Defensive strategy when strong offense but weak defense

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The Cowboys offense will be Top 5 in the league, no doubt of it. But the defense leaves much to be desired.

The maxim is that the best defense is a good offense. Since that is the case, the Dallas defense will be designed to protect a lead, not claw the Boys' offense back from a deficit.

• The offense must milk time of possession for as long as possible to keep the defense rested. Even a mediocre defense can (in theory) play well if they only have to be on the field for 20 minutes instead of 35. Zeke must take advantage of how Lamb, Gallup and Cooper opening up run-favorable defenses for him.
  • Since opposing offenses will (in theory) be trailing Dallas most of the time, they will have to throw the ball most of the time. This will let the Dallas defense get away with blitzing more, pinning their ears back and going after the QB and not worrying much about stopping the run.
  • With quarterbacks having to throw a lot more, Cowboys DBs will have many more chances for INTs, and can also play more of a 5-7 yard cushion back. (Sadly, none of our defensive backs are ballhawks, except for perhaps Clinton-Dix.)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys offense will be Top 5 in the league, no doubt of it. But the defense leaves much to be desired.

The maxim is that the best defense is a good offense. Since that is the case, the Dallas defense will be designed to protect a lead, not claw the Boys' offense back from a deficit.

• The offense must milk time of possession for as long as possible to keep the defense rested. Even a mediocre defense can (in theory) play well if they only have to be on the field for 20 minutes instead of 35. Zeke must take advantage of how Lamb, Gallup and Cooper opening up run-favorable defenses for him.
  • Since opposing offenses will (in theory) be trailing Dallas most of the time, they will have to throw the ball most of the time. This will let the Dallas defense get away with blitzing more, pinning their ears back and going after the QB and not worrying much about stopping the run.
  • With quarterbacks having to throw a lot more, Cowboys DBs will have many more chances for INTs, and can also play more of a 5-7 yard cushion back. (Sadly, none of our defensive backs are ballhawks, except for perhaps Clinton-Dix.)
We have actually ranked 8th, 7th and 9th in total yards the last 3 years. However 2017 and 2019 were evidence that yardage is misleading as those weren't good units. All three of those season they have to do things on that side of the ball that consistently turn games. Mainly creating turnovers.

I wouldn't abandon hope that we cant turn out a quality unit in the next couple years.

Ball control offense has been our philosophy in the past ( and probably a reason why some of those yardage are low). However I think a more potent passing game may be the better tonic. Score points and force teams to be more agressive in order to keep up. If our pass rush performs(which I think it can), early down passing could lead to some 3rd and very longs that are a breeding ground for TO's

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Diggs showed good ball skills as a SR, so there is some that he will be able turn into a DB that can make plays on the ball. He is also a former WR

luckyman76

Reaction score
We have actually ranked 8th, 7th and 9th in total yards the last 3 years. However 2017 and 2019 were evidence that yardage is misleading as those weren't good units. All three of those season they have to do things on that side of the ball that consistently turn games. Mainly creating turnovers.

I wouldn't abandon hope that we cant turn out a quality unit in the next couple years.

Ball control offense has been our philosophy in the past ( and probably a reason why some of those yardage are low). However I think a more potent passing game may be the better tonic. Score points and force teams to be more aggressive in order to keep up. If our pass rush performs(which I think it can), early down passing could lead to some 3rd and very longs that are a breeding ground for TO's

