News: Demarcus Ware inducted to the Hall of Fame

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Since the end of the Jimmy team Jerry has drafted 3 HoF level players - Ware, Witten, and Martin. Fredbeard would likely be there too but the shortened career may hurt that.
This is a tricky one for me. I think Jerry gets credit for the Felix Jones, Randy Gregorys, Jaylon Smiths of the world. I think Witten has Parcells written all over it. I think Jerry had to be locked in a closet for the organization to draft Zach Martin. Can't remember, did Parcells want Merriman and Jerry wanted Ware? Or was it the other way around?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So, who's next as far as long deserved Cowboys?

Harvey Martin is long overdue...is he the last of the 70s and 80s?

From the 90s are we more or less just waiting for Darren Woodson?

I think guys like Jason Witten from the 00s will get in, but I'm mainly talking about guys who are eligible now

gtb1943

Reaction score
So, who's next as far as long deserved Cowboys?

Harvey Martin is long overdue...is he the last of the 70s and 80s?

From the 90s are we more or less just waiting for Darren Woodson?

I think guys like Jason Witten from the 00s will get in, but I'm mainly talking about guys who are eligible now
Lee Roy Jordon was a fine MLB but he had the misfortune to play at the same time as more great MLBs then anytime in history:
Nitschke, Butkus, Lanier, Nobis, Curtis, Buoniconti and the beginning of Lamberts career.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I don't agree.

Witten has too long a career, too many catches and was too visible to not get in.

The icing on the cake was the run after catch where he lost his helmet, that's the kind of iconic moment that puts a player "over the top" to get in...
His biggest plus to get in is his games played and amount of catches. I do not think that is enough. He has almost no postseason numbers. He played in the era of pass catching tight ends.

He will go into the cowboys ring of honor but imo has a really low chance at the hall of fame.

You could make the case that the most consequential play he had in the postseason was failing to get a few more inches vs seattle in 06 resulting in the team having to kick a field goal. If he could have carried the safety that hit him a few inches more it was a first down, marion barber would have stuck the ball in the end zone and Dallas would have been on to chicago, a team they matched up extremely well against in 06. He came up short though and then the ball slipped through romo's fingers. Season over.

MikeB80

Reaction score
This is a tricky one for me. I think Jerry gets credit for the Felix Jones, Randy Gregorys, Jaylon Smiths of the world. I think Witten has Parcells written all over it. I think Jerry had to be locked in a closet for the organization to draft Zach Martin. Can't remember, did Parcells want Merriman and Jerry wanted Ware? Or was it the other way around?
Parcells wanted to fully implement the 3-4. He needed big ends to do it. He wanted to make sure they could get Marcus spears with one of the picks..when they realized they could get him later they used the first of the two picks on an OLB for the new 3-4. Parcells wanted a weak side pass rusher that could stand up tight ends if he had to and play the run. T

here are multiple stories of who wanted who, most of the stories have come from Byran Broaddus who has changed the story multiple times to always make parcells look bad each time....(He hates Parcells & Tom Coughlin because they both fired him) anyway, when they were debating on merriman and ware the deciding factor was Shawn Merriman's agents, the postons. He already stated he would hold out for more than the slotted money. When Parcells was told this he was all in on Demarcus Ware.

Parcells didn't baby ware...or witten...he made them earn their way and rode them pretty hard. I would say without question Ware was a Parcells guy. If only they had taken Aaron Rodgers instead of marcus spears ware might be going into the hall of fame as the 3x champion or something.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
it is going to be really tough for witten to get in. I imagine he does not. The only guys going to the hall of fame from this modern era of the cowboys are probably ware, martin and tyron smith.
Witten is currently #2 among TEs in catches...that will not change before he is eligible with Travis Kelce some 400 catches behind

Witten is also #2 among TEs in yards. That probably will change with Kelce 2700+ yards behind him and Witten not being eligible for 3 more years, but no one else is close

Witten is also #5 among TEs in TDs. Kelcee will pass him early next season, but no one else is particularly close

I can't say for sure he's a first ballot guy...the lack of post season numbers didn't really hurt Calvin Johnson, but you never know. But there's no chance it takes more than 2-3 tries and there just isn't a scenario where he does not get in

MikeB80

Reaction score
Witten is currently #2 among TEs in catches...that will not change before he is eligible with Travis Kelce some 400 catches behind

