CFZ Defense down the stretch is a concern!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I find it ironic that Dan Quinn seems to be Teflon right now in the defense gets excuses that rod marinelli Mike Nolan Jason Garrett nobody got those excuses when things were going bad this defense hasn't really played well all year... It's an illusion because they played so many bad offenses it makes them look better than they are I'm not saying they suck but if you look at the losses and you look at that close loss in Seattle this is not the defense we were expecting this year they play far too much pressure far too much man not enough zone whatever they're doing I hope they figure out how to get it fixed but this is the Jason Garrett syndrome Dan Quinn is leaning on his talent instead of his scheme and he is getting disappointed when that talent isn't playing up to part he's not making any changes..

And some of it yeah we lost our L VE we lost Trayvon diggs we've had some injuries so yeah the talent level isn't as as expected but in my opinion somehow this place is giving Dan Quinn a pass because they think he's the next head coach here and this is the same thing he did in Atlanta when he was a head coach it's the same thing that's been going on occasionally like last year the blown leads in Jacksonville and Green Bay this defense can be exposed and it has far too often this year they don't look anything like you would expect a shutdown championship defense to look like those teams gave up under 14 points a game for the entire year they didn't have these big ups and downs all the time...

I hope they can get it fixed but whatever it is I'm putting it squarely on Dan Quinn right now he's the face of this defense... Tell me how people think that Seattle game was like a an anomaly like an outlier did they not see the three losses I mean they are mostly the reason we lost those games...

They no longer can blame the offense for not being able to move the ball punting throwing interceptions or the special teams fumbling or giving bad field position because that was the excuses last year or in some of these games but this year those things are not happening and the defense is still struggling...
The fans and the media have given the defense a pass all year long. I think many saw them beat terrible offenses early on and some idiot said this is a generation defense. Remember the Arizona game? Everyone put the blame on Dak and the offense, but they got totally gashed against a backup QB whose team was outright tanking. SFO was the same, but everyone blamed Dak and the offense again. Offense was also very bad that day, but the Defense gave up TD's on every drive.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The fans and the media have given the defense a pass all year long. I think many saw them beat terrible offenses early on and some idiot said this is a generation defense. Remember the Arizona game? Everyone put the blame on Dak and the offense, but they got totally gashed against a backup QB whose team was outright tanking. SFO was the same, but everyone blamed Dak and the offense again. Offense was also very bad that day, but the Defense gave up TD's on every drive.
That happens every year. That during the month of December helps the reactions of the team during the playoffs and all teams game plan change to challenge what they know about. Just the elevated level of play offs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Exactly how I see it, they're getting a pass when they shouldn't be... turnabout is fair play, the defense is now playing terrible and in fact the offense and Prescott having to play out of their minds is carrying this team right now.... I hope they can get it turned around I have confidence somehow there's going to be a lot of long meetings how about what they can do to get this back on track and at least this adversity at 9-3 before our hardest stretch is a good wakeup call..

we won three games in a row we have some of the toughest games coming ahead and now they have something to think about and they're not going to be smelling themselves...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Let's get the next Eagle's game out of the way, so we can go kick the butts of the rest of them!

blueblood70

Reaction score
That happens every year. That during the month of December helps the reactions of the team during the playoffs and all teams game plan change to challenge what they know about. Just the elevated level of play offs.
Unfortunately for the Dallas Cowboys that stretch is about to happen right now starting with Philadelphia and having to play Buffalo and Miami on the road and then they Detroit I mean this is going to be the barometer of can we adjust can we play an elevated level of football I mean Prescott and the offense has already done that and sure they can be better the run game is still lacking maybe Mike McCarthy saving Rico and that I formation tough running for later they have something up his sleeve... I don't think he's been sandbagging but maybe he's saving some plays for later..

But I'm more worried about championship defense and we are not playing anywhere close to that... December football and the playoffs is supposed to be about tough nosed physical run game low scoring defense having that attitude not shootouts we should not be playing in shootouts.... This defense is just giving up far too many points look at the three losses this can't keep going on and expect us to do well and what you label as December football IE the next level.

No rest for the weary.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well it may be the loss of LVE but you're saying the communication what I'm saying is it's not Kearses first time communicating, hes done really well with it in the past. At least they have the 10 days to really look over what happened in the last eagle game and in this Seattle game and maybe take a hard look at making some changes and not counting on the talent to keep getting all these turnovers and sacks they need to create a defense that now helps the offense it's completely opposite of what we are going into this year thinking we need to play conservative offense because all we had to do was score what 17 points and we should be in every game??

