DeMarcus Ware to sing National Anthem at the NFL 2023 HOF Game

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember those days.
Also - there was an exhibition game where the Division I College All-American players from the previous season went against the NFL Champions - it was the first preseason game that summer.
I remember the college All-Star game versus the defending Super Bowl champions. The last college All-Star game played was in 1976 versus the Steelers. There was a monsoon during the game and they called it after the 3rd quarter with the Steelers up something like 24-0.

Motorola

Reaction score
I remember the college All-Star game versus the defending Super Bowl champions. The last college All-Star game played was in 1976 versus the Steelers. There was a monsoon during the game and they called it after the 3rd quarter with the Steelers up something like 24-0.
You are correct.
The first game was in 1934 - ended in a 0-0 tie between the Bears and the All-Stars.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You are correct.
The first game was in 1934 - ended in a 0-0 tie between the Bears and the All-Stars.
The college all-stars actually won at least one of those games against the mighty Packers. I read where Vince Lombardi was embarrassed and furious. I enjoyed watching those games, wish they still played them.

Motorola

Reaction score
The college all-stars actually won at least one of those games against the mighty Packers. I read where Vince Lombardi was embarrassed and furious. I enjoyed watching those games, wish they still played them.
I did too; to me, it was the unofficial start to football season - start paying attention to the teams on both the collegiate and professional levels.