DeMarcus Lawrence

jday

Reaction score
I can't think of a better, more logical, less risky way to go.

He's certainly not going to sign any one year deal otherwise. Crazy to think otherwise. And he's not going to give the Cowboys a discount on a long term deal, not when he knows someone else will pay him big money.

Olivier Vernon had one season with double digit sacks (11.5). And he parlayed that one year, and a 7.5 sack season into a 5-year, $85 million contract, with a $20 million signing bonus and $52.5 million guaranteed.

People need to put that into perspective.
No doubt. And the Cowboys will likely work hard to ensure he doesn't get to test the market. Given the rarity of effective passrushers today, the price tag will be staggering...if he keeps this up.

haleyrules

Reaction score
In Lawrence case the club must franchise him. He needs to put together a couple of top seasons and not be injured. It seems the club has learned their lesson in overpaying players that shine during their contract year. That can be a fatal mistake.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't see us franchising him at all.100% guaranteed money...huge money for next year that limits what you can do in free agency.
I haven't looked it up, but unless that salary for DE's is significantly less than I think because the 3-4 OLBs are in a different category, I just don't see it.

They have had Lawrence long enough to know all they need to know about his attitude and game to game, play to play effort. By the end of the season, they'll know all they need to know about the health of his back, though anyone can suffer an injury at any time. He doesn't need to put up multiple 15 sack seasons to be worth a contract. Haley didn't string together year after year of sacks; Haley had double digit sacks in only 6 of 13 seasons, and only more than 12 one time, yet he was worth every penny because he brought pressure and demanded double teams that opened things up for other players.

If DLaw is true to his word and loves Dallas and wants to stay there and rewards their patience with him, he will take a big payday, but he won't even sniff JJWatt or Kalil Mack money, and he won't expect it. I think we sign him to a nice contract for him and us if he finishes the season healthy.

There's no reason to franchise him at an enormous cost as a gamble; you don't franchise gambles. You franchise bona fide super stars when you can't agree to terms. Expect a Sean Lee type contract with some protections in there for the team. Big money based on the games he plays, etc. It's silly to expect 15 sacks per year from a 4-3 DE....teams will double team him, etc. That's worth the contract too; then you need other guys to step up and make plays too.
The bolded sentence is an excellent point that seems to be overlooked by fans a lot of the time. Good on 'ya, man.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Lawrence case the club must franchise him. He needs to put together a couple of top seasons and not be injured. It seems the club has learned their lesson in overpaying players that shine during their contract year. That can be a fatal mistake.

I can't help but to get an "Anthony Spencer" vibe with this whole deal.

It took him several years to put up any great numbers, and the team played the franchise tag game with him for two years. Seeing similarities in the two situations.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Well said a one year deal protects the Cowboys !! :dance:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:hammer:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, I don't see us franchising him at all.100% guaranteed money...huge money for next year that limits what you can do in free agency.
I haven't looked it up, but unless that salary for DE's is significantly less than I think because the 3-4 OLBs are in a different category, I just don't see it.

They have had Lawrence long enough to know all they need to know about his attitude and game to game, play to play effort. By the end of the season, they'll know all they need to know about the health of his back, though anyone can suffer an injury at any time. He doesn't need to put up multiple 15 sack seasons to be worth a contract. Haley didn't string together year after year of sacks; Haley had double digit sacks in only 6 of 13 seasons, and only more than 12 one time, yet he was worth every penny because he brought pressure and demanded double teams that opened things up for other players.

If DLaw is true to his word and loves Dallas and wants to stay there and rewards their patience with him, he will take a big payday, but he won't even sniff JJWatt or Kalil Mack money, and he won't expect it. I think we sign him to a nice contract for him and us if he finishes the season healthy.

There's no reason to franchise him at an enormous cost as a gamble; you don't franchise gambles. You franchise bona fide super stars when you can't agree to terms. Expect a Sean Lee type contract with some protections in there for the team. Big money based on the games he plays, etc. It's silly to expect 15 sacks per year from a 4-3 DE....teams will double team him, etc. That's worth the contract too; then you need other guys to step up and make plays too.
Franchising him would not limit them in free agency.

The Tag is a very good option for the team in this situation.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
He’ll have 20 sacks this season, get paid 100 million in the offseason and will never be the same again. Hopefully we’re not the ones that waste all that money.