Defensive Alignments

LovinItAll

Reaction score
In the modern era, Nickel is the primary defensive alignment played by NFL defenses.

The 4-3 and 3-4 terminology is obsolete.

The formation below is similar to a 3-4 front 5, but it is Nickel with only 1 ILB.

If Armstrong is called an OLB in this alignment, then it is a 3-3-5 Nickel.

A better designation would be 3-2-1-5 in the format DL-OLB-ILB-DB

The front 5 is similar to the front 5 in a 3-4; however, because it is Nickel there is only 1 ILB.

People that keep insisting that the Cowboys should run a 3-4 don't understand what they're saying.
- Teams cannot play Nickel from a 3-4 alignment.

This alignment is really what people want when they say 3-4 (i.e. Parsons in a role similar to a 3-4 OLB).

The front 5 from left to right:
Parsons-DLaw-Hamilton-Odighi-Armstrong

The two 2nd level players are LB Vander Esch and SS Kearse.

You’re going WELL beyond a typical fan’s knowledge of the game, and if they didn’t understand your post before, they aren’t going to take the time to understand it now.

Same on the offensive side of the ball. The ‘Zeke is washed’ crowd has seemed to miss the atrocious run blocking, and that’s just the start.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I love it when he thinks he can lecture to us.
Everyone is struggling to define Parsons' aptitude and worth to this team and I think you will agree we have not seen all his talent edges at this point in his career. Thank god you were able to spot him early and define his potential.

J-man

Reaction score
IMHO, who the hell cares? Just tackle the RB (preferably for a loss), intercept or knock the ball down, sack the QB

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong is a stand up end.

Do you have any evidence that Armstrong is any threat to drop into coverage.

Armstrong is a rush end, standing up or with hand in dirt.

It makes no never mind.

You're making my point for me. The 4-3, 3-4 terminology is meaningless in the modern era.

Something like my suggestion would make more sense:
DL-OLB-ILB-DB

With Armstrong as a Stand Up DE, that formation is really:
4-1-1-5

If Parsons is back next to LVE, then:
4-0-2-5

They track the stats for where players align.
- You've probably seen the listings of when Parsons aligns for games (Pass Rusher, LB, etc.)
- They might as well come up with a way to track actual defensive alignments if they're tracking individual player alignments.
- Obviously there are limits with regards to issues like Stand Up DE vs OLB.
- The stats sites would need to use the player's roster position to delineate a Stand Up DE from OLB.

FYI, Armstrong has dropped into coverage multiple times this season.
- All of the Stand Up DEs have done it.
- They did it much more early in the season but Quinn tweaked his original defense as the season progressed.

Armstrong dropped into coverage far too often last season.
- Over 25% of his snaps were in coverage.
- That's more than DWare ever dropped into coverage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. You're wrong.
There a multiple entitles that track stats for Nickel, Dime, Base.

They all define Nickel as 5 DBs on the field.

The Cowboys coaches call that formation Nickel...

When they replace CB Lewis with Safety Hooker or Wilson they call it Big Nickel.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There a multiple entitles that track stats for Nickel, Dime, Base.

They all define Nickel as 5 DBs on the field.

The Cowboys coaches call that formation Nickel...

When they replace CB Lewis with Safety Hooker or Wilson they call it Big Nickel.
What is it that you fail to understand?

As a fan critiquing a defensive formation after a game is played, you can get into the semantics of what to call a defensive formation based on which players you notice aligned in which spots on tape. But during a game while playing on the field, as a Center who has to call out the defensive formation shown by the Dline and LBers, you don't worry about whether an actual Safety or LB is playing at a LB spot. The same goes for a LB playing as an Edge rusher or an actual DE. All you worry about is what spots are being shown along the Dline and LB formations to determine what actual defensive formation to call in order to block against.

Do you understand that or not?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Nope. As an ex-Center myself, you don't worry about if it's a DB or actual LB ligning up at a LB position...or an Edge LB or actual DE lining up at a Dline position. You call the opposing D alignment as you see the players at certain spots, then run your blocking assignments as so.
Gotta give you props as this is a really good point. It really comes down to perspective. To a Center this is absolutely a 5-2 look, some may even consider it a 4-3 to help identify the Mike?. If i'm a DC i'm looking at it as playing my safety in the box.

Either way this will never truly get resolved as one is arguing what shows up on paper, the other a physical alignment. We are looking at two different things here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nickel is just an alignment.

Just like a 4-3 & a 3-4.

Defenses matchup with offenses.

So as long as everyone is running 3 wideouts you’re going to see the majority of teams in nickel.

4/3 and 3/4 doesn’t really matter anymore.