Recap: Defensive Turnovers/Sacks

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know sometimes its seems that our defense is lower-tier but I couldn't believe it when I researched this, the Cowboys lead the league in both Forced Fumbles(15) and Recovered Fumbles(7), and are 4th in the league in sacks (3 of the teams in front of us haven't had a bye week yet) and #13 in YPG given up. This defense stands up positively to just about any in the league. I am excited as the defense rounds into even better form with the rookies getting more experience.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I know sometimes its seems that our defense is lower-tier but I couldn't believe it when I researched this, the Cowboys lead the league in both Forced Fumbles(15) and Recovered Fumbles(7), and are 4th in the league in sacks (3 of the teams in front of us haven't had a bye week yet) and #13 in YPG given up. This defense stands up positively to just about any in the league. I am excited as the defense rounds into even better form with the rookies getting more experience.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense

Don't try to use facts to prove it to the haters.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Different defense with Lee and Hitchens in the game.

I'm excited about what's been happening with our pass rush. But I'm pumping the brakes a little when I see the OLs we've been matched up against. The Commander OL was a mess, the Niners are bad, the GB OL gets by with holding, but they're bad, the Cardinal OL was a mess, and the Giants OL is just horrible.

Now, the positive here is that even with those bad OLs last year's group (and other groups previous) would still not have generated pressure against these bad OLs.

Our secondary is going to get better as the season progresses. We have a ton of youth and new starters back there. Sure they're going to give up plays on occasion. But they seem to do a little better each game out.

When the draft hits, we still need to go defense heavy...especially with DL and LB.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Our DL has been magnificent. If our LB and DB corps find their stride, a la Giants 2008, we have a hellacious team on our hands.

Taco, or otherwise.

Our offense is already there.

Reaction score
The back end of the defense is still a huge concern. Holes everywhere a good QB can exploit.

Our safeties might be the worst in the NFL.

The d-line however is definitely a pleasant surprise. If it wasn't for the pressure, this defense would be giving up 40 points a game. I hope they can keep it up.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I want to hug you and squeeze your cheeks...

(thats a volley, someone!!!)
wTvFlK6.gif

Proximo

Reaction score

Agreed. But if we could just get more INT's it'd give us a better chance to be a legit contender this year. It would make an enormous difference.

Imagine if we would've gotten an INT or two against both the Packers and Rams. We probably win both of those games.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed. But if we could just get more INT's it'd give us a better chance to be a legit contender this year. It would make an enormous difference.

Imagine if we would've gotten an INT or two against both the Packers and Rams. We probably win both of those games.

Definitely I would be happy with more interceptions but fumbles also work just as good

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

New York Giants, we played great defense

Denver Broncos, poor defense

Arizona Cardinals, good defense

LA Rams, terrible defense

Green Bay Packers, terrible defense

San Francisco 49ers, great defense

Washington Commanders, very good defense

Now, look at the teams we played good defense against and then look at the teams we played poor defense against and tell me this defense stands up to "just about any" in the league. The anomaly is Denver, because it does not have a top-notch offense, while Washington actually has a decent offense when it isn't playing in a downpour.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Now, look at the teams we played good defense against and then look at the teams we played poor defense against and tell me this defense stands up to "just about any" in the league. The anomaly is Denver, because it does not have a top-notch offense, while Washington actually has a decent offense when it isn't playing in a downpour.

You play who is in front of you. I could get a fine tooth comb and go through every teams wins/losses and defensive performances and diminish what they did. No team in the league plays against playoff opponents every week. Ever since the bye we have gotten healthy and gotten back Irving and Lee and the defense is gelling together pretty well. There is cause for optimism

blindzebra

Reaction score

I'd say the bigger issue was no Sean Lee against LA and GB, because both hurt us the most in the run and short passing game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Here are two of the big ones (strongest correlation to wins):
Defensive Passer Rating 94.6 (23rd)
Points Allowed/Drive 1.99 (23rd)

We'll find out all we need to know about the defense in the next three weeks, as we face teams that rank an average of 6th and 5th respectively in the offensive equivalents of those two categories.

Chiefs 1st, 1st
Falcons 12th, 9th
Eagles 5th, 5th

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Here are two of the big ones (strongest correlation to wins):
Defensive Passer Rating 94.6 (23rd)
Points Allowed/Drive 1.99 (23rd)

We'll find out all we need to know about the defense in the next three weeks, as we face teams that rank an average of 6th and 5th respectively in the offensive equivalents of those two categories.

Chiefs 1st, 1st
Falcons 12th, 9th
Eagles 5th, 5th

I agree. And I don't doubt that those teams will do pretty well against us. The Lee differential IMO is that he shave a field goal or a touchdown off the opponents' total. Against Green Bay and LA, if he could have done that it would have been enough. We'll see if having him can provide enough of a difference in these games.