Demarcus Ware's offsides penalties *Merge*

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
The league will write an apology letter, and we are out of the playoffs. Such is life.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1904040 said:
he moved when the ball was starting to be moved by O'Hara. That call gave the Giants 7 points.

He moved when the ball was STARTING to be ...

WHAT ??? :banghead: Please don't post if you don't understand what is being discussed.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, Ware started moving before the ball was snapped. That'll get called almost every time. It wasn't like the times earlier in the season when he had perfect timing and still got flagged.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
Dallas;1903989 said:
What is going on with this?

This is like the 3rd time Ive seen Ware get some phantom offsides call. He is lightning fast and it's not fair they have some 60 yr old codger calling him offsides when it clear that he is leaving the same time the ball starts to snap.

What a crock. How does Jerry get that addressed?

If the Cowboys were smart they would have contacted the league/officials much earlier about this problem. Maybe the refs would have anticipated a non-call in that situation.

superpunk

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1904051 said:
Like I said in another thread, Ware started moving before the ball was snapped. That'll get called almost every time. It wasn't like the times earlier in the season when he had perfect timing and still got flagged.
I'm coming around to that.

Just because we can slow it down to super slo-mo and prove he stayed onsides, we can't expect the naked eye to pick that out. He was moving before the ball was snapped - the ref's instinct tells him that Ware is offsides.

Can't blame a human ref on that, either way.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
superpunk;1904069 said:
I'm coming around to that.

Just because we can slow it down to super slo-mo and prove he stayed onsides, we can't expect the naked eye to pick that out. He was moving before the ball was snapped - the ref's instinct tells him that Ware is offsides.

Can't blame a human ref on that, either way.

Well that is just stupid. The player gets a penalty even tho he really isn't offsides? So it's all ok because it's human error? You can't expect the ref who is looking straight down the line to notice the ball and the player? That's asking to much from the ref making 10k/game?

OMG- Here we have this talented player w/ a first step that is off the charts. He is so magnificently gifted with speed that the NFL can't tell if he is really offsides, so they just call him offisides because nobody can really be that fast.

I remember Troy in yesterdays game saying this very same thing. Ware didn't appear to be offsides.

This is such a load of crap. Gosh- now im irritated.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dallas;1904078 said:
Well that is just stupid. The player gets a penalty even tho he really isn't offsides? So it's all ok because it's human error? You can't expect the ref who is looking straight down the line to notice the ball and the player.

That's asking to much from the ref making 10k/game.

What a bunch of crock.

First, on this play I haven't seen definitively that he wasn't offsides. It's VERY close. Also, I've rarely seen any player with Ware's anticipation and burst. That's tough for referees to adjust too, although I'm sure as his career goes on he'll get the benefit of the doubt more and more.

His other offsides penalties that have been proved bogus are inexcusable.

This one, there's no definitive proof he's not offsides.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1904083 said:
First, on this play I haven't seen definitively that he wasn't offsides. It's VERY close. Also, I've rarely seen any player with Ware's anticipation and burst. That's tough for referees to adjust too, although I'm sure as his career goes on he'll get the benefit of the doubt more and more.

His other offsides penalties that have been proved bogus are inexcusable.

This one, there's no definitive proof he's not offsides.

kinda just justifying a mistake, he was or wasn't, the evidence points to he wasn't more than he was, the call shouldn't have been made, especially given the mistakes previous this year. And more over the implications of the call when weighed against the out come of the play if their was no call.

he moved before the ball did but its pretty much 90 percent clear he wasn't offsides, thats enough to warrant pissed off in my opinion.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;1904091 said:
kinda just justifying a mistake, he was or wasn't, the evidence points to he wasn't more than he was, the call shouldn't have been made, especially given the mistakes previous this year. And more over the implications of the call when weighed against the out come of the play if their was no call.

he moved before the ball did but its pretty much 90 percent clear he wasn't offsides, thats enough to warrant pissed off in my opinion.

I really can't tell. For my outrage to kick in, I've got to be at 100%. That's where I am with the Davis UR call and Romo's IG call. I'm 100% sure that those were horrible calls. Ware's - like you said, at best I'm 90% sure he wasn't offsides, after I've seen the play slowed down frame by frame.

I just can't expect the ref to come to a different conclusion in real-time, when I can't even make my mind up about it in super slo-mo.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
abersonc;1902659 said:
This is a COACHING and GM issue.

The COACH needs to make the refs aware of this issue before the game. The GM needs to speak to the league office about the problem so that the league can provide film to the refs so they'll think twice about those borderline calls.

Guys who get that sort of jump are going to get called unfairly sometimes but you can make the refs aware of the situation. By doing he'll get the benefit of the doubt more often

I thought I remember reading an article (spags?) that this would be discussed before the game to make sure the refs were a"ware" of his break on the snap. Whether it happened or not, obviously the refs felt he was offside which I don't agree with.

The officiating was horrid yesterday, but not the reason we lost. We don't want to stoop to the level of Gibbs/Commanders and blame everything on the officiating :)

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1904093 said:
I really can't tell. For my outrage to kick in, I've got to be at 100%. That's where I am with the Davis UR call and Romo's IG call. I'm 100% sure that those were horrible calls. Ware's - like you said, at best I'm 90% sure he wasn't offsides, after I've seen the play slowed down frame by frame.

I just can't expect the ref to come to a different conclusion in real-time, when I can't even make my mind up about it in super slo-mo.

but if its not clear either way, then shouldn't the ref lean more towards a no call?
I agree about those other two calls completely with you.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;1904111 said:
but if its not clear either way, then shouldn't the ref lean more towards a no call?

As a Dallas fan - I say yes.

But if that was Umenyiora instead of Ware, and Romo instead of Eli, I'd probably shift the other way. I can't tell, and usually the defender gets the shaft.

vlad

Reaction score
If Jerry has his wits about him he will harrass the league up and down to at least get this call to be reviewable. Otherwise you are effectively penalizing Ware for what make him so great.

This is like penalizing Randy Moss because he's too fast or can jump too high...ridiculous and unfair.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
bbgun;1903452 said:
He wasn't offsides? Big deal. How does it excuse letting them score on that drive?

If they don't call Ware offsides they punt the ball.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1904141 said:

There you go making lemonaid from lemons again. Please stop doing that.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1904147 said:
Yeah how dare me bring up the obvious :D
Yeah, but that did not mean that the Giants should score a TD just because the converted. They still had a chance to stop them. I am with bbgun on this one.

According to you, everytime a team commits a penalty resulting in a first down, it is automatic that the other team will score a TD.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1904141 said:

Even after that bad call, the Gmen had it on their side of the field. Buckle down and make them punt.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but it happened on a third down and we had stopped them. If the refs call it correctly they have to punt so where are you getting they score anyway?

I don't remember the exact details of the play but I'm pretty sure we had stopped them on 3rd down.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1904204 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but it happened on a third down and we had stopped them. If the refs call it correctly they have to punt so where are you getting they score anyway?

I don't remember the exact details of the play but I'm pretty sure we had stopped them on 3rd down.

Correct, but so what? Life sucks. A (so-called) bad call doesn't give you the right to fall apart on defense. It's not like they were set up at our 20 yard line via a bogus pass interference penalty. Nor did Reeves' penalty before the half mean we had to let them in the endzone.