were player people and it set up a culture that young players took advantage of. New veteran players came in and were in shock as to the way things were. Veteran players can motivate themselves and usually have there craft perfected.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So Crawford can play either DT or DE, cool.

But will he be productive at either? With his injury issue, and age, I really don't see that his versatility alone is reason to bring him back. Haven't researched it, but with the plethora of defensive linemen in the NFL, would seem that there's a younger guy who could do the job for less than $9 million a year, or even $6-8 million a year.

Not really a fan of the "he can play x or y position", normally that means he's not really great at either, if he was he'd be a fixture at one of the spots. Didn't see Lilly or White moving over to DE very much, Lilly was at DE some early in his career but that didn't last long.

I would release Crawford and go with a younger guy, not to say I dislike Crawford, but for the team's sake he's not a good fit anymore...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The JJ and JG were player people and it set up a culture that young players took advantage of. New veteran players came in and were in shock as to the way things were. Veteran players can motivate themselves and usually have there craft perfected.

I read an interesting quote from former Packers WR Greg Jennings, the guy who's singing the loudest praises of Mike McCarthy anywhere right now. He had just left Green Bay and gone to Minnesota as a free agent and he was in the process of trying to bad-mouth McCarthy, Rodgers, and all things Packers (jaded ex-girlfriend stuff). And he mentioned how the culture with Leslie Frazier and the Vikings (who failed miserably) was 'so much different, and he wasn't walking on eggshells like he was in Green Bay'. Hearing a jaded ex-player give this description makes me feel good about seeing a significant change and improvement in discipline with the Cowboys. I would much rather hear player complain about walking on eggshells than hearing about the inmates running the asylum.

But it's funny how a former player, who was once complaining, can't say enough good things about Mike McCarthy at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Crawford can play either DT or DE, cool.

But will he be productive at either? With his injury issue, and age, I really don't see that his versatility alone is reason to bring him back. Haven't researched it, but with the plethora of defensive linemen in the NFL, would seem that there's a younger guy who could do the job for less than $9 million a year, or even $6-8 million a year.

Not really a fan of the "he can play x or y position", normally that means he's not really great at either, if he was he'd be a fixture at one of the spots. Didn't see Lilly or White moving over to DE very much, Lilly was at DE some early in his career but that didn't last long.

I would release Crawford and go with a younger guy, not to say I dislike Crawford, but for the team's sake he's not a good fit anymore...

I'm in total agreement, but then again I'm 'the bad guy' and a Crawford hater because I speak the uncomfortable truth about him.

You're exactly right though. The position flex garbage is a bunch of crap. Being bad at two spots isn't position flex, it's being bad at two spots. The team wasted $10 million of cap space last year, and tens of millions overall, on a player that was displaced at defensive tackle and a liability at RDE.

It's amazing how many people apparently did not notice that this team went from getting one sack a year from Crawford at RDE to 11.5 having a real one there in Robert Quinn?

I can get a rookie - drafted or undrafted - to line up as a rotational defensive lineman. For far less than any "pay cut" that Crawford would be talking about. And that young guy would certainly have a better chance of being healthy for 16 games than Crawford at this point too. Time to pull the bandaid off.

Here's a fun exercise, try to find #98 in these video clips from last season:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Go ahead. I'll continue to "laugh" at them wasting even more money, and you continuing to play the fool in trying to defend it. Again, I'm right, and you and they are wrong.

It's hilarious that you could somehow think that wasting millions on a bad player and terrible risk is something to "laugh" at me about.

Here's a quarter, go buy a clue.

Blind eye to what? That it was inflammation and they elected the noninvasive option first.

the only thing I've been wrong about is the start of bursitis. You've been writing like it's a chronic issue and the prognosis is poor with zero evidence.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm in total agreement, but then again I'm 'the bad guy' and a Crawford hater because I speak the uncomfortable truth about him.

You're exactly right though. The position flex garbage is a bunch of crap. Being bad at two spots isn't position flex, it's being bad at two spots. The team wasted $10 million of cap space last year, and tens of millions overall, on a player that was displaced at defensive tackle and a liability at RDE.

It's amazing how many people apparently did not notice that this team went from getting one sack a year from Crawford at RDE to 11.5 having a real one there in Robert Quinn?

I can get a rookie - drafted or undrafted - to line up as a rotational defensive lineman. For far less than any "pay cut" that Crawford would be talking about. And that young guy would certainly have a better chance of being healthy for 16 games than Crawford at this point too. Time to pull the bandaid off.

Here's a fun exercise, try to find #98 in these video clips from last season:

First was obviously a strongside slant as Crawford crossed the OT to engage him. LVE was supposed to be the backside fill and he crashed the B gap. The DBs got owned and you get what you got.

