Defensive front or back field

J-man

Reaction score
IMO, in today's NFL the answer is both. The offenses can get the ball out so quickly nowadays that a good pass rush can at times be negated rather easily. You need good, tight coverage especially early, for the pass rush to succeed regularly.
But a weak pass rush will always hinder even a strong secondary because they can't cover for ever.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
IMO, in today's NFL the answer is both. The offenses can get the ball out so quickly nowadays that a good pass rush can at times be negated rather easily. You need good, tight coverage especially early, for the pass rush to succeed regularly.
But a weak pass rush will always hinder even a strong secondary because they can't cover for ever.

100% agree, but the post asked which one, if you had to pick, what would be your answer?

You don't have to answer, I'm just curious as to all the views...

JBS

Reaction score
The game has changed. People don't even realize it. People in here still think you build a defense as if the league was still in the 80s..it's incorrect..you build from back to front..teams are playing much more spread offense, more weapons, ball is out quicker..you need to build from back to front

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We are thin everywhere on defense.

If we're talking draft, there are CBs talented enough to take at 10, but not DTs imo.

J-man

Reaction score
100% agree, but the post asked which one, if you had to pick, what would be your answer?

You don't have to answer, I'm just curious as to all the views...

If you have a weak pass rush, your good secondary is still toast so give me pass rush.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We are thin everywhere on defense.

If we're talking draft, there are CBs talented enough to take at 10, but not DTs imo.

The DTs in the draft either have only pass rushing or run stopping ability, but not both. Barmore might develop into that, but he might not.
So no DT in the first round should be selected...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Even though it pains me to say it, the front 7 can help the back end way more than the other way around. The secondary can't cover the whole field for 7-8 seconds so if your front can't get home it doesn't matter who you have in the secondary.. eventually the QB will find somebody. The notable exception of course being in the red zone when things are compressed. Defending a 10-15 yard field is just easier than defending a 75 yard field. If you have hosses up front who are constantly getting to the QB, forcing bad throws, speeding up his decision clock then you damn near can put a good high school secondary back there and be okay.