DeMarco Murray and Tony Pollard

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shoot I bet he is already like 220 lbs and can take on NFL defenders. I thought 4.52 sounded slow from what I saw. I like getting a back with a lot or tread on the tires.
No, he should not gain weight or spend too much time in the weight room.

Felix Jones was a great co-RB type player initially but he bulked up to be a full time starter and was never the same.

Reactions: BAT

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Just to clarify. The he didn't do it in college was about Pollard.

The narrative around Pollard is he might not be able to handle a heavy load in the NFL because he didn't do it in college. Murray was a bell cow in college but he kept getting hurt. So when he came into the NFL he was already labeled as injury prone, thusly unable to carry a heavy load.
He only missed a couple of games. It was overblown. Pollard is a different type of player than DeMarco. In fact Pollard is what everyone claimed Marco was when we drafted him. The major comparison to DeMarco was Reggie Bush. Pollard compares more with Bush than DeMarco....IMO they should be utilized the same.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not trolling laughing at the BS some are selling here comparing Pollard to a HB like Zeke.
Hey if your allowed to sell crazy so are we.....

Nobody is comparing Pollard to Zeke. The thread is talking about a Demarco Murray comp, and that's a fairly accurate comp from what I've seen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you run 4.38 at your pro-day you're not a legit 4.3 guy. Combine runs always seem to be 0.02-0.04 seconds slower.
Wrong.

The conversion is hand held time vs Automatic time at combine. It is .14

So add that to his 4.37 pro day time.

They changed the setup at the combine a few years ago.

The new method is believed to eliminate the combine time being slightly slower.

Until just a few years ago, the Electronic Time was actually a hand-start, electronic finish.
- The new process is electronic start and finish.

Even with the old method, it was less than 0.04 slower than hand times on the same combine runs (on average).

There are players that have slower time at their Pro Days than at the Combine:
RB Dexter Willaims
- Combine: 4.57
- Pro Day: 4.61

Skimming through to find players that ran both this year:
CB Jordan Brown
Combine: 4.51 (unofficial combine hand held 4.46)
Pro Day: 4.50
Pro Day 0.01 faster, but 0.04 slower than combine hand held.

CB DeAndre Baker
Combine: 4.52 (unofficial combine hand held 4.50)
Pro Day: 4.51
Pro Day 0.01 faster, but 0.01 slower than combine hand held.

The biggest reason for the difference in combine & pro day times over the years for players that ran both is that players that ran at the combine only run again at their pro day if they are confident that they will run faster at the pro day.

Ken

Reaction score
They changed the setup at the combine a few years ago.

The new method is believed to eliminate the combine time being slightly slower.

Until just a few years ago, the Electronic Time was actually a hand-start, electronic finish.
- The new process is electronic start and finish.

Even with the old method, it was less than 0.04 slower than hand times on the same combine runs (on average).

There are players that have slower time at their Pro Days than at the Combine:
RB Dexter Willaims
- Combine: 4.57
- Pro Day: 4.61

Skimming through to find players that ran both this year:
CB Jordan Brown
Combine: 4.51 (unofficial combine hand held 4.46)
Pro Day: 4.50
Pro Day 0.01 faster, but 0.04 slower than combine hand held.

CB DeAndre Baker
Combine: 4.52 (unofficial combine hand held 4.50)
Pro Day: 4.51
Pro Day 0.01 faster, but 0.01 slower than combine hand held.

The biggest reason for the difference in combine & pro day times over the years for players that ran both is that players that ran at the combine only run again at their pro day if they are confident that they will run faster at the pro day.
Ya that is interesting. I was just going by when I ran and it was actually .24 added to handheld times, not .14.

http://speedendurance.com/2014/08/20/why-0-24-seconds-is-added-to-hand-times/

There is generally a difference and auto time is unforgiving.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
No, he should not gain weight or spend too much time in the weight room.

Felix Jones was a great co-RB type player initially but he bulked up to be a full time starter and was never the same.
Some players can handle it some can’t. By looking at Pollard I’d say he was around 220 or so vs the Rams.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Pollard definitely did remind me of Murray. I also like the fact that he has less treadwear given his college carries statistics. That could be a negative depending on how you look at it but I see it as him being extremely fresh. Durability is another concern, however.