DeMarco Murray

plasticman

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray left meat on the bone.......

DeMarco Murray is a one year wonder......

DeMarco Murray owed his great season to the Cowboy's elite offensive line.....

After a season with so many carries, DeMarco Murray is headed downhill......

Any RB would be successful running behind this line......

Don't get me wrong, I love Zeke and if things didn't turn out the way they did, we wouldn't have Dak. But I was disappointed in the way Murray was perceived by fans and the media. In his rookie year, before this offensive line, he rushed for over 700 yards in his first 7 games. He was a Pro Bowler before the 2014 season. He was the Cowboys #3 receiver during the combined 4 years he was here.

He left during free agency, in part because he didn't get a serious offer that was proportional to the contribution he made to the team. The team decided to go in a different direction, and that they did.

So, if Murray wasn't all that, then why is he now the #2 ranked RB in the NFL so far this season with rushing yards that project him to a 300 carries 1500 yard season?

Sorry, had to get that off my chest....now something more interesting....

Do you realize that if Elliott wins the rushing title it will be the 2nd time in three years a Cowboy RB was the leading rusher.....with two different RB's.

In 1986 and 1987the Rams had the leading rusher, two different guys, Eric Dickerson the first year, Charles White the 2nd.Then in 1988 it was Dickerson again, this time for the Colts.

Still, I credit Cowboy management for knowing how to capitalize on a strength, they failed to do this in the 2000 decade. Parcells built an offensive line for running the ball and it was a little ridiculous to see Davis, Columbo, Flozell, and Gurode in pass protection 70% of the time. Had they managed to get a serious running game, no doubt, Tony Romo and Jason Witten would be sporting rings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the demise of Murray was greatly exaggerated by many based on a stat of other players who some were injured like Jamal Anderson or had off the field issues or were just up in age. I never felt that the work he did in 2014 was going to impact him given his age and his conditioning. As for letting him go the Cowboys made a business choice as did Murray. I don't blame either

waldoputty

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray left meat on the bone.......

DeMarco Murray is a one year wonder......

DeMarco Murray owed his great season to the Cowboy's elite offensive line.....

After a season with so many carries, DeMarco Murray is headed downhill......

Any RB would be successful running behind this line......

Don't get me wrong, I love Zeke and if things didn't turn out the way they did, we wouldn't have Dak. But I was disappointed in the way Murray was perceived by fans and the media. In his rookie year, before this offensive line, he rushed for over 700 yards in his first 7 games. He was a Pro Bowler before the 2014 season. He was the Cowboys #3 receiver during the combined 4 years he was here.

He left during free agency, in part because he didn't get a serious offer that was proportional to the contribution he made to the team. The team decided to go in a different direction, and that they did.

So, if Murray wasn't all that, then why is he now the #2 ranked RB in the NFL so far this season with rushing yards that project him to a 300 carries 1500 yard season?

Sorry, had to get that off my chest....now something more interesting....

Do you realize that if Elliott wins the rushing title it will be the 2nd time in three years a Cowboy RB was the leading rusher.....with two different RB's.

In 1986 and 1987the Rams had the leading rusher, two different guys, Eric Dickerson the first year, Charles White the 2nd.Then in 1988 it was Dickerson again, this time for the Colts.

Still, I credit Cowboy management for knowing how to capitalize on a strength, they failed to do this in the 2000 decade. Parcells built an offensive line for running the ball and it was a little ridiculous to see Davis, Columbo, Flozell, and Gurode in pass protection 70% of the time. Had they managed to get a serious running game, no doubt, Tony Romo and Jason Witten would be sporting rings.

He fumbled at the worst time.
He lacked Zeke's top gear.
He does not extract the most out of the OL
His salary is much higher
But he would not cost the 4th pick - so one point to his advantage

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Murray was/is good but this new kid is wicked. I dislike OSU, but gotta give props when their due.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Derrick Henry hasn't been intregated fully into the offense? Once he starts stealing carries from Murray your projections will go down.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
not remotely true...may be with you, but the disrespect given to him that offseason was ridiculous.

