Defensive strategy when strong offense but weak defense

Jeffkills

Reaction score
One nice feather we have in our cap is that LVE will return to form and have a great year...

That alone is a huge impact.

DanA

Reaction score
first of all who cares about probowl...second, when was the last time Dix, Lee, Poe, McCoy, A. Smith were in the probowl?

I can't comment on who cares but them having been to the Pro-bowl shows at least they have a certain football acumen. In Mike Nolan's defense, which has been reported to be a lot more complicated in terms of defenses and disguises, veteran guys that can execute the game plan could matter and whether they did it 10 weeks ago or 10 years ago they've still got the football intelligence required to get there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can't comment on who cares but them having been to the Pro-bowl shows at least they have a certain football acumen. In Mike Nolan's defense, which has been reported to be a lot more complicated in terms of defenses and disguises, veteran guys that can execute the game plan could matter and whether they did it 10 weeks ago or 10 years ago they've still got the football intelligence required to get there.
but even if probowls are important, when was the last time those players were in the probowl? A. Smith has been out of the league for 4 years...counting on him to be a main cog of the defense is a big mistake to begin with...this is not madden football, you can't just give a player a score/grade or what ever it is they give them and see them perform at a high level....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This has basically always been the problem with HaHa. He doesn't play with much football acumen.

As for Poe and McCoy...sure I guess. But DTs have to defeat blocks to execute any plan, and it is hard to trust their athleticism, at this stage, to do that.

DanA

Reaction score
but even if probowls are important, when was the last time those players were in the probowl? A. Smith has been out of the league for 4 years...counting on him to be a main cog of the defense is a big mistake to begin with...this is not madden football, you can't just give a player a score/grade or what ever it is they give them and see them perform at a high level....

If he's a main cog he's gonna have to earn it....nobody is counting on him. RDE is the most competitive position on the roster with Crawford, A.Smith, Gregory, Anae, Armstrong, Jelks Jackson and Ron'Dell Carter competing.

This has basically always been the problem with HaHa. He doesn't play with much football acumen.

As for Poe and McCoy...sure I guess. But DTs have to defeat blocks to execute any plan, and it is hard to trust their athleticism, at this stage, to do that.

At this stage? Poe is 29. I also diagree with you comments about Haha. He's got an unorthodox tackling style that's a bit suspect but I don't think there's much wrong with his game intelligence.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If he's a main cog he's gonna have to earn it....nobody is counting on him. RDE is the most competitive position on the roster with Crawford, A.Smith, Gregory, Anae, Armstrong, Jelks Jackson and Ron'Dell Carter competing.

none of these names make you go wow. it looks like what I said before, we are throwing numbers at the problem and hoping one or two of them step up and produce consistently....worst case scenario Crawford is the starter.....
At this stage? Poe is 29. I also diagree with you comments about Haha. He's got an unorthodox tackling style that's a bit suspect but I don't think there's much wrong with his game intelligence.

Haha has been bouncing around for a reason....perhaps better than what we had, but not sure by how much. given we only offered him a one year deal tells me we are looking for the eventual long term starter. Awzie's name was thrown in there. that also tells you a lot.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Cowboys offense will be Top 5 in the league, no doubt of it. But the defense leaves much to be desired.

The maxim is that the best defense is a good offense. Since that is the case, the Dallas defense will be designed to protect a lead, not claw the Boys' offense back from a deficit.

• The offense must milk time of possession for as long as possible to keep the defense rested. Even a mediocre defense can (in theory) play well if they only have to be on the field for 20 minutes instead of 35. Zeke must take advantage of how Lamb, Gallup and Cooper opening up run-favorable defenses for him.
  • Since opposing offenses will (in theory) be trailing Dallas most of the time, they will have to throw the ball most of the time. This will let the Dallas defense get away with blitzing more, pinning their ears back and going after the QB and not worrying much about stopping the run.
  • With quarterbacks having to throw a lot more, Cowboys DBs will have many more chances for INTs, and can also play more of a 5-7 yard cushion back. (Sadly, none of our defensive backs are ballhawks, except for perhaps Clinton-Dix.)
My suggestion is pretty simple.

Invest in the best PKer, punter, PRer and be prepared to run some trick plays at timely moments.

Ball control and kicking for points every opportunity will help win. We lost at least 3 games over poorly handling those phases of the game.

We fixed the PKer thing. Not sure if his kickoffs are good enough.

If CeeDee returns kicks as well as catches, that could be huge. We have not had a weapon there since Deion.

Running trick plays was an art under Jimster but zippola anymore.

We need direct snaps to the upman in punt formation, a halfback pass right after halftime and an end around on a kickoff to start the game.

Let other teams know we are coming to get them. Unleash the dogs

Still waiting on all of this.

Waiting.

:huh:

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have been crying, every since Quinn, Jones, and all other top ten players left. Boo hoo, please save us Mr. Know-all Fan! We's be doomed!

bewp7

Reaction score
opportunistic and aggressive it should be...literally the exact opposite of the cowboys no takeaway bend dont break defense last year.