Demarco Murray out with hamstring

perrykemp

Reaction score

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not worried about precautionary hold-outs from an OTA, though I wish it weren't a hamstring, of all things.

I am concerned, though, about Dez's back, which he's still apparently getting treatment for. That seems like a lot of treatment for an old injury.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I hope randle can carry the load but murray injury issues is the main reason i wanted lacy over escobar in the 2nd round. That way when murray is injuried or resting we still have that physical presents that will bang other teams up and make us a phyiscal offense. But getting randle in the 5th round lessons the blow but i'm hoping he has something because idk if murray is going to last too many 16+ game seasons.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I don't usually worry about injuries in OTA's unless they carry over to camp. You don't want these guys doing too much unless they are 100%. Getting ready for camp is everyone's priority right now.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem. I am concerned with the number of hamstrings though. Are they doing something to make these more likely? Are they doing things to keep the number down? This is a common injury in football so I don't know if we have less or more than our share.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
jobberone;5090661 said:
Shouldn't be a problem. I am concerned with the number of hamstrings though. Are they doing something to make these more likely? Are they doing things to keep the number down? This is a common injury in football so I don't know if we have less or more than our share.

Well, the CBA mandated guidlines for limited practices in terms of how they're restricted in the amount of practice time, contact and the like aren't doing anything to enhance the readiness of players and their physical conditioning. That decision was simply a precurser to those types of injuries, IMHO. The players appear to have shot themselves in the foot with those ideas. I'm hoping it isn't an ongoing curse they've inflicted upon themselves. If that's progress, it might be helpful if they decided to regress back to the old ways for a change.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bullflop;5090684 said:
Well, the CBA mandated guidlines for limited practices in terms of how they're restricted in the amount of practice time, contact and the like aren't doing anything to enhance the readiness of players and their physical conditioning. That decision was simply a precurser to those types of injuries, IMHO. The players appear to have shot themselves in the foot with those ideas. I'm hoping it isn't an ongoing curse they've inflicted upon themselves. If that's progress, it might be helpful if they decided to regress back to the old ways for a change.

I hadn't thought about that but you're probably right. They just need to get their muscles warm and stay stretched out. In my time around pro athletes they don't do enough warm up and they sure aren't stretched out well.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;5090661 said:

You'd have to think hamstrings would be priority number one in the training room in DAL, right? I can't imagine that they haven't spent all offseason trying to identify why we're getting so many players with this problem.

On a related note, because it's bugging me....I can't recall the player, but wasn't Jerry on a rampage a few seasons back about a hamstring injury suffered in pregame do to insufficient stretching?

JPostSam

Reaction score
jblaze2004;5090658 said:
I hope randle can carry the load but murray injury issues is the main reason i wanted lacy over escobar in the 2nd round. That way when murray is injuried or resting we still have that physical presents that will bang other teams up and make us a phyiscal offense. But getting randle in the 5th round lessons the blow but i'm hoping he has something because idk if murray is going to last too many 16+ game seasons.

i, too, hoped they'd draft lacy in the 2nd.

escobar had better be good.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Idgit;5090688 said:
You'd have to think hamstrings would be priority number one in the training room in DAL, right? I can't imagine that they haven't spent all offseason trying to identify why we're getting so many players with this problem.

On a related note, because it's bugging me....I can't recall the player, but wasn't Jerry on a rampage a few seasons back about a hamstring injury suffered in pregame do to insufficient stretching?

Seem to vaguely remember something but not much help beyond that. I'm sure most teams from HS to the NFL preach the right things.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Idgit;5090688 said:

I seem to recall that being an issue at one point, yes. It's a good bet they know better than to fail to stretch properly by now. Anyhow, moving forward to this recent offseason, Mike Woicik has been working with guys like Miles Austin, Matt Johnson (and hopefully DeMarco Murray now) to adjust their workout regimen to better accommodate the undesirable number of the hammy strains and tears that have invaded our roster.

Ever since he'd been in college, Johnson had been wrongfully doing strength conditioning aimed at maximum leg strength through very few reps with max weight rather than doing a significant number of reps at lower weights. That has changed lately under the guidance of Woicik.

Both Johnson and Austin say they feel they're better prepared for the rigors of camp now but obviously, hamstring hurts are notorious about reoccurring. It's yet to be seen how well their newfound conditioning regimens withstand the practices they'll be obliged to endure. Let's just hope it works.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;5090712 said:
Seem to vaguely remember something but not much help beyond that...

It's bugging me. Was it Marion Barber, maybe? I recall Jerry being angry with the trainer more so than the player, and I'm probably mixing it up with him calling out Barber for not playing through an injury. I guess there's a better than good chance it was Austin....gah. Can't remember.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Hamstrings worry me because a) their tricky and players have a hard time trusting how hard they can go and b) they seem to take forever to fully heal

It's not comparable but I know in high school ball I messed up a hamstring pretty bad in off season sprints. I didn't miss games but it took until about halfway through the season before I felt like I was running without worry.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It was Hatcher and a certain coach was blamed for not warming them up properly. I can't remember who the coach was......

erod

Reaction score
Hamstrings are like rubber bands.

You know how when you shoot a rubber band across the room, after 3-4 times, its starts to lose its elasticity? Hamstrings are the same way.

Players who pull hamstrings tend to pull hamstrings a LOT. Look at Miles Austin and Felix Jones for examples, as well as Nelson Cruz for the Rangers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lonestar94;5090654 said:
Hopefully this Joseph Randle fella is ready to carry the load.
I know if I end up with Murray as one of my top 2 RBs in FFB, I'm going to try to handcuff him with Randle if I have enough bench spots.

The "real" team is so much better with a healthy Murray, but I don't at all trust him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The book on Murray, while at OU, was that he was always hurt or nicked up. That's not something we didn't already know about him.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Murray has a lot of talent and with a better offensive line could be a real force.

One would have to go back and analyze how the injuries have happened and if there is anything that can be done going forward. If Murray is indeed injury prone, then his career in the NFL will not be what we all hoped it would be.

It seems most teams are forced to use a RB by committee approach due to the wear and tear of a season. Dallas may have to cut down Murray's workload to keep him healhy.