Nice cherrypick failure though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blind eye to what? That it was inflammation and they elected the noninvasive option first.

the only thing I've been wrong about is the start of bursitis.

Well, it's nice to see that you can finally admit that you were once again wrong. Better late than ever on that latest admission.

You've been writing like it's a chronic issue and the prognosis is poor with zero evidence.

"Writing like"? Now you're going to try to tell me about how you're putting words in my mouth? How did their "prognosis" work out last year? How's that look?

Like I said, I look forward to your meltdown.

And likewise, your next futile defense of this team's next obvious blunder.

They piss money away on lousy, disappointing play, or no play at all, you try to defend it, and then think you're "laughing at me" as a result of it?

That's some serious delusion you've got going on there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well, it's nice to see that you can finally admit that you were once again wrong. Better late than ever on that latest admission.

"Writing like"? Now you're going to try to tell me about how you're putting words in my mouth? How did their "prognosis" work out last year? How's that look?

And likewise, your next futile defense of this team's next obvious blunder.

They piss money away on lousy, disappointing play, or no play at all, you try to defend it, and then think you're "laughing at me" as a result of it?

That's some serious delusion you've got going on there.

Hey I think it's funny how you make every thread about Crawford and froth at the mouth.

As for the previous prognosis, it was always a risk that surgery would be necessary but I completely understand trying the less invasive option first.

As for the rest, I've been saying for years he was making twice as much as he should. You act like he's the worst DE and signing in the history of the NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First was obviously a strongside slant as Crawford crossed the OT to engage him. LVE was supposed to be the backside fill and he crashed the B gap. The DBs got owned and you get what you got.

Nice cherrypick failure though.

Bull. It was a fake defensive end getting washed out and losing contain. That slant nonsense is a flat out lie. Yet another from you. You're on a roll. Crawford engaged head up with the left tackle and then that big blocker Evan Engram annihilated him.

LVE in the wrong gap doesn't absolve your hero of his part in it. He once again shows that he has no business playing defense end. Can't get a sack there to save his life and doesn't hold up against the run either.

There's your "failure".

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bull. It was a fake defensive end getting washed out and losing contain. That slant nonsense is a flat out lie. Yet another from you. You're on a roll. Crawford engaged head up with the left tackle and then that big blocker Evan Engram annihilated him.

LVE in the wrong gap doesn't absolve your hero of his part in it. He once again shows that he has no business playing defense end. Can't get a sack there to save his life and doesn't hold up against the run either.

There's your "failure".

If LVE had filled the backside instead of crashing inside he would've met him at the los. Crawford was the only one in the B gap. The only nonsense is your football acumen. Backside fill was messed up continually last year. Meanwhile you had no clue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey I think it's funny how you make every thread about Crawford and froth at the mouth.

As for the previous prognosis, it was always a risk that surgery would be necessary but I completely understand trying the less invasive option first.

It has nothing to do with the treatment option they chose. It has everything to do with not cutting a guy they could have saved money on that was coming off of a missed offseason and questionable health. He was not only grossly overpaid, he was an overpaid risk, coming off of yet another embarrassment, this one off the field, and facing possible suspension for it.

A smart team had every reason to force him into a huge pay-cut or an outright cut. These dummies did neither, and wasted $10 million of cap space.

That's the problem.

As for the rest, I've been saying for years he was making twice as much as he should.

More delusion and attempted revisionist history. You're the guy that jumps into every mention of his name in yet another pathetic attempt to defend him. You would think that after the embarrassing waste of time and money his 2019 season was, even you would have learned by now. But just like with Jason Garrett, you never did.

You act like he's the worst DE and signing in the history of the NFL.

Don't try to tell me "how I act", your clear attempts at misrepresenting my position are what you're now reduced to because facts and logic are getting you clobbered. So you're reduced to making things up and projecting. That's a sad case for argument

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If LVE had filled the backside instead of crashing inside he would've met him at the los. Crawford was the only one in the B gap. The only nonsense is your football acumen. Backside fill was messed up continually last year. Meanwhile you had no clue.

And yet, others took the same position that I have, after watching the film. Meanwhile, we have you, Tyrone Crawford's relative and excuse-maker trying to spin the blame to someone - anyone else. If this site allowed it, I'd link the review done by John Owning of the play, and then I'd be owning you, yet again.

Hmmm. Who should anyone believe here? Those watching film, or Crawford's lead cheerleader?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How about the way that you run to his aid? Like a fly to poop.

Just because you have a question about his hip injury does not mean the team does. I do love your constant wishcasting for worse possible outcome regarding Crawford.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT-TxgfA9sKRh_g8TQA0WUEDBTe637qDnTNdc22psuwnRRd23qs