Defense: Coverage Solution

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Heath did not have enough depth, and he also committed too much to that one side. Then he took a bad angle, he was close but because of is depth and bad angle he didn't even have a chance to at least make a play on the ball or tackle him

He wasnt designed to help with anderson. Chido had him to himself. Heath was playing both receivers and was in position to come up should he need to. That was the design.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oddities on defensive personnel - Crawford listed at 290 playing RDE, Lawrence playing LDE, Jaylon at 245 with speed playing MLB, LVE at 256 playing WLB.

But Heath in deep zone plays to his strengths, and Woods in the box *on passing situations* plays to his.

I was disappointed with Heath on that play. I expect him to have the speed and experience to cover the field in single high if the play is in front of him. I don't expect that from Woods.
I'm certain that Jaylon is well over 245. Did you see the photo of Jaylon, DLaw and Quinn in street clothes together?

Jaylon looks bigger than Quinn and not that far from DLaw.

The weight gain is the reason for his decreased agility, IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Heath frequently takes poor angles in both coverage and run support. Sometimes his elite speed allows him to get away with it. But this time, the speed wasn’t enough.....
There was not much Heath could do to change angles on that play.

He could "angle" to a spot a little deeper but that means it will take more steps to get there.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm certain that Jaylon is well over 245. Did you see the photo of Jaylon, DLaw and Quinn in street clothes together?

Jaylon looks bigger than Quinn and not that far from DLaw.

The weight gain is the reason for his decreased agility, IMO.

Interesting. Could be. The Cowboy's site is notoriously horrible at keeping player weights accurate.

If they *purposely* bulked up Jaylon and killed his speed and agility, that's just one more reason to dump those bozos.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And the off CB has to know he doesn't have deep help. This is the time it's ok not to be overly aggressive. Which is the standard play of our defensive backs, and why it's so maddening when they get beat deep. If we pressing and forcing everything all the time, it would be a lot easier to deal with an occasional deep pass. But given how easily we give up the short stuff, how do they also get best deep?

That double step is what got him i think. And he knew it

Dre11

Reaction score
He wasnt designed to help with anderson. Chido had him to himself. Heath was playing both receivers and was in position to come up should he need to. That was the design.

He does help with Anderson that's why he's the high safety he lets nothing deeper than Him

Dre11

Reaction score

He could "angle" to a spot a little deeper but that means it will take more steps to get there.

If he played with more depth like he was suppose to, he would've been in position to make a play on the ball.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He does help with Anderson that's why he's the high safety he lets nothing deeper than Him

No not against that formation. He is supposed to shade to help with the 2 wr's. Its stupid to have 3 linebackers then have woods cheat up but thats what richards called. His alignment was sound, but maybe a better safety helps, a better cb does for sure and a better defensive play call was needed.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I admittedly only watched the play a few times and only from broadcast angles. Not the all 22.

But I am also speaking to Heath’s overall play. He does take poor angles at times and it costs him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Heath frequently takes poor angles in both coverage and run support. Sometimes his elite speed allows him to get away with it. But this time, the speed wasn’t enough.....
Yes, Awuzie was expected to cover Anderson with no help. The number 1 rule in that coverage is to not give up yards after the catch. They know some passes will get completed against a CB with no help, but they figure more often than not the pass won't be completed.

Heath's "angle":

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/heath-and-angles.443372/

Zman5

Reaction score
I admittedly only watched the play a few times and only from broadcast angles. Not the all 22.

But I am also speaking to Heath’s overall play. He does take poor angles at times and it costs him.

I think two things that effected Heath making the tackle was playaction which slowed his drop and he was playing the ball. If you look at the all22, he slows down his drop watching the QB/RB PA then as the ball is thrown, he's tracking the ball as he is running toward Anderson.

If he would have just sprinted toward Anderson without tracking the ball, he would have had a chance to do his Bobby Bucher impression and blow the play up.
You can't really blame him for playing the ball as he was probably thinking possible INT.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think two things that effected Heath making the tackle was playaction which slowed his drop and he was playing the ball. If you look at the all22, he slows down his drop watching the QB/RB PA then as the ball is thrown, he's tracking the ball as he is running toward Anderson.

If he would have just sprinted toward Anderson without tracking the ball, he would have had a chance to do his Bobby Bucher impression and blow the play up.
You can't really blame him for playing the ball as he was probably thinking possible INT.

I can certainly blame him, when he just falls flat on his face and doesn’t even get close to the ball. He looked like a pathetic scrub falling on his face as a mediocre WR burns him for the longest play of the season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, Awuzie was expected to cover Anderson with no help. The number 1 rule in that coverage is to not give up yards after the catch. They know some passes will get completed against a CB with no help, but they figure more often than not the pass won't be completed.

Heath's "angle":

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/heath-and-angles.443372/

Its like talking to a wall. Thanks for breaking this down.

Zman5

Reaction score
I can certainly blame him, when he just falls flat on his face and doesn’t even get close to the ball. He looked like a pathetic scrub falling on his face as a mediocre WR burns him for the longest play of the season.

You can blame him for missing the tackle but I can't blame him for playing the ball trying to get the INT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was in shock that LVE didn't go immediately to MLB, especially w/ Jayon's injury history and build.

I wasn't shocked. I was annoyed. Disgusted. I rolled by eyes. But not surprised at yet another bad personnel call.

I'm pretty black pilled about Garrett and Marinelli. They are who I thought they were.