Demarcus Lawrence wants a 5 year extension

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The reason I'm more bullish than most on Tank is he's winning with technique instead of pure athleticism. To me that means he's more likely to be able to recover from injuries and continue to be productive as he ages. I'd try to give him a deal like Sean Lee's, top 3 money but only if he hits availability and performance goals. I think it'll be difficult to get him on a real bargain though because of the 17m he's already getting from the tag.
His motor and effort are top notch though

He really is the heart of the D

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I understand your concerns. I really do. But, honestly, Lawrence's trajectory has actually been straight up since his rookie season. The injury riddled season certainly is a legitimate reason to give pause. I don't give much credence to the 4 game suspension as the NFL would suspend you for drinking the wrong brand of tea.

Despite those concerns, his actual play on the field has gotten better every season. He's actually becoming the player that we hoped he would be when we drafted him. It's harder and harder to develop these kids and the CBA rules aren't helping.

Quick diversion: I heard a stat on Sirius XM NFL Radio a couple of weeks back that the new CBA has created a situation that it now takes 3 years worth of practice to get the same number of reps now that a player could have gotten in one year under the previous CBA. That's A LOT of invested time in a player (regardless of position). It was also posited that it's the sole reason for such poor play along both sides of the trenches and why it takes so long, now, to develop these players (and consequently why guys like Martin, Fredrick, Bosa, etc. are truly great players because they've transcended that situation and were dominant from the word go but, they are ABSOLUTELY exceptions to the rule in a league starving for competent play from both sides of the trenches and QB positions).

Is it a gamble to sign Lawrence to a long term deal? Of course it is. Just like it's a gamble to sign Hitchens to his deal or Sammy Watkins to his. At some point you've got to piss or get off the pot. As was mentioned earlier in this thread: there are no trophies for saved cap space. Teams that horde their cap space are rarely in the hunt at the end of the season either. This is a talent acquisition league. The plus side to signing Lawrence now is how good this deal is going to look 3 years down the road. It doesn't get any cheaper to sign this guy regardless of the "prove it" bravado that's being bantered about, here.

For years everyone around here wanted Jerry to start getting smart about contracts and build more through the draft. Well, he's done that and, in part, completely avoided the bloated FA market where you pay a good player like a great player (see: Hitchens, Watkins) and he's put us in position to actually re-sign some of our own great players before they hit the streets and we end up competing with teams with, literally, 60 million more in cap space than we do.

Waiting another year for Lawrence is playing it safe and playing it expensive. We won't win any championships with that mindset or philosophy, IMHO. I could be completely wrong and I'm 100% comfortable with that. I'll admit it if it breaks that way without reservation. I see it this way: If I'm going to blow $1000.00 at the craps table, I'm throwing it all down, right now. I'm not going to die a slow 6 hour death playing it safe while I watch my pile slowly diminish. That's a strategy for wasting your current talent hoping something breaks your way (See: Romo, Ware, Witten). Again, IMHO.

Good talking with ya, cb.
So much right with this post....... well done

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is the risk with every player....... it is a 2 year risk window....he has a 17m risk window right now and a 20m risk window next year with the Franchise Tags.....is 2 years and 30m that different for a stud DE?

Teams can always get insurance for 50k per 1m.......get a 10m policy for 500k if that worried...... It is tax free so the player makes out and the salary is rebated back against the cap

I would much rather have 4 years low paid over 5-6 years compared to 2 year highly paid over 2 years

Depends on the contract and guaranteed money really. Just weighing the risk of his back injuries coming back. I agree he is worth the risk as there are always ways to create cap room if they really need to later on.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
REPORT: DeMarcus Lawrence Wants a 5-Year Extension From the Cowboys

http://www.12up.com/posts/6110311-r...source=app&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=post

Yeah 17 mil per year. Seems the steroids blew off his brain.

Id give him 5 mills base salary per year. And 20 mill sign bonus on his beloved 5 year contract. Then 250k per sack and another 250k for every game started.

If he gets 16 sacks per seson - which i demand from a player that wants to have that kind of money - then he will be able to earn another 8 mils as bonuses.

So he will be able to earn his 17 mils per year.

Otherwise bye bye dlaw. Hope your back holds another year or two.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
We're not going back to the overpaid sick lame lazy player. Do the shhhh again and then we'll see!

CPanther95

Reaction score
I understand your concerns. I really do. But, honestly, Lawrence's trajectory has actually been straight up since his rookie season. The injury riddled season certainly is a legitimate reason to give pause. I don't give much credence to the 4 game suspension as the NFL would suspend you for drinking the wrong brand of tea.

Despite those concerns, his actual play on the field has gotten better every season. He's actually becoming the player that we hoped he would be when we drafted him. It's harder and harder to develop these kids and the CBA rules aren't helping.

Quick diversion: I heard a stat on Sirius XM NFL Radio a couple of weeks back that the new CBA has created a situation that it now takes 3 years worth of practice to get the same number of reps now that a player could have gotten in one year under the previous CBA. That's A LOT of invested time in a player (regardless of position). It was also posited that it's the sole reason for such poor play along both sides of the trenches and why it takes so long, now, to develop these players (and consequently why guys like Martin, Fredrick, Bosa, etc. are truly great players because they've transcended that situation and were dominant from the word go but, they are ABSOLUTELY exceptions to the rule in a league starving for competent play from both sides of the trenches and QB positions).