You hit it here. Beginning with Linehan we organized our offense around protecting our piss poor D. That is why we were always so predictable. You want to play ball control, ground and pound in the 4th but we did it the entire game. It forced us to water down our O to mostly run and predictably on downs because we needed possessions to ALWAYS be successful in some clock management and every team knew it. If everything went right we mauled teams and when it didn't we usually lost. You could see that resumed last year after the first 3 games. We were playing the Saints and Ginger reasserted himself in playing conservative. We need to organize our O around O. The D needs to get better without stunting the whole team. Having a few extra TD cushion with a D that will give up some points but be aggressive is a better match. Teams will have to throw and open themselves up for a better matched D to that philosophy instead of the milquetoast bend but don't break Tampa 2 that just wears your D out. We can align ourselves to be aggressive on both sides with scoring and pass rush, sacks, TOs, and a massive front line that will stop the run and then remove it completely once teams are behind. This D can convince teams to become one-dimensional. Our D has to be centered around stopping the run, PRESSURE, NO FREEBIES, and tackling. As witnessed in the secondary video our D was aligned to automatically give up short outs. That was teams running games until our D was worn out. We relied on 12+ play drives for success and allowed teams 12+ play drives. It statistically removed our chances for success because every drive had more risk. I would rather we scored in 5 and they scored in 5 or turn it over on downs or TOs. That is why we NEVER have TOs. NO RISK.

Ginger tried to emulate the 90s Cowboys but he forgot that the first parts of games how many times we scored on initial drives in 5-6 plays with Irvin and Harper getting 20 yard out routes. It was methodical, fast, and deadly and that is how we put teams behind the 8ball. It wasn't a 4th Qtr offense. Our D this year is a work in process. I think we can be top 10 at best and I think we will be much better against the run, likely give up the same number of passing TDs/big plays but have a ton more sacks and TOs to offset those losses.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Strategy will only get you so far. You can't fake your way to a title relying on putting up 40 every week.

Some people think the Chiefs did that, but the truth is they got over the hump last year because of defense:

2018 - 421 points allowed (24th)
2019 - 308 points allowed (7th)

Look at that, a top 10 offense AND top ten defense = SB champs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the defense leaves much to be desired.
You might be selling the defense short for 2 reasons. They have put considerable resources into that side of the ball this year. On paper this is the best defense the Cowboys have had in a while. Getting rid of Marinelli/Richard and their failed defense will help considerably also. Overall if the defense can allow 20 or less points per game, the Cowboys will win often.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Strategy will only get you so far. You can't fake your way to a title relying on putting up 40 every week.

Some people think the Chiefs did that, but the truth is they got over the hump last year because of defense:

2018 - 421 points allowed (24th)
2019 - 308 points allowed (7th)

Look at that, a top 10 offense AND top ten defense = SB champs.
Their defense wasn't good, they just played garbage offenses. A modern NFL defense is really only as good/bad as the opponents it faces.

Dallas' defense just needs to create more turnovers. It has been very good the last couple of years for what they try to do.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You might be selling the defense short for 2 reasons. They have put considerable resources into that side of the ball this year. On paper this is the best defense the Cowboys have had in a while. Getting rid of Marinelli/Richard and their failed defense will help considerably also. Overall if the defense can allow 20 or less points per game, the Cowboys will win often.
Huh? They lost a top-5 corner, top-5 pass rusher, and made lateral moves elsewhere. On paper, the defense is considerably worse than it was last year.

If it improves, it's because they have an improved scheme, but the talent is not better.

Creeper

Reaction score
I like the strategy of keeping the pressure on an racking u points. Make the other offense one dimensional. But to do this the defense has to be able to get off the field. Last year, the Cowboys D was unable to do this consistently enough.

I expect the D to be better this year, particularly on 1st and 3rd down. If not then they have no choice but to hold the football, keep the game close and hope they get the ball last.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? They lost a top-5 corner, top-5 pass rusher, and made lateral moves elsewhere. On paper, the defense is considerably worse than it was last year.

If it improves, it's because they have an improved scheme, but the talent is not better.

Kind of agree and yet disagree.

I disagree it is considerably worse than last year on paper. I think on paper there is a slight improvement, maybe more than slight. Not huge but slight. But it also depends how quick these rookies play like we hope they do.

