Defensive Alignments

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the modern era, Nickel is the primary defensive alignment played by NFL defenses.

The 4-3 and 3-4 terminology is obsolete.

The formation below is similar to a 3-4 front 5, but it is Nickel with only 1 ILB.

If Armstrong is called an OLB in this alignment, then it is a 3-3-5 Nickel.

A better designation would be 3-2-1-5 in the format DL-OLB-ILB-DB

The front 5 is similar to the front 5 in a 3-4; however, because it is Nickel there is only 1 ILB.

People that keep insisting that the Cowboys should run a 3-4 don't understand what they're saying.
- Teams cannot play Nickel from a 3-4 alignment.

This alignment is really what people want when they say 3-4 (i.e. Parsons in a role similar to a 3-4 OLB).

The front 5 from left to right:
Parsons-DLaw-Hamilton-Odighi-Armstrong

The two 2nd level players are LB Vander Esch and SS Kearse.

CCBoy

Reaction score
In the modern era, Nickel is the primary defensive alignment played by NFL defenses.

The formation below is similar to a 3-4 front 5, but it is Nickel with only 1 ILB.

The front 5 is similar to the front 5 in a 3-4; however, because it is Nickel there is only 1 ILB.

People that keep insisting that the Cowboys should run a 3-4 don't understand what they're saying.

This alignment is really what people want when they say 3-4 (i.e. Parsons in a role similar to a 3-4 OLB).

Get Gregory back on the carpet along with Lawrence, and the starter at defensive tackle as well, and Dallas may just get a lot tougher to move against. I don't think that Parsons will lose a step back at linebacker and stunts lit up.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Still looks like 4-3. Just because Armstrong standing up doesn't make it a 3-4.

He is just playing the LEO in Seahawks 4-3.

Niners under Bill Walsh also had their weakside DE stand up, called an Elephant. Pete Carroll is very much influenced by Seifert and Kiffen 4-3.

DQ is still from Carroll tree.

And there are also different types of 3-4.

You can absolutely play nickel in Phillips 3-4.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

What???

That's not a Nickle D.

In American football, a nickel defense is any defensive alignment that uses five defensive backs, of whom the fifth is known as a nickelback. The original and most common form of the nickel defense features four down linemen and two linebackers.

Instead, what we see is actually a 5-2 defensive formation.

In American football, the 5–2 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of five down linemen and two linebackers.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
What???

That's not a Nickle D.

In American football, a nickel defense is any defensive alignment that uses five defensive backs, of whom the fifth is known as a nickelback. The original and most common form of the nickel defense features four down linemen and two linebackers.

Instead, what we see is actually a 5-2 formation.

In Nickel, Nickelback replaces one LB or DL of base defense.

Nickel formations usually look like 4-2-5 or 3-3-5.

And Big Nickel is when 3 of the 5 DBs are safeties, 2 nickelbacks replace either 2 LB or 1 LB and 1 DL.

Cowboys need a Woodson type that can provide smother coverage on TE and WR while not being liability vs run.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Niners under Bill Walsh also had their weakside DE stand up, called an Elephant. Pete Carroll is very much influenced by Seifert and Kiffen 4-3.

No, it is literally impossible to play Nickel in a 3-4.

Nickel means 5 DBs.

3-4 means 7 Non-DBs.

7 + 5 = 12

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What???

That's not a Nickle D.

Instead, what we see is actually a 5-2 defensive formation.

In American football, the 5–2 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of five down linemen and two linebackers.

These players are all on the field in the image I posted:
Diggs
Brown
Lewis
Kearse
Kazee

That is 5 DBs which makes it Nickel.

As I posted in the OP, the two 2nd level players are Vander Esch and Kearse.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
These players are all on the field in the image I posted:
Diggs
Brown
Lewis
Kearse
Kazee

That is 5 DBs which makes it Nickel.

As I posted in the OP, the two 2nd level players are Vander Esch and Kearse.
No. Kearse is being used as a LB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From my OP:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There are still only 2 Safeties on the Field (Kearse and Kazee).

Nickel is defined by the number of DBs on the field, not by where those DBs align.
The fact so many people are arguing only proves your original point....the traditional 4-3 / 3-4 definitions are dead, it's all become a hybrid model to some extent. We have had the DE/OLB and DT/DE hybrid for years, now the LB/S hybrid is quickly becoming the norm.

NFL defenses have just become too complex to box them into old school terminology

Macnalty

Reaction score

You are correct and I for sure have bandied going to a 3-4 if you really want to see Parsons's full potential, to be clear that it is just to Parsons' advantage that I state that. The rest of the team would suffer greatly. thanks for bringing up this point.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Nope. You're wrong.
I've got to agree with X on this one. As an offense I care about the personnel in the huddle. I mean if I catch the defense sleeping and put in a 3rd WR and they don't substitute and they have to run a play with a backer covering the slot receiver does he count as a DB on that play? Does a backer now showing blitz count as a lineman? Maybe i'm missing the argument completely here, IDK.

It works the same way for an offense. If the offense sends out 12 personnel into the huddle that will dictate the defensive formation that I call. Just because they line up a RB out wide doesnt change that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I've got to agree with X on this one. As an offense I care about the personnel in the huddle. I mean if I catch the defense sleeping and put in a 3rd WR and they don't substitute and they have to run a play with a backer covering the slot receiver does he count as a DB on that play? Does a backer now showing blitz count as a lineman? Maybe i'm missing the argument completely here, IDK.

It works the same way for an offense. If the offense sends out 12 personnel into the huddle that will dictate the defensive formation that I call. Just because they line up a RB out wide doesnt change that.
Nope. As an ex-Center myself, you don't worry about if it's a DB or actual LB ligning up at a LB position...or an Edge LB or actual DE lining up at a Dline position. You call the opposing D alignment as you see the players at certain spots, then run your blocking assignments as so.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You can line up a db as a sniper and it is a 3-4. I used it all the time. It's all b s ......you can call it anything you want....
I think thats the whole point of the thread though, the terminology is pointless leading the fans to argue for something that really doesnt exist anymore. Whats on paper vs whats aligned. If you are doing a 3-3 w/ a sniper on paper that player is going to be a S, presnap its probably read as a LB though.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
No, it is literally impossible to play Nickel in a 3-4.

Nickel means 5 DBs.

3-4 means 7 Non-DBs.

7 + 5 = 12

Nickelbacks are just smaller LBs that cover, pass rush or tackle.

And in Phillips 3-4, Cowboys are one gapping just like they would in DQ's 4-3 hybrid.

Don't get stuck on semantics.

Lots of teams are using LB/S hybrids now like JOK, Thomas Davis, Lavonte David, Neal, etc.

Are they nickelbacks or LBs???

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
From my OP:

Armstrong is a stand up end.

Do you have any evidence that Armstrong is any threat to drop into coverage.

Armstrong is a rush end, standing up or with hand in dirt.

It makes no never mind.