Defensive Ends

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Quinn a FA that might price himself out, and Randy Gregory not someone to count, defensive end could very well be a position we look at at pick 17.

Hard to tell what players grades will be right now, but it looks like guys like Epenasa, Chaisson, Gross- Matos and Baun are getting the most round 1 looks.

What DE's do you like in round 1?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'd be fine with any of the big 4 at 17. Epenesa and Chaisson probably go before 17. Gross-Matos and Terrell Lewis would both be fine picks and certainly a need. I like Anfernee Jennings and Baun in the second round.

James Lynch from Baylor jut recently declared for the draft. He was a fantastic DE at Baylor and will be high on my list, but I think he's a 3T in the NFL.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I don't like him at 17, but a name I'm warming up to is Florida Edge Jonathan Greenard. Maybe see if he's still there when we pick in the second.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't like him at 17, but a name I'm warming up to is Florida Edge Jonathan Greenard. Maybe see if he's still there when we pick in the second.
2nd seems early for him. I know others don't have as much of an issue with it as I do...but he'll be 23 in May. As a 22 y.o., you should be pretty dominant in college, because you're just physically better than other guys.

I just worry about upside for guys like that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't particularly like any of them at 17 lol.

I think Terrell Lewis could end up being the best of the bunch.
Its a weird DE draft. Epenasa and Chaisson are good fits in multiple front scheme, but I think there is alot of projection with them.

Epenasa has good production and a body that can play DE in either a 4 or 3 man front, but he is all bull rush right now. He isnt a stiff player, so he could develop into a more rounded rusher. But right now he is a bull rusher

Chaisson has alot of potential, and should be able to rush with his hand in the dirt, or standing up. But he has very little production in college.

cowboyec

Reaction score
in Rd 1 my guy is Yetur Gross-Matos,Penn St...6'5...solid player...I'm a life-long too tall Jones homer so I'm a sucker for DEs 6'5 or taller.

after Rd 1...others I like...
both those syracuse kids...Alton Robinson and Kendell Coleman.
☆Jabari Zuniga,Florida
☆Khalid Kareem,Notre Dame
☆Jason Strowbridge,North Carolina
☆Marlon Davidson,Auburn
☆Joe Gaziano,Northwestern
☆Kenny Willekes,Michigan St
☆DJ Wonnum,South Carolina
☆Delonte Scott,Smu

cnuball21

Reaction score
Epenesa is our best shot. After him, I like Weaver in a trade down scenario.

Not a very strong class for round 1 guys.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd be fine with any of the big 4 at 17. Epenesa and Chaisson probably go before 17. Gross-Matos and Terrell Lewis would both be fine picks and certainly a need. I like Anfernee Jennings and Baun in the second round.

James Lynch from Baylor jut recently declared for the draft. He was a fantastic DE at Baylor and will be high on my list, but I think he's a 3T in the NFL.

I have Chaisson listed at 238 pounds, is that right? But Matos is a good pick if Kinlaw isn't there.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score

Lynch I like...can play inside or out. Crawford replacement?

Creeper

Reaction score
I would be shocked if one of Brown, Gallimore or Kinlaw is not available at 17. If so, I would be disappointed if they took a DE there instead of a DT. I would even consider OL at 17 before I would take one of those DEs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I would be shocked if one of Brown, Gallimore or Kinlaw is not available at 17. If so, I would be disappointed if they took a DE there instead of a DT. I would even consider OL at 17 before I would take one of those DEs.

Brown will be long gone before we pick and Gallimore would be a big reach.

Kinlaw MIGHT be there, but we also need to make sure the knee is ok.

DE is a need, whether we sign Quinn or we don't...he's a stop gap FA.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You had a chance to check out Weaver from BSU yet? Not saying at 17, just in general.
love weaver, ANAE and Robinson. UCHE is another. WEAVER has some great high FB IQ. ALWAYS making plays and sure tackler

Rayman70

Reaction score
Gallimore I would take at 17, come back in round 2 and get Alton Robinson, round 3 BPA.

DanA

Reaction score
You had a chance to check out Weaver from BSU yet? Not saying at 17, just in general.

He's the one I like the most. Really good football instincts and a natural feel for pass-rushing but I think he's a project. His technique looks all over the place and l think he's gonna test poorly. Good size and natural strength but doesn't look like he works too hard in the weight room.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's the one I like the most. Really good football instincts and a natural feel for pass-rushing but I think he's a project. His technique looks all over the place and l think he's gonna test poorly. Good size and natural strength but doesn't look like he works too hard in the weight room.

His body type does look a little questionable, but man he can get off the ball and turn the edge. 2 years in a row of elite production as well.

If he throws up a solid 10 yard split and 3 cone I could see him going end of 1st.

DanA

Reaction score
His body type does look a little questionable, but man he can get off the ball and turn the edge. 2 years in a row of elite production as well.

If he throws up a solid 10 yard split and 3 cone I could see him going end of 1st.

Definately agree with that. His first step looks excellent. It just seems to me that the guys that love the gym room test the best (Byron Jones, Saquon Barkley etc). I think he's gonna probably have a good 20 yard split but mediocre 40.

A good nutrition program and NFL weight program and in a few years every front office could be wondering how they missed this guy. I'd take him in the 2nd or as a trade back target but 17 feels rich for a project.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Definately agree with that. His first step looks excellent. It just seems to me that the guys that love the gym room test the best (Byron Jones, Saquon Barkley etc). I think he's gonna probably have a good 20 yard split but mediocre 40.

A good nutrition program and NFL weight program and in a few years every front office could be wondering how they missed this guy. I'd take him in the 2nd or as a trade back target but 17 feels rich for a project.

Agreed