Demarcus Lawrence wants at least $17 mil per year

The Natural

Reaction score
Every other guy we draft can't stay on the field for reasons that may or may not be in their control, and the FO refuses to spend in FA. So this is what we're stuck with, he's the only DL that shows up on scouting reports besides Irving whenever he plays, pay the man his money.

aria

Reaction score
May not, could be, it's all speculation. You speak about an incentive based deal that is not even an option. The dude is going to get paid. Yes, it is a somewhat risky singing, but he plays a position that is in high demand and teams pay a lot of loot for good pass rushers.

If the Cowboys Staff and Doctors see nothing physically wrong with the guy, he is a good risk. I hear guys like Tony Bosselli rave about DLaw's preparation and technique. That comes from putting extra work in.

It would be moronic to hand him $17.5M and then do a LT deal with him the following year. The Cowboys should know what they have in Lawrence and either pay him or move on. I suspect he will get the tag and LT deal will ensue.
You’re probably right, I just don’t like the risk. It’s bad enough that he only had one break out year then add in not one, but two, back surgeries and a foot injury that kept him out for 8 games...I want one more year of similar production before going all in on him.

cern

Reaction score
No, I agree with tagging him but I was confused on why you wanted to tag him based on the comments you made.
I doubt we'll be able to come to terms with him this year. Ergo, tag him. If he has another outstanding year, try and reach a deal next year.

aria

Reaction score
It would be impulsive to sign DL to that kind of deal right now. That said, it seems likely to me that JJ would sign that deal today or pretty soon. JJ has said the best things he has gotten is when he has over payed.
I wonder if he’s still saying that with Dez and all. Also Romo with his injuries which was written all over the wall.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
You’re probably right, I just don’t like the risk. It’s bad enough that he only had one break out year then add in not one, but two, back surgeries and a foot injury that kept him out for 8 games...I want one more year of similar production before going all in on him.
I could be completely wrong for all the reasons you state, but you have to take calculated risks on a players using the best information you have. Investing in Lawrence would be a better bet than investing in Irving, IMO, and the Cowboys need the production Lawrence gave them in 2017. The Cowboys Medical Staff should be able to quantify the risks associated with DLaw's surgeries and they should move on from him if they see any likelihood of increased risk for re-injury due to his past surgeries.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
people saying a certain player only got his production because he's in a contract yr are funny. That IMO is one of the stupidest comments i see. Like a player can just turn it on and off. Lawrence is asking for 17mil on avg a yr. He doesnt have alot of miles on his body as he has missed some time in his first 4 yrs in the league. He seemed to have turned to the corner in 2015 where they kept switching him from strong side to weakside. Which did him a disservice. In 2016 he started off with a susp and then he was battling injuries. Its football and it happens. This yr he just put it all together with his new work ethic and became a leader. He couldnt be blocked by anybody this yr. Getting a long term deal is the smart thing.

Vernons deal
5yr 85mil 20milSB 52mil guaranteed

The difference is there was bidding going on for him. Dallas can franchise Lawrence first and that limits the market.

Give him 6yrs 102mil with 24mil SB. 52mil guranteed

first yr 2mil base 4mil pro rated 6mil caphit
2nd yr 14mil base fully guaranteed 4mil pro rated SB 18 mil cap hit
3rd yr 14mil base fully guranteed 4 milpro rated SB 18 mil cap hit

first 3 yrs 40mil of 52mil guaranteed money already paid.

You start looking for his replacement this offseason

4th yr 12mil base 4mil pro rated SB 16mil caphit

Through 4 yrs Dallas pays him 58 mil 44mil of it guaranteed.

Dallas would have 2 yrs 44mil and 8mil in prorated SB left. He'd be 30 during this season.

So you either restructure those 2 yrs and 44mil left in an extension if the production is still there. Or you release him in the offseason of 2022 and go with the guy you draft that yr or the yr before

I hear what you are saying, but the Cowboys lead by the Savior himself Jerry Jones, always pays his players and then the performance drops. Crawford got paid and performance tanked, Mile Austin got paid..tanked...Dez.....performance tanked.... Spencer got franchised 2 years in a row and never played again...what about Jay Ratliff...dude stole Jerrys money. This front office does a horrible job of getting players to perform after a big contract.

