CFZ Defending the Dak contact, and where do we go from here

phildadon86

Reaction score
We can do that too with Cade. The important thing is that we have the flexibility because of the Dak contract to pick a QB on our own terms rather than the terms of circumstance.
Well. Drafting Cade would mean going away from what we normally do for QBs in the draft.

Draft one from a big school.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Here are a couple of names I would watch in the draft. I am on record that the current QB aint it but the top 3 QBs will be long gone when they draft. Anthony Richardson out of Florida might be there end of round one. I personally would not draft him there because of the amount of development I think he needs but the front office might be very intrigued by him particularly after the combine. Max Duggan of TCU is a QB that the staff is well aware of and his draft stock could rise with a good game tonight. They might be interested mid to late rounds.
Hendon Hooker could be a nice get in the later rounds. And him being hurt currently will give him time to learn the mental part of the NFL game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Counterpoint, we probably do not sign much that year anyway, and we'd still be without Parsons who transformed the defence. So, I still think that signing Dak was the right decision, and now is when we go and try to begin the process of replacing him.
Good chance you are correct. The year would be looked at as a rrebuildingyear with Fields at QB, but that also gives you flexibility for the upcoming offseason to go on that spending spree....of course as you mentioned you have to spend in a way that makes up for not having Parsons AND doesnt interfere with your young QBs next contract that comes up in a couple seasons.

Tough to say what the right answer is, but It's an interesting debate, that's for sure.

leeblair

Reaction score
Im explaining based on where we were at the time. I do not think anyone thought Cooper Rush was going to be what he became, especially after his lack of success when we had Garrett. And, even with that, the one thing Dak does give us is a lot of points. As well as Rush did, he didn't score a lot of points, and our defence is exhausted, it seems to me. So, based on where we were heading into the 2021 draft when we had to decide on keeping Dak or not, keeping Dak was the correct decision, and I still think that it was, especially since, as stated, we can pick a QB on our own terms, which is a nice spot to be able have at our advantage.
I understand, and we apparently are stuck with Dak anyway, but the fan base needs to make it loud and clear that Dak does not need to be extended without removing his no-trade clause.
IF he would agree to be traded, the Cowboys might finally get something out of him. If the Cowboys re-work his deal, there needs to be clauses that allow them to move on from him.

RS12

Reaction score
Hendon Hooker could be a nice get in the later rounds. And him being hurt currently will give him time to learn the mental part of the NFL game.
Yeah plus he will be 25 or 26 this year. He will likely slide a long way. I like his game though. Jake Haener of Fresno St is another guy in that range who at a minimum looks like he could be a 10 year high end backup.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good chance you are correct. The year would be looked at as a rrebuildingyear with Fields at QB, but that also gives you flexibility for the upcoming offseason to go on that spending spree....of course as you mentioned you have to spend in a way that makes up for not having Parsons AND doesnt interfere with your young QBs next contract that comes up in a couple seasons.

Tough to say what the right answer is, but It's an interesting debate, that's for sure.

However, the oline is starting to show wears and tears, as would be expected, and we were lucky that Peters agreed to sign here. I'm not sure Fields would be much better with us, otherwise, than he's been in Chicago. So, to me, extending Dak was the right decision, and it gives us flexibility for taking a QB at our leisure rather than a required selection. That gives us the ability to potentially find a QB that ends up being better than going 1 overall. Something Mike McCarthy knows.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah plus he will be 25 or 26 this year. He will likely slide a long way. I like his game though. Jake Haener of Fresno St is another guy in that range who at a minimum looks like he could be a 10 year high end backup.
I wish this team didnt have the talent to win more than 5 games next year an go after Maye with everything.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly, and, if we develop them well enough, they could be a sleeper pick that end up possibly taking over for Dak. We have an enviable position now that I don't know if a lot of fans know that we have.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wish this team didnt have the talent to win more than 5 games next year an go after Maye with everything.

Well, there might be a different way. We have another advantage given where we are. Perhaps we might be able to find areas of our team that have excess and work the trade block. Perhaps we can acquire picks sufficient to make such a trade worth while. In either case, we have the advantage with picking future QBs because of Dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I understand, and we apparently are stuck with Dak anyway, but the fan base needs to make it loud and clear that Dak does not need to be extended without removing his no-trade clause.
IF he would agree to be traded, the Cowboys might finally get something out of him. If the Cowboys re-work his deal, there needs to be clauses that allow them to move on from him.

But, being stuck with Dak isn't a bad thing if we play our cards right, and the OP that I made helps explain where the advantage in the future is for us. We have flexibility at QB. We aren't forced to take a QB that may or may not bust. We can take our time with QBs. We can take one this year and next year if we wanted to and then trade the lesser of them as teams always need QBs. There's no shortage of possibilities for us with the Dak contract in terms of QB drafting.

RS12

Reaction score
However, the oline is starting to show wears and tears
Yeah I think the end is near for Cowboy great Tyron Smith who I love. He barely got out of his stance or laid a glove on Sweat on that one play. The fact that they cant run right behind him and Zack all day is highly troubling. Tyron Smith in his day was a superb run blocker and Zack is still All Pro.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's pretty much where my thought was behind this. That's where drafting a QB this year comes in knowing that we now have the ability to get the QB flexibility.
The fact that they said they would have drafted Howell in the 5th round tells me that a quarterback is on their mind. If the team goes out early again. Expect the quarterback rumblings to start. Dak only has two years left on his contract.

RS12

Reaction score
Or trading players. That can generate space to possibly make that sort of trade.
If you were a GM whose job is based on the success of the product on the field would you trade out of the top 2 picks in 24 if you didnt have a young franchise QB? I highly doubt it if you want to stay employed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah I think the end is near for Cowboy great Tyron Smith who I love. He barely got out of his stance or laid a glove on Sweat on that one play. The fact that they cant run right behind him and Zack all day is highly troubling. Tyron Smith in his day was a superb run blocker and Zack is still All Pro.

Same, which was why we were forced to take Tyler Smith. We should take a guard or tackle this draft too. However, I think in terms of this thread, that's more advantage to us. We can develop that whole letting the apprentice learn. Meanwhile, Dak can be the bridge between now and then.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you were a GM whose job is based on the success of the product on the field would you trade out of the top 2 picks in 24 if you didnt have a young franchise QB? I highly doubt it if you want to stay employed.

It depends on what's on offer. I do understand what you're saying, but there may be teams that are not QB hungry that may be in a spot there that need something else. That's where we strike.