Is it a gamble to sign Lawrence to a long term deal? Of course it is. Just like it's a gamble to sign Hitchens to his deal or Sammy Watkins to his. At some point you've got to piss or get off the pot. As was mentioned earlier in this thread: there are no trophies for saved cap space. Teams that horde their cap space are rarely in the hunt at the end of the season either. This is a talent acquisition league. The plus side to signing Lawrence now is how good this deal is going to look 3 years down the road. It doesn't get any cheaper to sign this guy regardless of the "prove it" bravado that's being bantered about, here.

For years everyone around here wanted Jerry to start getting smart about contracts and build more through the draft. Well, he's done that and, in part, completely avoided the bloated FA market where you pay a good player like a great player (see: Hitchens, Watkins) and he's put us in position to actually re-sign some of our own great players before they hit the streets and we end up competing with teams with, literally, 60 million more in cap space than we do.

Waiting another year for Lawrence is playing it safe and playing it expensive. We won't win any championships with that mindset or philosophy, IMHO. I could be completely wrong and I'm 100% comfortable with that. I'll admit it if it breaks that way without reservation. I see it this way: If I'm going to blow $1000.00 at the craps table, I'm throwing it all down, right now. I'm not going to die a slow 6 hour death playing it safe while I watch my pile slowly diminish. That's a strategy for wasting your current talent hoping something breaks your way (See: Romo, Ware, Witten). Again, IMHO.

Good talking with ya, cb.

Everything you said is 100% correct, but I disagree with you 100%. :D

Bottom line is that the Cowboys lose zero leverage by waiting a year and dangling another franchise tag over his head - they'll be in the same position they are now, but have another year of performance to go by. The only difference - as you pointed out - is the cost of the extension.

Personally, I'd rather see another solid year of production and I'd be willing to pay an extra 2 or 3 million a year (a year from now) for his extension in exchange for that additional year not being on the hook long term. Not only do you get another year to insure that his performance trajectory is on the rise, like you suggest, but you cover yourself for a year against the main thing players want guaranteed contracts for - the risk that a career ending/limiting injury occurs. I'd call that more expensive extension a year from now relatively cheap insurance.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No way I’m giving him what he wants off just the one year. The team has been burned too many times before by doing this. Make him show last year wasn’t another contract year performance never to be repeated again as he cashes large guaranteed checks that take all incentive to succeed away. I hope he eventually gets paid and stays in Dallas but his body of work is not worth what he is asking for.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
IMO its about the structure, I would give him a solid but not huge amount of guaranteed money and then build in the incentives that can pay him elite money for elite performance. He gets financial security for life and the Cowboys get protection from the downside.
Fans always say this, but why would a player sign a deal with a lot of incentives when there will be teams willing to sign him without doing that?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Fans always say this, but why would a player sign a deal with a lot of incentives when there will be teams willing to sign him without doing that?
Well, because Jerry Jones is a great salesman and of course who wouldn't want to play for the Cowboys? Duh.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Yeah 17 mil per year. Seems the steroids blew off his brain.

Id give him 5 mills base salary per year. And 20 mill sign bonus on his beloved 5 year contract. Then 250k per sack and another 250k for every game started.

If he gets 16 sacks per seson - which i demand from a player that wants to have that kind of money - then he will be able to earn another 8 mils as bonuses.

So he will be able to earn his 17 mils per year.

Otherwise bye bye dlaw. Hope your back holds another year or two.
I laughed at steroids blew off his brain lol

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Seems like too many people have become overly terrified of the team spending money and we have to have a team full of players either on rookie deals, one year "prove it" deals, or incentive laden / hometown discount contracts.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No way I’m giving him what he wants off just the one year. The team has been burned too many times before by doing this. Make him show last year wasn’t another contract year performance never to be repeated again as he cashes large guaranteed checks that take all incentive to succeed away. I hope he eventually gets paid and stays in Dallas but his body of work is not worth what he is asking for.
I am not certain the Joneses can demonstrate that kind of nerve and conviction in this process.

gmoney112

Reaction score
We'll see. We have a lot of DEs on the roster and a 1st round pick in Taco.

If DLaw goes nuts this season and is healthy, i'm not opposed to it. Will obviously depend on his production and health, but there are worse ways to spend your money than a dominant pass rusher in his prime.

Reaction score
We have been waiting since Charles Haley for a difference maker on the edge. We now have found one that we drafted and groomed, and people want to say he has not shown enough and needs to do it again before we re-sign him? Every big money player is a risk (see OBJ), but the homegrown D Law’s of the world, productive and in their prime, and a hard worker on the practice field, are exactly the type of free agent you lock up long term and pay market value.

Kaiser

Reaction score

That would be my offer right now when the team has the exclusive rights on DLaw. We can negotiate a long term deal up until July 16th and I believe it will happen (just like Dez). If he is on the open market after another huge season its a different situation but I think they will work out a long term contract in the next week.