That did not happen that is why people who were all over Mike McCarthy for coming out with that philosophy trying to run a conservative offense to help our defense because our defense was supposed to be this next coming of doomsday had to reinvent the offense and go wide opsten and be very aggressive in this play calling because this defense he has no faith in it at all right now... He's probably having nightmares from 2020 when Mike Nolan did this the first five games of the year when his offense was on fire, we do we not remember Prescott was playing like this before he broke his ankle but the defense couldn't stop anyone?? I remember and this is a problem because Mike McCarthy is getting drilled for the way he's calling plays he's calling plays because he thinks he needs to score on every single drive... at home? That just should never have happened so let's hope they find a way to fix this let's hope that the defense itself and the coaches getting all the blowback and the negative talk motivates them to play better...
You are right, the original plan was for the offense to play more complementary, become more run oriented and protect the football. That strategy had to be thrown out after the 49er loss, as the defense was no where near elite. They needed the offense to become more explosive to HELP the defense out. Considering the offense hasn't had a consistent run game all season long, how much more can we expect out of Dak and the offense? The defense has to be their part. They easily could of lost the last two games cause of how the defense has played.

Remember, Dan Quinn's unit pretty much stayed all together, the Cowboy Front Office resigned several key starters back. The Offense had a brand new scheme, several new starters.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let's get the next Eagle's game out of the way, so we can go kick the butts of the rest of them!
Well we gotta all be praying for the 49ers to beat the Eagles that would help set up a really nice rematch... If the Eagles win today it probably makes this game against them not so big for us..:confused::thumbdown:.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Exactly how I see it, they're getting a pass when they shouldn't be... turnabout is fair play, the defense is now playing terrible and in fact the offense and Prescott having to play out of their minds is carrying this team right now.... I hope they can get it turned around I have confidence somehow there's going to be a lot of long meetings how about what they can do to get this back on track and at least this adversity at 9-3 before our hardest stretch is a good wakeup call..

we won three games in a row we have some of the toughest games coming ahead and now they have something to think about and they're not going to be smelling themselves...
Everyone is still seeing if Dak can play well against top competition, but let's see how the defense plays.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Unfortunately for the Dallas Cowboys that stretch is about to happen right now starting with Philadelphia and having to play Buffalo and Miami on the road and then they Detroit I mean this is going to be the barometer of can we adjust can we play an elevated level of football I mean Prescott and the offense has already done that and sure they can be better the run game is still lacking maybe Mike McCarthy saving Rico and that I formation tough running for later they have something up his sleeve... I don't think he's been sandbagging but maybe he's saving some plays for later..

But I'm more worried about championship defense and we are not playing anywhere close to that... December football and the playoffs is supposed to be about tough nosed physical run game low scoring defense having that attitude not shootouts we should not be playing in shootouts.... This defense is just giving up far too many points look at the three losses this can't keep going on and expect us to do well and what you label as December football IE the next level.

No rest for the weary.

Now boils down to match-ups. Dallas has a strength at those...and coaches that are able to direct those very things

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This has been the issue the last two seasons, just weren't playing their best football late.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well we gotta all be praying for the 49ers to beat the Eagles that would help set up a really nice rematch... If the Eagles win today it probably makes this game against them not so big for us..:confused::thumbdown:.
Momentum, momentum, and make 'em worry, now and in games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You are right, the original plan was for the offense to play more complementary, become more run oriented and protect the football. That strategy had to be thrown out after the 49er loss, as the defense was no where near elite. They needed the offense to become more explosive to HELP the defense out. Considering the offense hasn't had a consistent run game all season long, how much more can we expect out of Dak and the offense? The defense has to be their part. They easily could of lost the last two games cause of how the defense has played.

Remember, Dan Quinn's unit pretty much stayed all together, the Cowboy Front Office resigned several key starters back. The Offense had a brand new scheme, several new starters.
Yep that is my only complaint about the offense they need to find a run game especially in the red zone ,short yardage...

I'm not sure why they're so hesitant to use hunter in front of Rico in more traditional eye formations and whatnot... Let's hope somehow Mike McCarthy sandbagging a little bit and saving some of this December football and playoff football with this short yardage stuff...

where he doesn't want to show all of what he's got, I mean I don't know how else to explain it he's trying to make Tony Pollard a workhorse back and in my opinion, it's backfiring. we're losing what makes Tony special.. Let's be honest Tony Pollard is an average running back right now if you look at him as a starter like 4 yards per carry less than a handful of touchdowns,

I mean zeke was doing this on one leg... This isn't knocking Tony, I think he's being misused and I'm not sure why I mean at least I want to see Rico and Tony in the backfield together more also want to see hunter in front of both of them more.

I mean not using the full back and running more especially inside the five yard line and throwing passes, i dont know...hmm

CCBoy

Reaction score
This has been the issue the last two seasons, just weren't playing their best football late.
Year three in playoff experience and now the months of December. I'm betting on experience and change switching to the Dallas side of the ledger, here.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

No rest for the weary.

This will be the Cowboys undoing this season, their inability to run football and their inconsistency to stop it! That has to be their offseason focus! Could this be fixed this season? Run game has started to look better, adding Leonard could really help, so it is possible.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Now boils down to match-ups. Dallas has a strength at those...and coaches that are able to direct those very things
I'm not sure how we match up against all those teams quite yet things are not what they appear to be when we started this season we thought we were gonna have a championship shut down low scoring defense that didn't happen we have Prescott playing without much of a run game that can't last very long that is not how December football is played so I hope we find a run game I hope the defense plays better can we get some of that momentum..

