Defense is the off season word

cowboygo

Reaction score
Kyle pitts would be an excellent pick for the Cowboys superbowl run in 3 years with new coaching staff.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
People are healing and will be back. They are good enough to win. Throw the kitchen sink at the "D" side of the ball this year. I don't care if the "lamb" pick is there at great value this time. Dallas needs DT's and finally a safety. Throw in a good LB and call it good. jerry and I are long in the tooth, please don't get cute now.

source.gif

Yes, with the exception of these scenarios at 10:

• Tyron retires and Sewell somehow slips to 10. I'm not trading up for him.
  • My board is destroyed (Farley and Surtain gone and no fair/realistic trade down offers) and Pitts is there.

I take those players in those very specific situations. If an elite player presents himself, you take him.

That should have been a sign to the Jones boys when they got a call from the Rams who wanted to trade away from the #1 CB (Claiborne), despite CB being a huge need for them. If that player was elite, the Rams would have taken him. The Rams ended up right... and the Jones? Once again, wrong.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I tend to agree. Which in all likelihood both ot will be gone and possibly parsons and surtain or Farley. Pitts could be best on the board. Look at Kansas City with top flight offense and middle of the pack defense.
KC’s defense is NOT middle of the pack. They have above average talent and one of the best Defensive Coordinators.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Draft a new LT and maybe a LG and then the rest defense, but definitely a LT

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The needs on the O-line detract from focusing on the defense as needs to be done in the draft. This is why FA will be so important this offseason.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
KC’s defense is NOT middle of the pack. They have above average talent and one of the best Defensive Coordinators.
I understand what you’re saying and I agree but ranking wise, every category they’re around 16th ranking. Going by that they’re middle of the pack but with the naked eye and coaching it’s different.

Swagger

Reaction score
I think they play at a high level when it matters, especially in the play offs. As bad as Allen played in the AFC Championship game, the KC Defense played very well - higher than their supposed ranking.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Defense?

thsts what many of us said last year and we ended up spending three of seven picks on offense, including our first and a fourth

We’ll see if Jerry and Stephen got the message this time around but I’m not hopeful

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Neither drafting just for need or just bpa is a valid draft strategy. Lions drafted bpa receivers (or at least very highly rated) 3 years in a row and where did that get them? Cowboys took Taco and where did that get them?

But then you had Aikman drafted for need, Dorsett drafted for need (though you could argue he was also the bpa, Heisman trophy winner and college rushing career leader). Lamb drafted as bpa even though you had Cooper and Gallup, and that worked out well at least as far as his contribution to the team.

Sometimes need or bpa is the way to go in a particular year, just not a good overall strategy...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think they play at a high level when it matters, especially in the play offs. As bad as Allen played in the AFC Championship game, the KC Defense played very well - higher than their supposed ranking.

Yes I said to my wife the KC defense needed to "step it up" if they were going to beat the Bills, and by golly they did...

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You take BPA at premium positions that way you don't spend a fortune in Free Agency.

That's why premium positions go so high and when you take a RB it's pretty stupid because good RB's are plentiful and it's more about volume than talent when it comes to their production anyways.

Positional value is also something a lot of people overlook when it comes to drafting (outside of qb).

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Now with Parsons having off-field concerns, that could remove another defensive option at 10. I wasn't interested in Parsons at 10 anyway but a lot of people here were. Unless you are open to taking offense at 10 it seems like Farley, Surtain, or trade back are the only good options now. I would still draft a receiver if we could flip Gallup for a defender or a 2nd/3rd round pick.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Defense?

thsts what many of us said last year and we ended up spending three of seven picks on offense, including our first and a fourth

We’ll see if Jerry and Stephen got the message this time around but I’m not hopeful

The draft last year wouldn't have been so heavy on offense, imho, but for Lamb dropping down to being available at 17. The second and third picks were both defense, after the third round the players' rankings don't vary that much, so need came into play. Certainly with Frederick retiring center became a big need, so that made Biadasz a good choice.

But 4 of 7 picks were defense, that's over half, if you wanted all defense then you'd be ignoring the bpa consideration, no way every defensive player left after no. 123 (Robinson, cb) is the bpa over every other offensive player left.

4 of 7 defensive picks was fine with me, it's not like Dallas ignored defense in the draft...