Defense: Coverage Solution

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Basically all of the big plays that Awuzie has given up are with 1 receiver on his side and 2 receivers on the other side. In college they would call Awuzie the boundary CB in that situation.

The problem is that teams cheat the deep Safety over to the side of the field with 2 receivers (i.e. The side with the slot WR).

If the Cowboys had Jones and Awuzie flip sides based on Jones being the boundary CB, I think Awuzie would be fine when playing the "field" CB role (outside CB on the side with the Nickel CB).

It is already odd that Jones does not play the LCB position which is the side where right handed QBs are more comfortable throwing.

Side Note: What is the criteria that causes the Cowboys to flip Woods/Heath such that Woods is in the box and Heath is the deep Safety. They've done it in the past when they played 3 LBs against 3 WR set because Woods can move down and play like a CB against the slot WR; however, on the big 92 yard play they gave up to the Jets, they were in Nickel but still had Woods down and Heath deep.

Dre11

Reaction score
Basically all of the big plays that Awuzie has given up are with 1 receiver on his side and 2 receivers on the other side. In college they would call Awuzie the boundary CB in that situation.

The problem is that teams cheat the deep Safety over to the side of the field with 2 receivers (i.e. The side with the slot WR).

If the Cowboys had Jones and Awuzie flip sides based on Jones being the boundary CB, I think Awuzie would be fine when playing the "field" CB role (outside CB on the side with the Nickel CB).

It is already odd that Jones does not play the LCB position which is the side where right handed QBs are more comfortable throwing.

Side Note: What is the criteria that causes the Cowboys to flip Woods/Heath such that Woods is in the box and Heath is the deep Safety. They've done it in the past when they played 3 LBs against 3 WR set because Woods can move down and play like a CB against the slot WR; however, on the big 92 yard play they gave up to the Jets, they were in Nickel but still had Woods down and Heath deep.

Except the field corner is usually your best corner. While the Boundary corner has a smaller area to cover. Also , some coners are just better playing on one side.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

It's preposterous that the coaches sing about Byron but refuse to either have him shadow the other teams #1, or play the boundary. This makes it incredibly easy for teams to scheme away from Jones and towards Awuzie, who has really struggled thus year.

They're also flip flopping between two very different coverage styles from play to play which keeps a DB from being able to settle in and get used to the speed of the WR's, his turn, break, and back pedal.

NOTHING about this defense makes sense. Move LVE to Mike. Start Lee at Will/Sam, play Joe Thomas and make Jaylon a stand-up DE or Leo. Move Jones to full time boundary or shadow and play compound coverages. And for the love of God, quit playing wide gaps between your DL every single down.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

So can a NT that shut downs the run and allow Jaylon, LVE & Safeties to roam around and play coverage.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So can a NT that shut downs the run and allow Jaylon, LVE & Safeties to roam around and play coverage.

That also helps unless woods was covering the back like a receiver so a LB didn't have to. But either way i'd rather let bell run for 15 that give up 90yard TD keep both safeties back.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Or run with who we have, but quit calling it so vanilla. Move guys around. Blitz. Call combo coverages. Zone blitz. Vary the formations more. Adding a NT to this team in its current state would have negligible effect.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

That's odd to me also. They should let Jones be the LCB, move Awuzie to SS, and draft another RCB in next years draft. That's just my opinion and opinions vary just like beliefs.

Dre11

Reaction score
This defense is so much further from being good than Earl Thomas. Even ET wouldn't have made that play on Robby Anderson.

I bet he would've, in that single high safety look, you have to play with more depth than Heath was playing with. Plus he took a bad angle. He needed to take what is called a touchdown angle. I guarantee ET would've understood that.

Dre11

Reaction score
So would Thomas not cheat to the side of 2 receivers? That is what they teach the safety to do. Heath was not out of alignment. Chido failed to maintain his coverage. He can not be left on an island.

Heath did not have enough depth, and he also committed too much to that one side. Then he took a bad angle, he was close but because of is depth and bad angle he didn't even have a chance to at least make a play on the ball or tackle him

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Oddities on defensive personnel - Crawford listed at 290 playing RDE, Lawrence playing LDE, Jaylon at 245 with speed playing MLB, LVE at 256 playing WLB.

But Heath in deep zone plays to his strengths, and Woods in the box *on passing situations* plays to his.

I was disappointed with Heath on that play. I expect him to have the speed and experience to cover the field in single high if the play is in front of him. I don't expect that from Woods.

Dre11

Reaction score
Oddities on defensive personnel - Crawford listed at 290 playing RDE, Lawrence playing LDE, Jaylon at 245 with speed playing MLB, LVE at 256 playing WLB.

But Heath in deep zone plays to his strengths, and Woods in the box *on passing situations* plays to his.

I was disappointed with Heath on that play. I expect him to have the speed and experience to cover the field in single high if the play is in front of him. I don't expect that from Woods.

Woods has been a disappointment. He was suppose take off this season according to folks at camp.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Teletype that to the coaches using Native American.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
NOTHING about this defense makes sense. Move LVE to Mike. Start Lee at Will/Sam, play Joe Thomas and make Jaylon a stand-up DE or Leo. Move Jones to full time boundary or shadow and play compound coverages. And for the love of God, quit playing wide gaps between your DL every single down.

LVE to Mike. Jaylon and Lee on the edges. LVE has the size to hold up at MLB. Marinelli is always playing defensive guys out of position.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The solution was Earl Thomas. He knows the coverages like the back of his hand and is a leader in the secondart

I agree with this Dre.

The cowboys safety play overall is not good enough. Especially for a team that runs as much cover 3 and cover 3 as the cowboys do.

I think it’s also a critical piece in the lack of turnovers. We don’t have that safety that knows how to bait the QB into throwing a ball and then close the gap and pick it off.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Heath did not have enough depth, and he also committed too much to that one side. Then he took a bad angle, he was close but because of is depth and bad angle he didn't even have a chance to at least make a play on the ball or tackle him

I think Heath frequently takes poor angles in both coverage and run support. Sometimes his elite speed allows him to get away with it. But this time, the speed wasn’t enough.....

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

That's odd to me also. They should let Jones be the LCB, move Awuzie to SS, and draft another RCB in next years draft. That's just my opinion and opinions vary just like beliefs.
Awuzie should be moved to FS and Lewis could take his spot. Send Heath to the bench!

TheHerd

Reaction score
So would Thomas not cheat to the side of 2 receivers? That is what they teach the safety to do. Heath was not out of alignment. Chido failed to maintain his coverage. He can not be left on an island.
And the off CB has to know he doesn't have deep help. This is the time it's ok not to be overly aggressive. Which is the standard play of our defensive backs, and why it's so maddening when they get beat deep. If we pressing and forcing everything all the time, it would be a lot easier to deal with an occasional deep pass. But given how easily we give up the short stuff, how do they also get best deep?