Defense better than we think?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I've been very critical of the defense throughout the season, and I stand by many of those criticisms.

However, after examining the play of the defense over the past month, I may begin reconsidering my position:

The Cowboys have not scored more than 14 points in any of the past 4 games. Yet, the team is 2-2 over that span, and its victories have come against two good teams--the 7-3 Tampa Bay Bucs and the 6-4 Washington Commanders, both of whom currently hold playoff spots.

Furthermore, since Wade assumed "a greater role" in the defensive play calling a few weeks ago, the Cowboys are 2-1, their two victories coming against the aforementioned Bucs and Commanders and their sole loss coming against the 8-1 New York Giants on the road--a game in which Dallas' offense did its defense no favors.

It's almost impossible for any team to win in this league if it can't score more than 14 points a game.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Precisely. If they can keep this up and our offense rounds into form, who knows how far we can go?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Time of possession has been a major factor. Now Romo is back and can keep the drives alive. We will be singing praises here shortly..:star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the main thing with the defense is guys taking care of their responsibilities and not chasing the ball. Over running plays has hurt us on numerous occasions. Everyone wants to get the ball carrier but sometimes it is more important to turn the play back inside or preventing the cut back lane by holding your ground than it is to go after the ball carrier and allowing him to run around you. Guys know their job they need to do it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2433665 said:
Time of possession has been a major factor. Now Romo is back and can keep the drives alive. We will be singing praises here shortly..:star:

Right on.

The last three games have been pretty darn good. The Giants game wasn't, obviously, but they're just on an incredible roll. They beat up on Baltimore quite a bit worse than they did ours, and we know the Ravens have a good D.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2433751 said:
Right on.

The last three games have been pretty darn good. The Giants game wasn't, obviously, but they're just on an incredible roll. They beat up on Baltimore quite a bit worse than they did ours, and we know the Ravens have a good D.

True but even in the Giants game we sacked Manning 3 time and forced 3 turnovers in the game big problem was the offense could not do anything which lead to giving up great field position for the giants and turned they ball over as well.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
when we have a good defensive performance against a good passing team I might start to believe it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2433756 said:
True but even in the Giants game we sacked Manning 3 time and forced 3 turnovers in the game big problem was the offense could not do anything which lead to giving up great field position for the giants and turned they ball over as well.

Preaching to the choir, Dooms. :)

No defense could overcome the incredible incompetence that was Brad Johnson.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
The offense has been the defense's biggest problem this year on more than one occasion. The defense isn't without its faults this year, but it has gotten more of the blame than it deserves.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
If Newman doesn't play, I'm not quite so optimistic. He almost single-handedly took control of that game on the defensive side of the ball last week.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've posted the defense is the 9th in the league with all the NFC East teams being in the top ten. The Giants are second and are giving up 60 yards a game less. We are pretty close to the rest of the league. No one answers.

Our only problem is giving up over 22 pts/game. We need to be around 17 or less. Otherwise we are in the game. It's mistakes, poor field position and turnovers that are killing us.

In the Giants game, off the top of my head, we gave up the ball 5 or 6 times. You can't do that.

We turned the ball over twice against the Skins and put the ball on the ground at least once more. And mistakes killed three drives. The Skins stopped us once or twice when we didn't kill the drive ourselves with mistakes.

We are the only team capable of stopping us. Stop the mistakes and turnovers and we can't be beat. It's that simple.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2433764 said:
Preaching to the choir, Dooms. :)

No defense could overcome the incredible incompetence that was Brad Johnson.

True, defense is not without fault god knows they have played some poor ball at times but as well. They can't go back and change that all they can do is keep working to improve and the game against the Skins was impressive and hopefully something they can build on.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Our CBs have proven they can play. Our safeties are playing well enough although I have a lot to say there. Our LBs are doing well enough although that's a little problem, too.

They need help from STs and the offense and I think you'll see a D good enough to win a SB.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2433633 said:
I've been very critical of the defense throughout the season, and I stand by many of those criticisms.

However, after examining the play of the defense over the past month, I may begin reconsidering my position:

The Cowboys have not scored more than 14 points in any of the past 4 games. Yet, the team is 2-2 over that span, and its victories have come against two good teams--the 7-3 Tampa Bay Bucs and the 6-4 Washington Commanders, both of whom currently hold playoff spots.

Furthermore, since Wade assumed "a greater role" in the defensive play calling a few weeks ago, the Cowboys are 2-1, their two victories coming against the aforementioned Bucs and Commanders and their sole loss coming against the 8-1 New York Giants on the road--a game in which Dallas' offense did its defense no favors.

It's almost impossible for any team to win in this league if it can't score more than 14 points a game.

I was having this exact argument with someone over the bye week, and then they came out and proved it again against the Commanders. Everyone i discussed with were so dead set on saying they gave up 35 to the giants, with out taking the time to look at where 3 of the turnovers came. Cowboys will be fine.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
The D has all the talent to be a good one. We are weak at safety and ILB. Outside of that we are as good as anyone out there. This D plays well and looks good when they are aggressive. We don't get to see them be aggressive very often though. It would not surprise me to see us fall back into that zone more and get beat up.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2433824 said:
The D has all the talent to be a good one. We are weak at safety and ILB. Outside of that we are as good as anyone out there. This D plays well and looks good when they are aggressive. We don't get to see them be aggressive very often though. It would not surprise me to see us fall back into that zone more and get beat up.

I see it exactly like that. We need a bigger and healthier Burnett to play all three downs. In both MLB positions. And two safeties. And may I add a healthy TNew.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Until Newman can stay healthy and the rest of the guys can prove that they can step up for more than one game at I time I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2433830 said:
Until Newman can stay healthy and the rest of the guys can prove that they can step up for more than one game at I time I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic.

I agree. I think the skins game is something you can build on but this unit has to do the job week in and week out.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2433665 said:
Time of possession has been a major factor. Now Romo is back and can keep the drives alive.
Cowboys Run Defense Rank
After 6 games: 7th
Romo gets injured, misses 3 games
After 9 games: 17th

(Currently 15th)

TIME OF POSSESSION
fourth quarter
Dal 10:13 Cle 4:47
Dal 9:41 Phi 5:15
Dal 7:17 GB 7:43
Dal 2:12 Was 12:48
Dal 6:55 Cin 8:05
Dal 4:36 Ari 10:24
Dal 4:51 StL 10:09
Dal 8:52 TB 6:08
Dal 4:53 NYG 10:07
Dal 10:52 Was 4:08

The key here is that we lost two games even with Romo at QB, so it's not just the presence of Romo that helps out our defense, it's also a commitment by Garrett to run the ball in the fourth quarter.

Gotta have both.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Oh come on take off the homer glasses. The defense has been super inconsistant. One day they are all ready to go and stop tampa Bay and then the next week they are not mentally ready to play. Oh poor babies, Romo is not there to bail them out and they are not mentally ready.

Bah...NO respect fom me untill they show me some consistancy. I will give props for last weeks game. But I'm not saying all is well with this defense. far from it.