The one thing I do know is we don't match up very well against 49ers.... Lucky we won't have to see them until the playoffs...

blueblood70

Reaction score
This will be the Cowboys undoing this season, their inability to run football and their inconsistency to stop it! That has to be their offseason focus! Could this be fixed this season? Run game has started to look better, adding Leonard could really help, so it is possible.
You know the Leonard thing is weird I mean everyone's counting on the guy that we have no idea how he's gonna fit in here does he have anything left just being a veteran maybe a wise linebacker roaming the middle with a little bit of athleticism I mean I don't know, I mean I don't even know if he's coming here but if he does come here it's still gonna be an X Factor whether he makes a difference...

It is odd I don't see a whole bunch of posts on social media are here about the fact that he went to the meeting in Philly and left without a contract wasn't that a knock on Jerry that he didn't sign him even though we all knew he was gonna make both visits before he made a decision...

Most of the reports I've seen is he's leaning towards Dallas... But most reports are pro Dallas, so I don't know... I guess if Jerry calls him up and says hey I promise you're the immediate starting middle linebacker with the green dot on your hat you can have as much playing time as you think you can handle then maybe he comes here but if he has to battle through Clark and Evans I don't think that's what he wants...

Truthfully I don't know anything about Leonard except for his reputation from his first three years in the league but what he's become I have no idea who he is....

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep that is my only complaint about the offense they need to find a run game especially in the red zone ,short yardage...

I'm not sure why they're so hesitant to use hunter in front of Rico in more traditional eye formations and whatnot... Let's hope somehow Mike McCarthy sandbagging a little bit and saving some of this December football and playoff football with this short yardage stuff...

where he doesn't want to show all of what he's got, I mean I don't know how else to explain it he's trying to make Tony Pollard a workhorse back and in my opinion, it's backfiring. we're losing what makes Tony special.. Let's be honest Tony Pollard is an average running back right now if you look at him as a starter like 4 yards per carry less than a handful of touchdowns,

I mean zeke was doing this on one leg... This isn't knocking Tony, I think he's being misused and I'm not sure why I mean at least I want to see Rico and Tony in the backfield together more also want to see hunter in front of both of them more.

I mean not using the full back and running more especially inside the five yard line and throwing passes, i dont know...hmm
Pollard is definitely miscast as a workhorse, inside zone runner. They have be calling more runs and pitches to the outside, which they have seen more success. What I have seen with Pollard is when a cut back lane opens, he rarely sees it and runs through the wrong hole. Also, it is obvious when they run the football when Dak takes a snap under center. Scheme, better inside runner with instincts and perhaps an upgrade at Center is needed to fix this rushing attack.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You know the Leonard thing is weird I mean everyone's counting on the guy that we have no idea how he's gonna fit in here does he have anything left just being a veteran maybe a wise linebacker roaming the middle with a little bit of athleticism I mean I don't know, I mean I don't even know if he's coming here but if he does come here it's still gonna be an X Factor whether he makes a difference...

It is odd I don't see a whole bunch of posts on social media are here about the fact that he went to the meeting in Philly and left without a contract wasn't that a knock on Jerry that he didn't sign him even though we all knew he was gonna make both visits before he made a decision...

Most of the reports I've seen is he's leaning towards Dallas... But most reports are pro Dallas, so I don't know... I guess if Jerry calls him up and says hey I promise you're the immediate starting middle linebacker with the green dot on your hat you can have as much playing time as you think you can handle then maybe he comes here but if he has to battle through Clark and Evans I don't think that's what he wants...

Truthfully I don't know anything about Leonard except for his reputation from his first three years in the league but what he's become I have no idea who he is....
What I do know is, he is a legitimate LB not a Safety who lacks size that does possess legitimate instincts, which is very important for that position as they see plays before it happens. Remember, Gus Bradley comes from Seattle and runs a similar scheme to Quinn. Even if Leonard is 75% of his former self, he would help against these bigger fronts we will be facing over the next month and in the playoffs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This whole NFC playoffs is quickly becoming who executes getting off the ball quickly has the advantage. Dak Prescott at present, is the best and the Dallas offense from the start of season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Main thing I would caution on our defense is no matter whose system you use (ESPN, PFF, NFL Scouts, Etc)… our pass rush is almost always graded as the #1 in the NFL, and many of the losing teams we faced had some of the worst pass blocking offensive lines in the league this year, AND we also faced some of the worst starting and backup QBs on those same teams. Not to take anything away from our defense, but you’re always going to look good in that situation. The better the opponent’s OLine, the worse our defense looks. We’re not going to demolish those winning teams we’re about to face, but I hope they are not all as close as the Eagles and Seahawks games. My blood pressure can’t take it!