Witten is also #2 among TEs in yards. That probably will change with Kelce 2700+ yards behind him and Witten not being eligible for 3 more years, but no one else is close

Witten is also #5 among TEs in TDs. Kelcee will pass him early next season, but no one else is particularly close

I can't say for sure he's a first ballot guy...the lack of post season numbers didn't really hurt Calvin Johnson, but you never know. But there's no chance it takes more than 2-3 tries and there just isn't a scenario where he does not get in
hey it could happen. Tight ends getting into the hall of fame is really tough. I dont see it happening but if it does it will be for his longevity and being the old school player he was who always played hurt. The 2012 spleen situation will be one of those stories that will get told over and over when they start debating him in a few years.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If Parcells really didn't want Ware, he wouldn't have entertained Jones like this. At the time, Merriman, Ware, and Spears was a good problem to have. Jerry got this one right, but Parcells clearly saw a lot of talent in Ware to mess with Jerry like this.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Also shame on the NFL having Zach Thomas wait this long. That is just ridiculous.

bigE79

Reaction score

I'm happy for Dware but in no shape or form could he touch Harvey Martin,who,if I'm not wrong, hasn't even been nominated,23 sacks in a 14 game season,dpoy,70s all decade team.the hall is a joke.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
His biggest plus to get in is his games played and amount of catches. I do not think that is enough. He has almost no postseason numbers. He played in the era of pass catching tight ends.

He will go into the cowboys ring of honor but imo has a really low chance at the hall of fame.

You could make the case that the most consequential play he had in the postseason was failing to get a few more inches vs seattle in 06 resulting in the team having to kick a field goal. If he could have carried the safety that hit him a few inches more it was a first down, marion barber would have stuck the ball in the end zone and Dallas would have been on to chicago, a team they matched up extremely well against in 06. He came up short though and then the ball slipped through romo's fingers. Season over.
He got so much attention during his career, for various reasons, I don't see his chances as being low. Certain players capture the fancy of the voters for the HOF, Witten I believe is one of them. Add to his catches the NFL Man of the Year award he got, the number of games played, and most of all ELEVEN Pro Bowl appearances. For a player with that many Pro Bowls to not get in is ludicrous...

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
First of all there are several HOF inductees who didn’t go in as Cowboys. Like Allworth, Adderly, & Ditka.

Here are the official Cowboys inducted: 22 now including non players.

Lilly, Renfro, Staubach, Dorsett, White, Hayes, Wright, Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Allen, Sanders , Haley, Pearson, Harris, Howley , Ware

Non players - Landry, Schramm, Brandt, Johnson, Jone$
Isn't the Pro Footballl HoF different from the Baseball HoF in that inductees don't go in linked to a team and their busts lists all the teams they were affiliated with rather than making them choose?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Isn't the Pro Footballl HoF different from the Baseball HoF in that inductees don't go in linked to a team and their busts lists all the teams they were affiliated with rather than making them choose?
Im not sure. Good question.

The Pro Football HOF does list all of the teams a player played for. But they choose one they designate a home team. And thats the team that gets credit so to speak. But at HOF they have material and uniforms from all the teams they played for.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For the record , Ware is first Cowboy to be inducted without winning a championship in Dallas. He won one of course in Denver .

quickccc

Reaction score
Flat out one of the fastest first step, get off of all time NFL history ................Dware, ...Derrick Thomas, and Mark Gastineau ...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm happy for Dware but in no shape or form could he touch Harvey Martin,who,if I'm not wrong, hasn't even been nominated,23 sacks in a 14 game season,dpoy,70s all decade team.the hall is a joke.
Sacks weren't an official stat when Harvey got his 23. There were other players, like Deacon Jones, who had 22.0 sacks twice, 21.5 once and 19 once. Now he is in the HOF, but he also played for 14 years, vs. Harvey's 11, and had 8 Pro Bowl appearances vs. Harvey's 5.

I agree Harvey deserves a spot in the Hall, but they won't put someone in based on unofficial stats.

I will say, with the election of Howley, there are to me no other Cowboys players whose non-election to the HOF is in the "it's a crying shame" category. Several other Cowboys' players should be in, such as Leroy Jordan, D. Woodson and Cornell Green, but you'd have to make a case for them to be in, and there are other non-Cowboys players who are in the same category...