Jerry pays the pays the player for past performance instead of future performance....give DLAW a generous pay for performance contract is the best way to go..... Will DLAW get paid yes,,,,will he perform after he gets paid....doubt it......unless he has an incentitive...

These young kids, want the money....then lose that hunger for the game, A generously paid incenitive laden contract, would be a win win for both Give him a good bonus say 15mil then base salary.. say 5mil a year and let say a $1mil for each sack.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
I could be completely wrong for all the reasons you state, but you have to take calculated risks on a players using the best information you have. Investing in Lawrence would be a better bet than investing in Irving, IMO, and the Cowboys need the production Lawrence gave them in 2017. The Cowboys Medical Staff should be able to quantify the risks associated with DLaw's surgeries and they should move on from him if they see any likelihood of increased risk for re-injury due to his past surgeries.
It’s a gamble for sure and I completely agree that I would prefer him over Irving. It’s not that I done like him or think he will be successful, I’m just skeptical of the injuries and ONE really good year. Hopefully whatever they do works in the Cowboys fabor obviously but we’ve been down this road before.

tm1119

Reaction score
If we have to keep Lawrence at 17.5 next year it pretty much kisses away whatever minute chance at signing an actual good free agent I thought we had...

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If we have to keep Lawrence at 17.5 next year it pretty much kisses away whatever minute chance at signing an actual good free agent I thought we had...
That is a real and significant problem. There is also the possibility that Lawrence has another good year under the franchise tag, gets a LT deal going into 2019, and then gets hurt in 2019.

If Lawrence is your guy, go get him. Don't pull a Commanders/Cousins type fiasco.

Verdict

Reaction score
There is obviously risk that Lawrence will not be the player he was this year going forward. But even if he plays at the same level he played at this past year there is risk involved in the contract.

At some point a player's cap hit is high enough that it begins to significantly eat up enough cap space that it impairs your ability to surround that player with suitable help.

If you want to pay Lawrence fine. But paying a non producing Dez and a lackluster cap eater in Witten along with our O-Line is going to eat up a ton of cap.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but the Cowboys lead by the Savior himself Jerry Jones, always pays his players and then the performance drops. Crawford got paid and performance tanked, Mile Austin got paid..tanked...Dez.....performance tanked.... Spencer got franchised 2 years in a row and never played again...what about Jay Ratliff...dude stole Jerrys money. This front office does a horrible job of getting players to perform after a big contract.

Jerry pays the pays the player for past performance instead of future performance....give DLAW a generous pay for performance contract is the best way to go..... Will DLAW get paid yes,,,,will he perform after he gets paid....doubt it......unless he has an incentitive...

These young kids, want the money....then lose that hunger for the game, A generously paid incenitive laden contract, would be a win win for both Give him a good bonus say 15mil then base salary.. say 5mil a year and let say a $1mil for each sack.
With that logic dallas should never give another player a 2nd contract. i think the type of contract where you have an out yr before the age of 30 or at 30 is smart business. People throw out the word incentive but most players will never accept that. Except desperate ones. There are teams who would throw 17mil at lawrence in a instant. Lawrence beat double and even triple teams at times this yr.

Dallas is going to have insane money starting in 2019. So ill just say it now and guarantee the team will get a lng term deal with Lawrence before the draft. He's the type of player you cant let get away.

waving monkey

Reaction score
tagging makes sense of course a year later the money is higher
but tagging is sound

waving monkey

Reaction score
There is obviously risk that Lawrence will not be the player he was this year going forward. But even if he plays at the same level he played at this past year there is risk involved in the contract.

At some point a player's cap hit is high enough that it begins to significantly eat up enough cap space that it impairs your ability to surround that player with suitable help.

If you want to pay Lawrence fine. But paying a non producing Dez and a lackluster cap eater in Witten along with our O-Line is going to eat up a ton of cap.
Witten is a tough one. His hit is around 7Mand is now a reliable middle of the pack TE who is a great team leader.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I always figured he would want something like a 5 year 85-90mil with like 50mil guaranteed

Gameover

Reaction score
Go all in for a chip next season

Tag Lawrence
Bring back Irving
An improved Taco

Let Lawrence and Irving walk after the season and rebuild around Taco who will be better than both at that point!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Tag_TV_channel_logo.jpg