DeMarco Murray for MVP?

dstovall5

Reaction score
He would have to finish with number similar to 1800 yards, 18 TDS, and also cut down on the fumbles. I hope he wins it, because if he does then chances our this team will finish 11-5 or 12-4.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Two factors on the MVP.

1. You have to stay healthy all year and put up some monster numbers if you are a running back.
2. Your team needs to be a playoff team with a pretty good record. CJ2K had 2000 yards rushing and didn't win the MVP because the Titans sucked and didn't even make the playoffs that year.

Its doable for Murray, but don't bet your mortgage on it.

gdogg24

Reaction score
He would have to finish with number similar to 1800 yards, 18 TDS, and also cut down on the fumbles. I hope he wins it, because if he does then chances our this team will finish 11-5 or 12-4.

Hey that might be good enough for a couple home games in the playoffs

NickZepp

Reaction score
Murray would have stiff competition this year too, but a big part do him having a chance at winning it would be the team getting to the playoffs.

If he has the type of year AD had a few years ago he'll win it no problem. Murray has picked up 37 first downs in 5 games. Chris Johnson had 79 first downs the entire 2009 season. Peterson had 85. That's another stat to look at.

Reactions: BAT

gdogg24

Reaction score
The "MVP" is the OL.

Leads the league in yards after contact that's all Murray, but yes the way Murray's teammates have been blocking for him really have allowed him to shine even more than last year when he was a 1000 yard back and averaged over five yards a carry.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Look at the RBs that have won in the last 10 years. A 2000 yard rusher, and two players that set the single season touchdown record. If you want to go back further then that you have a guy who had over 2k yards from scrimage and set the single season TD record. Before him a 2k rusher. Before him another 2k Rusher. And before that one leads us back to Emmitt in 93, with probably the least statistically impressive of the RB MVPs, over all.

So my guess is if Murray doesn't break 2k yards he doesn't have a shot, as he's no where near a pace to break the single season TD record.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Look at the RBs that have won in the last 10 years. A 2000 yard rusher, and two players that set the single season touchdown record. If you want to go back further then that you have a guy who had over 2k yards from scrimage and set the single season TD record. Before him a 2k rusher. Before him another 2k Rusher. And before that one leads us back to Emmitt in 93, with probably the least statistically impressive of the RB MVPs, over all.

So my guess is if Murray doesn't break 2k yards he doesn't have a shot, as he's no where near a pace to break the single season TD record.

All Emmitt did was carry the offense on his back all the way to a SB MVP, after not playing the first 2 games and SB Champion Cowboys starting season 0-2. With Emmitt the Cowboys were dominant. Its not always about the stats. Winning trumps all stats.

gdogg24

Reaction score

AP didn't have to get 2K to win MVP

Derinyar

Reaction score
All Emmitt did was carry the offense on his back all the way to a SB MVP, after not playing the first 2 games and SB Champion Cowboys starting season 0-2. With Emmitt the Cowboys were dominant. Its not always about the stats. Winning trumps all stats.

Yes you have to have a winning record for your team to get an MVP. I agree. But MVP is almost all about the stats. Emmitt was dominant that year in his starts and lead the league in rushing when you only had one QB having close to an elite season.

RS12

Reaction score
Murray gets props but the fumbles are a problem and it appears he is running behind one of the best lines in football.

gdogg24

Reaction score
I don't think you can prove your point because he did get 2k yards in the season he got the MVP.

he did? My mistake, of course when Emmitt got his MVP he didn't get to 2000 but then again that was a long time ago.

gdogg24

Reaction score
Both are impressive, but the before contact is much, much more impressive.

Yeah but doesn't that show that his success is just as much about his skills as the blocking he's getting? It's not like this is the first time we've see Murray play well.