Agree that it should improve from coaching and scheme change, however I think the talent is not any worse than before. There are a few areas that we need to see what happens. With a difference defense, it will not be so predictable for offense to know what they are doing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You hit it here. Beginning with Linehan we organized our offense around protecting our piss poor D. That is why we were always so predictable. You want to play ball control, ground and pound in the 4th but we did it the entire game. It forced us to water down our O to mostly run and predictably on downs because we needed possessions to ALWAYS be successful in some clock management and every team knew it. If everything went right we mauled teams and when it didn't we usually lost. You could see that resumed last year after the first 3 games. We were playing the Saints and Ginger reasserted himself in playing conservative. We need to organize our O around O. The D needs to get better without stunting the whole team. Having a few extra TD cushion with a D that will give up some points but be aggressive is a better match. Teams will have to throw and open themselves up for a better matched D to that philosophy instead of the milquetoast bend but don't break Tampa 2 that just wears your D out. We can align ourselves to be aggressive on both sides with scoring and pass rush, sacks, TOs, and a massive front line that will stop the run and then remove it completely once teams are behind. This D can convince teams to become one-dimensional. Our D has to be centered around stopping the run, PRESSURE, NO FREEBIES, and tackling. As witnessed in the secondary video our D was aligned to automatically give up short outs. That was teams running games until our D was worn out. We relied on 12+ play drives for success and allowed teams 12+ play drives. It statistically removed our chances for success because every drive had more risk. I would rather we scored in 5 and they scored in 5 or turn it over on downs or TOs. That is why we NEVER have TOs. NO RISK.

Ginger tried to emulate the 90s Cowboys but he forgot that the first parts of games how many times we scored on initial drives in 5-6 plays with Irvin and Harper getting 20 yard out routes. It was methodical, fast, and deadly and that is how we put teams behind the 8ball. It wasn't a 4th Qtr offense. Our D this year is a work in process. I think we can be top 10 at best and I think we will be much better against the run, likely give up the same number of passing TDs/big plays but have a ton more sacks and TOs to offset those losses.

What kind of coach wants his offense to be geared around a bad D? LOL

Garrett is the worst HC the NFL has ever seen.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Kind of agree and yet disagree.

I disagree it is considerably worse than last year on paper. I think on paper there is a slight improvement, maybe more than slight. Not huge but slight. But it also depends how quick these rookies play like we hope they do.

Agree that it should improve from coaching and scheme change, however I think the talent is not any worse than before. There are a few areas that we need to see what happens. With a difference defense, it will not be so predictable for offense to know what they are doing.
I can't buy a single argument that on paper this defense is better. They lost two of their three best players, and made no upgrades.

Smith and Gregory are wildcards I guess, that could change things, but as of right now there is no way.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Are you kidding, the offense was already ranked #1 and it has only gotten better. They aren't "top 5" they are the best.

As for the defense, they have much to improve upon but the coaching change and new talent suggest they will be greatly improved. They should be able to stifle any passing or running attack enough to keep the Cowboys in control of any game. They won't be weak this year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't buy a single argument that on paper this defense is better. They lost two of their three best players, and made no upgrades.

Smith and Gregory are wildcards I guess, that could change things, but as of right now there is no way.

I am not expecting great things from Smith and / or Gregory until I see it on the field. This is definitely weaker than last year on paper.
Diggs / Worley over Jones, need to see that too, but the upside is there.
Potential if they still have it, Poe, McCoy, how fast Gallimore catches on is much better than last year. I will say skip the potential, it is already better.

How they line up the S's, Woods / Dix is better than Wood / Heath. Wilson in his 2nd year will be better.

As I said, IMO they are slightly better. Not trying to convince you otherwise, just giving my thoughts as of today.
Talent / Roster, really about the same until we see the on the field. But certainly not worse.

Quinn, we lost sacks, but not run support, Jones, great in coverage though no picks. When he was playing hurt, we seen the drop-off. so until shown otherwise we are worse off there. But Diggs may be the player that can make up for most of that loss even as a rookie.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Lol Byron was not a top 5 corner. And Quinn was a quality pass rusher but he ranked bottom in the league against the run. Considering the upgrades to the interior of the d line it could be better.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I appreciate the positive insights, but I prefer to let the defense play at least a snap of football before proclaiming how bad they'll be, especially given all the new faces.

I just hope the defense goes out with the intention of dictating to the other team, even if it doesn't work some of the time.