Delay of game, defense 90, copy!

ArbynTX

Reaction score
Number 1, kudos for actually going to the rulebook instead of knee-jerking of malfeasance.
Number 2, Lawrence pointed because the TE moved in reaction to his "abrupt action" which is what the foul was called on.

As I pointed out in the other main forum threads, Lawrence either head-faked or snapped his head left only to move to the right and was deemed abrupt by the officials to make the OL jump. As you've highlighted there, that is a foul. Here's the above view that shows what Lawrence did and this is even slowed down by replay. Note that Lawrence is on the TE's motion immediately.

Back-View-GIF.gif

Thank you my friend. I read your posts only a few minutes ago in another thread.

Happy holidays!!

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Not that I am an apologist for officials, but I did find the following when researching delay of game penalties in the rule book:

ARTICLE 5. OTHER DELAY OF GAME FOULS
Other examples of action or inaction that are to be construed as delay of the game include, but are not limited to:

1. a player unnecessarily remains on a dead ball or on a runner who has been downed
  2. the snapper repeatedly snaps the ball after the neutral zone is established and before all the officials have had a reasonable time to assume their positions (see 7-6-3-c)
  3. undue delay by either team in assembling after a timeout
  4. a defensive player aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage makes quick and abrupt actions that are not a part of normal defensive player movement and are an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start).
I see where pointing wouldn’t be considered a normal movement, but did that cause the offense to false start? As far as I saw, no one moved so the penalty shouldn’t have been called.

The question really shouldn’t be about whether or not it’s in the rules, but rather, have you actually called it in another game this decade?

Like the Brice Butler fiasco, the officials seemingly dust off these obscure calls for “Cowboy Day”. It’s getting old.

ArbynTX

Reaction score
The question really shouldn’t be about whether or not it’s in the rules, but rather, have you actually called it in another game this decade?

Like the Brice Butler fiasco, the officials seemingly dust off these obscure calls for “Cowboy Day”. It’s getting old.

I won’t argue the frustration of having a little known rule called against us, but they are rules nonetheless and a ref is only doing his job when he pulls out the yellow dust rag.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
It was the right call. Lawrence and his 'head fake'. Just line up and go headhunting.