Recap: Defensive Turnovers/Sacks

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You play who is in front of you. I could get a fine tooth comb and go through every teams wins/losses and defensive performances and diminish what they did. No team in the league plays against playoff opponents every week. Ever since the bye we have gotten healthy and gotten back Irving and Lee and the defense is gelling together pretty well. There is cause for optimism

It's silly not to consider the caliber of the opponent when you do an assessment, especially when it's being shown that one player makes such a vast difference. It takes going through it with a fine-toothed comb to get to the truth. The truth is we've done a good job defensively with Lee against teams we should have done a good job against (except Denver) and we did a bad job without Lee against teams we should have had some trouble with.

I see no reason to buy into this defense, with or without Lee, until it does a good job against a good offense. (Washington might have been a good test if not for the downpour, which affected both QBs.)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd say the bigger issue was no Sean Lee against LA and GB, because both hurt us the most in the run and short passing game.

Yes, but exactly how much of a difference would he have made? That's the question for me. Again, Denver scored 42 points against us with Lee in there, so it isn't like we're going to take teams that would have scored 30 against them and hold them in the teens just because Lee is out there. Maybe he would have provided enough to make a difference in the outcome of those games; maybe he wouldn't have.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Yes, but exactly how much of a difference would he have made? That's the question for me. Again, Denver scored 42 points against us with Lee in there, so it isn't like we're going to take teams that would have scored 30 against them and hold them in the teens just because Lee is out there. Maybe he would have provided enough to make a difference in the outcome of those games; maybe he wouldn't have.
One additional stop, one TD turned into a FG, I firmly believe we are 6-1 had Lee not missed those two games.