You mean after he signed with a division rival? That's just typical fan behavior. Nearly everyone would have loved to see him resign with Dallas just not at his asking price.

plasticman

Reaction score
He fumbled at the worst time.
He lacked Zeke's top gear.
He does not extract the most out of the OL
His salary is much higher
But he would not cost the 4th pick - so one point to his advantage

The dude fumbled 13 times in 4 years, less than Emmitt in his first two years.

In his very first start as a rookie his first carry went 91 yards for a TD. Tyron's rookie year....Fredericks and Martin were college underclassmen. How much more top gear did he need.....a 3rd round pick.

Much higher salary....no....much smaller. Had they resigned him? LOL, how much is Elliott going to cost when the time comes? Dez was a better deal?

Didn't extract the most out of the offensive line? He broke Emmitt's single season Cowboy record. He broke Jim Brown's 50 year old record.

The Cowboys management screwed up great team chemistry, they had something special going, something you typically don't get a 2nd chance on. Hopefully, they will remember this when deciding on a QB later this season.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You mean after he signed with a division rival? That's just typical fan behavior. Nearly everyone would have loved to see him resign with Dallas just not at his asking price.

trust me, it was before. many called him a one year wonder, which ignores his 2013 season where he rushed for 1120 yards and 9 TDs as well as 350 yards receiving and 1 TD, many threw around that 4 year 20 million and said we should not budge from that. not a small minority either.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Murray had 6 fumbles in 6 different games in the 2014 season and he lost all of them.

The Cowboys also lost three of those games, including the GB game in what clearly would have been a long TD run in the 3rd quarter.

Did those fumbles cause those 3 losses?...it sure didn't help!

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
The Eagles should have kept him. He would have been better in a more traditional offense. Glad they didn't!

waldoputty

Reaction score

In his very first start as a rookie his first carry went 91 yards for a TD. Tyron's rookie year....Fredericks and Martin were college underclassmen. How much more top gear did he need.....a 3rd round pick.

Much higher salary....no....much smaller. Had they resigned him? LOL, how much is Elliott going to cost when the time comes? Dez was a better deal?

Didn't extract the most out of the offensive line? He broke Emmitt's single season Cowboy record. He broke Jim Brown's 50 year old record.

The Cowboys management screwed up great team chemistry, they had something special going, something you typically don't get a 2nd chance on. Hopefully, they will remember this when deciding on a QB later this season.

Murray is a good back and excellent value in the 3rd round.
We spent 3 1st round picks (and Collins) on the OL.
Murray is a B+ back and we need to extract every bit of value out of the running game.
He lacks the top gear and often ran into the wrong holes.
His salary is $8M vs $6M for Zeke
We can worry about Zeke's salary in 5 years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

All great points......DAL failed terribly letting Murray go but quickly realized their mistake and drafted EE..........if Murray was offered 4/26m he probably would have stayed......we are paying EE 4/26m and it cost the 4th pick......expensive but worth it

This team was built for a great RB and you don't spend that much on an OL and go cheap at RB......it has changed everything back to 2014 and that is with a rookie QB

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
  • Dallas leads the NFL with 191 rushing yards per game over the past three weeks. It's the first time that they've run for 175 or more yards in three consecutive games since 1994.
Shared this in another thread as well. Notice it doesn't say 2014. Murray had a very good year but it still didn't measure up to the overall success of the early 90s team.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
  • Dallas leads the NFL with 191 rushing yards per game over the past three weeks. It's the first time that they've run for 175 or more yards in three consecutive games since 1994.
Shared this in another thread as well. Notice it doesn't say 2014. Murray had a very good year but it still didn't measure up to the overall success of the early 90s team.
Murray broke the franchise record with 1845 yards.....the entire 1994 team had 1953 yards and I don't see 3 straight games over 175...they only had 2 all year

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Murray broke the franchise record with 1845 yards.....the entire 1994 team had 1953 yards and I don't see 3 straight games over 175...they only had 2 all year
Just posting what I read this morning. I will take your word on it for now.