Deion Sanders Wins Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year Award

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Undeserved! Guy won against bad early ranked teams like my Frogs. Now his recruits are bailing and his ways are exposed because he had zero line work.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who are the recruits jumping ship? Any good links. I ask because haven’t read about it. Disappointing loss streak to finish the season, especially with so many close games that were losses, but only ’dumpster fire’ I read was him firing his OC who left Kent for him.
There have been a few players decommit from Colorado recently, but I wonder how much of that has to do with the offensive coaching situation as well as NIL money that may be more available to them elsewhere.

I think one or two of the decommits were quarterbacks and that may have a lot to do with waiting until they find out if QB Shedeur Sanders is staying or leaving for the NFL.

Regardless, it's fair to point out that some players have decommited, but it is also fair to say it is too early to judge Deion's success at Colorado given its only been one season and they did win 3 more games than they did the year before he arrived.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Wow, I like Deion and I passively rooted for CU to do well but they have fallen flat

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
This is a "sportsman" of the year award. Not the "coach" of the year award. I don't think his record had anything to do with the award.

Or do I not understand what the award is about??

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Personally, not a big fan of Deion anymore. I like his kids, though.

Anything Deion does is for one of two things: money or the camera.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Never cared for Deion even when he was a Cowboy. Can't trust a man who has fake hair. Not sure what the criteria was for him to win it but whatever.
Deoin's hair is not fake. It's a transplant, they transplanted hair from the back of his head to the front. Not sure why you'd try to dog a man's appearance like that.

Sully

Reaction score
Why? His team is a total dumpster fire. Not bowl eligible. Recruits jumping ship like crazy.
Another classic example how our society rewards poor performance. Deion gets his version of the Participation Trophy.
Loses his final 6 games and he is applauded.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Just think how many awards he would have won had his team won more than 4 games
Imagine how many games they would have won if their schedule was easier. A one win team that lost every game last year by an average of 30 points and a college program that everyone had left for dead. They were ranked as one of the top 5 toughest schedules going into the season, and I think only 2-3 teams on their schedule did not show up in the top 25 at one point. Probably a miracle that we can say 4 wins was disappointing. Definitely think people need to give him more time. Jimmy and Jerry would have been run out of town with their one win season in today’s environment.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

This would be funny if it was a joke. Makes me question what the criteria is for being "Sportsperson" of the Year.

Actually, you know what, I don't care. In a couple weeks he'll get another award cuz for whatever reason there's an agenda for this guy to appear successful that I can't fathom.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The question you have to ask is, was it a successful season based on previous recent years? Yes and yes again but the bar was pretty low.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Wow, of all the deserving sports stories on this entire planet this is what that rag could pick?

stuckindc

Reaction score
Why? His team is a total dumpster fire. Not bowl eligible. Recruits jumping ship like crazy.
Give him a little time. He’s been there a year. He brought in some talent. Let’s see what his next class looks like. He had to rebuild that program. It’s gonna take a bit. He will help these young men in life as well as on the field. Watch the interview on The Pivot. It gives a better insight on him. I would absolutely play for him.